Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yep, the donation requests are starting already. I hate to sound cynical, but I've found such natural disasters are often exagerrated to generate donations, which never go to the victims. Look at Haiti, much of the country is still in shambles 3 years later. I volunteered to take calls for a local station, people donated from $25 up to $10,000! IMO, they should have kept that money for themselves, for all the good it did the people of Haiti.

I'll probably get a lot of flames for what I'm about to say---like as though I've never been flamed before but why is it we are expected to donate for every natural disaster around the world? What about their own countries what do they do, except misuse the funds we send while letting their own people suffer while their governments pocket our well-intended donations? Let them take care of their own. We have "disasters" here in the USA, people homeless, etc, etc...yet we're the first pocket people want to empty out when something happens, but its ok for our jobs to go overseas while our own citizens lack for shelter, health care, etc.....

IMO, charity begins at home
How is posting in a FORUM ABOUT ASIA "expecting" anyone to donate?

CD is an international website, and you are in the ASIA forum complaining in a thread no one asked you to join. You make me ashamed to be an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:26 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First, please, who elected you the speaker for the "locals"?

I have family in Samar, I can assure you that this storm is not something they have learned to "put up with". My grandfather's house, solid concrete, not some nipa hut by any means, has stood since the early 1900s. It is now gone.

And what possible agenda are you serving by trying to downplay the fact that this is the strongest storm to make landfall anywhere in the world, at any time, since we have been keeping records?
Sorry to hear that. I hope your family in Samar are safe though. Well life is much important than things
because we can replace those. it saddened me to see our Kababayan, we'll hopefully recover from this disaster from few weeks earthquake and now this typhoon, I heard there is another typhoon coming again and hope this typhoon will just go somewhere else. I guess this is the time to give an advance Christmas gift to those people who really need help.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 AM

God Another typhoon is on it's way named 'Zoraida' it will pass in Visayas and Mindanao.

Public storm warning signal number 1 in Siquijor, Southern Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental, Southern Negros Occidental, Dinagat Island, Siargao Island, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, Davao Oriental, Davao del Norte, Samal Island, Bukidnon, Misamis Oriental, and Camiguin Island.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,326 times
Moderator cut: The post you replied to has been deleted

im a cebu city native, and i thought of the same thing--that the people in eastern visayas would've learned how to put up with such at this point in time since they've encountered so many storms before. but the thing is, they have never encountered a storm of that strength that brought in that much tidal surge either. a lot of the people on the coast were already evacuated, but the shelters they went to couldnt even hold up in the brute strength of the winds and the unexpected level of tidal surge. granted, those people could've relocated further away from where they were sheltered/evacuated, but the logistics just werent there to permit such in that amount of time. philippines is not a developed nation--it's a third-world country, and we don't have as much access to technology, infrastructures and logistics readily available to developed nations.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-11-2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 05:26 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
IsraAID sends medical team to Philippines to help after monster storm | JPost | Israel News

Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,326 times
to the powers that be:

since cebu city is now the center of operations for the afflicted visayas areas, why not use all that international monetary aid to build temporary shelters in cebu city (particularly SRP area) and relocate the survivors to cebu instead? that way, aid might be given more peacefully and directly, instead of having the volunteers struggle to reach the victims? all the debris and decaying bodies in those areas will just make it uninhabitable for a while, plus there's no water, power or communications there.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:08 AM

It's amazing how the other countries help our people and hopefully, the donations will go to the people who are affected not those corrupt officials. I'm praying for that.

There are some stranded tourist who are actually give a helping hand and we really appreciated their help specially at this moment.

Stranded tourists help in relief ops in Coron | GMA News Online

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/photo...f-preparations

Last edited by pinai; 11-11-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 06:15 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Moderator cut: The post you replied to has been deleted

You seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Its press was only 895 mbs, it had sustained (not gusts) winds of over 235 mph. This surpasses Camille whose record has stood since 1969.

The station outside Tacloban, could only measure up to 250 mph, and did repeatedly. This suggests, strongly, that there were gusts OVER 250 mph.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-11-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM

63 posts, read 92,564 times
I'll just keep on praying for my countrymen and help in our little but significant way.
We are cancelling our Christmas Party to donate the funds to the people of Leyte, my heart breaks with all of these tragedies.. But I know that we, Filipino can pass through this.

We are thankful to al the nations like the US, UK, Denmark, Netherlands, UAE, Sweden, and a lot more who had been there for us through this time.

God bless us all.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 AM

27 posts, read 45,055 times
Hope people will help each other to build back what have lost. My prayers and thoughts go to them. I know Filipino people would be able to surpass this. They've been through much but still they're moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia