Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:02 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
The only expats that are going to poor developed countries are those with a lower education, such as (English) teachers.
The ones that go to a developed country are usually there for a big career.
Generally way off on this. I'm having a hard time thinking of what one could realistically come across to get this impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 04:24 PM

81 posts, read 246,584 times
I'm not talking about big companies expanding overseas. I'm talking about young single people that are looking for a challenge. Working overseas does look good on your resume.
Developed>developing.
Work at a developing country lacks a lot. (Different work ethics etc).

English teachers that goes to developing countries, teaches English to the people who are willing to work at a Western company.

A lot of Aussie English teachers go to Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia.
They won't go to Malaysia or Singapore, because the English language is already in their education system and their education there is pretty good compared to other SEA countries.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about big companies expanding overseas. I'm talking about young single people that are looking for a challenge. Working overseas does look good on your resume.
Developed>developing.

English teachers that goes to developing countries, teaches English to the people who are willing to work at a Western company.

They won't go to Malaysia or Singapore, because the English language is already in their education system and their education there is pretty good compared to other SEA countries.
I actually can't tell what your point is or was at all.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Developed>developing.
Who told you developed > developing for career? You obviously don't have a clue about what corporate expats are looking for right now. The expats are going to emerging markets at a faster rate than they are going to NY or London.

Emerging countries, a world of expat opportunities: HSBC Expat

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/13/wo...anted=all&_r=0

And work ethics at established MNCs are uniform across countries regardless.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Developed>developing.

Westerners dont come to the Philippines to teach English. There are already plenty of Filipinos who can teach English. They learn it from Kindergarden to grade 12. It seems that most Americans are goin to countries like Korea and Japan to teach English, not poor countries. In fact, many Koreans come to the Philippines to learn English

Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 18,677 times
I think kl better , my friend hv visited Manila once he really didn't like ..
the city isn't safe he hv been stolen around 3 times in there =/

Last edited by Mansoour; 11-25-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Depends what your idea of fun is. If by fun you mean cheap women, booze and maybe drugs, then yeah, Manila wins over KL, but there's little else I can think of where KL lacks compared to Manila. It has all the same mega shopping malls, so much to eat, bars and clubs like any other Asian city with cheap drinks. Plus you can get to some great locations fairly easy like the national parks, e.g. Taman Negara, Endau Rompin, go up to Melaka, Singapore, fly out to Thailand, Indonesia, or East Malaysia pretty quickly. KL city itself is just cleaner, more modern, Manila overall just looks pretty third world in most parts even if it does have shopping malls and a skyline. In some parts it looks almost as bad as Kolkata.
KL is developed city, but recently crime has been a major problem for the city, though its probably still pretty safe for people and yeah its very developed city. KL is very green city with a lot of parks and also its decorated with pretty colonial buildings, its obviously better than Manila when it comes to livability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
True, legal or not it's not hard to find a prostitute anywhere in East Asia.

Yes, there could be several reasons. I don't know how much Buddhism keeps the people in check: I wonder how many Thais really try to follow the Buddha's teaching, like how many in the West follow Jesus' teachings. And Indonesia's murder rate is even higher. I mean they have no qualms about cheating and stealing, or is it more just violent crime? Thailand's homicide rate is actually similar to the US or Philippines, yet it's not seen as dangerous, I wonder why that is? Yeah most Asian countries have very strict gun laws, I didn't know there was a 'gun culture' in the Phils. One could say the 'hot blooded Latin temperament' but I think somehow social unrest has a lot to do with it, as Spain and Italy are very safe. Perhaps it has something to do with Manila funnelling in all the vice. What is crime like outside the Manila capital region?
Indonesians do have qualms about stealing and cheating, where do you get the idea? People constantly beat thiefs and pickpockets as part of the tradition (in fact petty crime like this is much lesser than even in Philippines), if ever they are founded out and also why would Indonesian cheat on you more as compared to the others? (ex: the Chinese? Indians?) Indonesia's murder rate is among the world's highest with 24k people murdered each year but also it is one the nation with highest population on earth. Yes it is not as developed as the US and order doesn't reach its isolated areas and islands, that is why people sometimes do their own justice.

You must have the ideas of "evil bad Indons" because of all the news that you have heard or how notorious they are in your country. (there are even cases where Malaysian criminals try to fake their language pretending to be one)

Last edited by Goshio22; 11-25-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM

The people who cannot see opportunity in crime and poverty in the developing world should just keep to their cubicles in developed countries, where overpaid corporate officers in their late 40s and 50s cannot afford to retire and thus hold up the talent pipeline.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Wrong. More expats go to Manila BECAUSE of its dirt and poverty, not despite of it. It's the same reason why expats are flocking to Jakarta, Sao Paolo, Lima and other cities with slums.

Precisely because there is something to develop attracts ambitious people from around the world looking to make their mark. If the Philippines were all paved over or majority of its citizens superbly educated then it would be a boring place with no opportunities for foreigners to come in. Brands would max out at 5M consumers, BPOs would hire locals at all levels. It would be just like Stockholm.
I wonder though, even the majority of Philippines's educated couldn't get a job that they have to work abroad or even ended up as a taxi drivers, in a country that have problem to provide a job to its own citizen how would it offer wealth to foreigner? so does Manila favor expat than its local? or is there specific position that can only be filled with educated foreigner rather than the local?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I wonder though, even the majority of Philippines's educated couldn't get a job that they have to work aborad, in a country that have problem to provide a job to its own citizen how would it offer wealth to foreigner? so does Manila favor expat than its local?
Locals who went to college and got good educations don't have problems getting entry level jobs. Even graduates of second and third tier schools are being snapped up quickly. What's in short supply are qualified managers and that is where expats are getting hired. The BPO sector has grown faster than the workforce's ability to develop leadership talent so that gap has to be filled with foreign workers.

The other area where there is strong expat placement are with MNCs who are developing their executive talent pool and want to give promising employees the opportunity to move up the ranks. HSBC, Citi, IBM and P&G for example would post young American or European execs in Manila or Jakarta for a few years before rotating them to the head office to take on bigger roles.

The latter example however is becoming less common and the former, more frequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia