Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
What do you mean basic English ????
Even some of our TV commercials are in English.
Please stop saying something you don't know.
All our books in school are in English. Medium of instruction is in English, how can that be just basic ????
Our official language is also English.
I don't know if their Education system is better than ours, but our English accent is better than theirs.
Lol, I missed that one, are you serious? Malaysians may not speak perfect English but it's better than the hyper-rhotic pinoy accent. Especially apparent among more educated Malaysians. Malaysians learned English from the British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
It's a given that highly educated Filipinos and Malaysians speak and write in English properly. But what about everyone else? I don't know about the greater Malaysian population but more BPO companies have located in the Philippines precisely because of Filipinos' grasp of the English language.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's a given that highly educated Filipinos and Malaysians speak and write in English properly. But what about everyone else? I don't know about the greater Malaysian population but more BPO companies have located in the Philippines precisely because of Filipinos' grasp of the English language.
A quarter of Malaysians speak English as a FIRST language, I'm not sure what the percentage in the Philippines is. I can't talk about how well the average Filipino speaks English, because the majority who come here are wealthy enough to afford it. Most Malaysians can definitely speak English (I'd say at least 3/4's are fluent), albeit with an accent some would find strong. Still, Malay is still supposed to be the main language in Malaysia that everyone is required to learn.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Lol, I missed that one, are you serious? Malaysians may not speak perfect English but it's better than the hyper-rhotic pinoy accent. Especially apparent among more educated Malaysians. Malaysians learned English from the British.
I have talked to Malaysians while I was in there and they have this weird intonation, some have this Chinese way of speaking English while some have an Indian like intonation though they were already born there.
Educated Filipinos speak good English too.
I know they learned the British English but majority do not have a British intonation.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Not when it comes to BPO and shared services, where the Philippines is #1 in ASEAN. Come to think of it, Malaysia is surrounded by many #1 countries. Singapore - #1 in finance. Thailand - #1 in autos. Indonesia - #1 in consumer and natural resources. What about Malaysia? #1 in spreading the wealth. What an earned accomplishment indeed! Truly a place for the capable and self-made.
Well their financing couldn't be that bad, they are the center of Islamic bankings.

Quote:
I have talked to Malaysians while I was in there and they have this weird intonation, some have this Chinese way of speaking English while some have an Indian like intonation though they were already born there.
I know they learned the British English but majority do not have a British intonation.
Majority of Filipinos do not speak like Americans, also Indian English do not absorb the British accent.

I think in Malaysia they called their accent Manglish (Malaysian English) its almost similar to Singlish, this kind of accent is formed by many of the ethnicity and language there. But still the British do left them with how to use English vocabs.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The Malaysian accent has Chinese, Malay, Indian as well as British influences. It's an accent I'm of course very familiar with. No, although some Singaporeans do affect a sort of British way of speaking, especially those educated there, or have a hybrid type accent. Lee Kwan Yew is a good example of the 'educated Singaporean accent'. At times he sounds quite Indian actually. Filipinos sound like Indonesians when they speak English, very rhotic with their r's.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well their financing couldn't be that bad, they are the center of Islamic bankings.

Majority of Filipinos do not speak like Americans, also Indian English do not absorb the British accent.

I think in Malaysia they called their accent Manglish (Malaysian English) its almost similar to Singlish, this kind of accent is formed by many of the ethnicity and language there. But still the British do left them with how to use English vocabs.
I never said Filipinos speak like Americans... But he said Malaysians got their English from the British which is like saying they speak like the Brits.
Filipinos also got their English from the Americans but they have their own accent.
I am not really a fan of a Chinese like English as well as Indian like English as it is quite hard to understand.

Here's a Filipino accent :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLabyOSOoM

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-26-2013 at 11:18 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
For the record, I've spent some time in Malaysia and the Philippines, and generally found way more people understand and converse in English, than almost anywhere else in Asia, with the exception of Singapore. Indonesia would be up there as well.

So, regardless of accents or whatsoever else, most Americans/Australians/Koreans/Japanese/etc. who visit Malaysia or the Philippines walk away with the experience that they are being understood, and able to get around just fine in English.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
For the record, I've spent some time in Malaysia and the Philippines, and generally found way more people understand and converse in English, than almost anywhere else in Asia, with the exception of Singapore. Indonesia would be up there as well.

So, regardless of accents or whatsoever else, most Americans/Australians/Koreans/Japanese/etc. who visit Malaysia or the Philippines walk away with the experience that they are being understood, and able to get around just fine in English.
Indonesia which is specifically Bali, which is the main tourism area, there are few good English speaker in Jakarta and Yogyakarta but the general local would be very hard to converse with. But i suppose they're slightly ahead than the Thais, Thailand have very strong tourism which i find rather surprising that most of them understand only very little English. For examle in a minimarkets of Bangkok you would still find people hardly understanding English but thats however not the case with Jakarta.

In Indonesian school there are English language courses, but only the very basic are taught.

@postman, i dont think Indonesian speak like Filipinos... The erothic "r" is definitely stronger in Indonesia, i think the Dutch gets them that and as well the local language. Sumatran Malay sounded like Malaysian when they pronounce the "r" in their language but also at the same time can make it as strong as the other Indonesians. To make things more interesting people of the isles of Riau have similar accent as Melakans and Johorers.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I never said Filipinos speak like Americans... But he said Malaysians got their English from the British which is like saying they speak like the Brits.
Filipinos also got their English from the Americans but they have their own accent.
I am not really a fan of a Chinese like English as well as Indian like English as it is quite hard to understand.

Here's a Filipino accent :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLabyOSOoM
I think it's more influenced by Tagalog, which is similar to Indonesian, so it's no surprise they speak English similarly. However, Malaysians sound different when they speak English. I put it down to the stronger Chinese and Indian influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia