Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
basic english yes, not intermediate
the education system is better in malaysia than in the philippines
Philippines -- World's best country in business English

PH: World's best country in business English

Philippines excluded in English proficiency test

Rebuilding for a Better Philippines: English Proficiency test excluded the Philippines in Asian ranking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM

3,782 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Not when it comes to BPO and shared services, where the Philippines is #1 in ASEAN. Come to think of it, Malaysia is surrounded by many #1 countries. Singapore - #1 in finance. Thailand - #1 in autos. Indonesia - #1 in consumer and natural resources. What about Malaysia? #1 in spreading the wealth. What an earned accomplishment indeed! Truly a place for the capable and self-made.
Don't forget that the Philippines is also #1 in people holding out their hands, begging for money.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Don't forget that the Philippines is also #1 in people holding out their hands, begging for money.
Nope. That would be Indonesia, which also has a much bigger economy and growth potential. There are always two sides to every coin which is something whiners have a very difficult time comprehending. Ambitious people would find it disturbing not to be #1 in anything productive.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Quote:
Nope. That would be Indonesia, which also has a much bigger economy and growth potential.
I always thought that title would go to Vietnam.

I couldn't count the number of times I'd be walking in the streets of Vietnam, and some local who was carrying groceries home, would suddenly stick out their hand as I'm a walking donation machine.

I remember getting lost in a Dalat as well, asked the closest young people, who happened to be students, where such-and-such is, they quickly told me that they'd tell me for a US$1.

This was about 10 years ago though, HOPEFULLY Vietnam has changed since then.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:07 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I couldn't count the number of times I'd be walking in the streets of Vietnam, and some local who was carrying groceries home, would suddenly stick out their hand as I'm a walking donation machine.

I remember getting lost in a Dalat as well, asked the closest young people, who happened to be students, where such-and-such is, they quickly told me that they'd tell me for a US$1.

Vietnam, some parts of China and I imagine Cambodia and India. In Rome I took a photo of two Indian men in orange robes 'levitating' and his 'manager', the guy who stood by the two and I guess made sure that people who took photos paid up (not that there's any law as such, I don't think, they're basically just like buskers, a busker can't force you to pay for listening to him, so it's not like these guys' image was 'copyrighted'), came up to me and demanded 5 euros. I refused. In London a performer dressed as a mime artist took the liberty of putting his arm around me and insisting that I take a photo with him. 'How much?' I ask. 'No cost,' he says in a European accent. So I took the photo and, what do you know it, straight after he demands money! I just walked away.

But yeah, Sapa is probably the worst in Vietnam. Little girls about 7 years old following you for literally five minutes repeating, machine like, 'you buy from me?' Hoards of women descending on you to sell you stuff (literally a dozen at a time), fighting among each other to be the one to sell you something. It's something else, even for Vietnamese standards. That and the Vietnamese people pushing in at the ATM line left a stain on what was still an enjoyable experience there.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Oh it's still bad (one motorcycle taxi driver demanded US $100 for a 1 hour trip to the markets, all the while pleading 'I poor man, I poor man' even when I offered a very generous $50), although I didn't see as many beggars as in Sri Lanka. In Sri Lanka there'd be a whole crowd of old people, many of them crippled, with their hands out at all the tourist sites. Give money to one and the rest would expect something.

Also in Sri Lanka, at the seaside hotel I was staying at, I was on the beach when a couple of men beckoned towards me saying there was a turtle out there. So there was. They lured it in with some seaweed, and asked if I wanted to feed it. 'I don't have money', I said, as I left my wallet in the safe in my room. 'It's okay,' they say (I guess implying it wouldn't cost me). So I feed it and amazingly they ask for money! I tell them it's in my hotel room, they seem rather annoyed, but let it go. But I mean I don't mind giving, but it just feels they're being dishonest/conning you and it's not a nice feeling. It's hardened me to that sort of thing.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:25 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Nope. That would be Indonesia, which also has a much bigger economy and growth potential. There are always two sides to every coin which is something whiners have a very difficult time comprehending. Ambitious people would find it disturbing not to be #1 in anything productive.
What did you exactly experience in Indonesia? No offense but people in Indonesia do not just bugger you and ask "give me money" and lets face the fact, the street of Manila obviously have more beggars and naked kids hassling you and ask you directly to give them money. As rampart as poverty in indonesia is, even in its slums and poor area people just don't simply come and ask you for money. Tourist come to see Jakarta hidden slum and you would hardly see the kids begging for money, they're just happy if they got their pictures taken.

No offense, its just reality people in Indonesia hardly whine if they had a hard life, they would seek something even scavenging garbage piles if it means making a living.

Well just wanna state that actually im pretty dissapointed with Thailand, because when me and my girlfriend are firstimer we went to Pattaya floating market and there's'this costumed figure who she wanted to took picutre with and i didn't know that it will cost you 20 bath just for a photo. Yes its cheap but usually these kind of stuff are free.

Last edited by Goshio22; 12-06-2013 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
What did you exactly experience in Indonesia? No offense but people in Indonesia do not just bugger you and ask "give me money" and lets face the fact, the street of Manila obviously have more beggars and naked kids hassling you and ask you directly to give them money. As rampart as poverty in indonesia is, even in its slums and poor area people just don't simply come and ask you for money. Tourist come to see Jakarta hidden slum and you would hardly see the kids begging for money, they're just happy if they got their pictures taken.

No offense, its just reality people in Indonesia hardly whine if they had a hard life, they would seek something even scavenging garbage piles if it means making a living.
The street beggars in Jakarta were no different than the street beggars in Manila. I was not offended because I do not see anything wrong with that at all. In a truly competitive society, there will always be people who will have less. Some people here who are used to spreading the wealth cannot comprehend that.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
The street beggars in Jakarta were no different than the street beggars in Manila. I was not offended because I do not see anything wrong with that at all. In a truly competitive society, there will always be people who will have less. Some people here who are used to spreading the wealth cannot comprehend that.
Are you sure that the level is no different than Manila's , i went to its tourist area which is the old town and at the same time are the poorest part of the city seeing no beggars on its street. There are occasional beggar that i saw in parts of the city but certainly not at a large number. Have you or when did you exactly went to the city? Beggars is seasonal in Jakarta reaching its peak before the day of Ramadan, which is like a Christmas for the Muslims and people from the countryside (whos some are just pretending to be poor) gather to seek fortune from the people's good mood. And of course this is not acceptable according to the law and they would be caught and sent back.

Beggars in Indonesia has been associated with syndicates that used babies and children as a weapon to gain people's sympathy, on average they received around $100-200 a day that can nearly double a salary of a person working in a month! who would trust them. In reality most of the beggars are not even the real poor people.

There used to be a large number of them around 10 years ago, but then afterwards the law was enforced and campaign to stop people giving money to the beggars were launched, economic boom decreased the scale of unemployed. Now a days the one that approached you at the traffics are street salesman or musician that you can easily refused.

Last edited by Goshio22; 12-06-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 AM

/\/\

I am sure I saw beggars:

Infant-toting beggars to be charged with child exploitation | The Jakarta Post

Indonesian Street Life | How to Deal With Risks While travelling Around Jakarta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia