Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It doesn't have to be number 1 in anything, because that isn't the claim at all. What it does have is a decent economy and a much higher standard of living with a few pretty strong industries which belies the fact that it's a much smaller city in a much smaller country compared to several other Southeast Asian countries including the Philippines. The argument isn't that it's number 1. The whole thing with punching above one's weight is actually not about being the absolute winner in any single category.
By your loose definition, maybe. When I hear that term, it's usually used do describe places like Singapore, Taipei, Rotterdam, Zurich, Helsinki and other small cities and countries that can claim to excel in something despite their small size. Otherwise once could say that Burlington VT "punches above its weight", or even Sienna, Glasgow, Brisbane and what not. They're all decent cities but offer nothing remarkable. "Punching above their weight" in those cases is a bit of a superlative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM

It looks like some people here are more interested in comparing tourist and retirement destinations rather than expat and career destinations. Hence someone's infatuation with cleanliness and murder rates. Can't come to terms with the fact that Manila has a lot more expats than KL, simply because it has more to offer.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Perhaps if I go to the Phils I will just spend a day in Manila, just to see what it's like (and not go out after dark) and then spend most of time day away. I'm more anxious to see what the situation's like there, how bad the poverty.etc is too, not that I'll be making a special trip to the slums. The cemetery where people live looks like a curious attraction though. It's not a city I feel I must visit though.

It's funny because the Filipinos abroad seem so friendly and benevolent...they don't seem like a violent or aggressive people.

Of course I'm sure most actually aren't, but I find that funny.
The mass majority ARE friendly and benevolent, even in the Philippines, and even in Manila. Probably evenmore the ones living abroad, as they have a certain amount of strength and drive to make that happen for themselves.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It looks like some people here are more interested in comparing tourist and retirement destinations rather than expat and career destinations. Hence someone's infatuation with cleanliness and murder rates. Can't come to terms with the fact that Manila has a lot more expats than KL, simply because it has more to offer.
The Original Post says "and you had an independent money source not connected to the local economy", which kind of implies retirement or online business or some other source of income not connected to landing an office job in the respective city.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Thought that was what TB was asking, where we'd rather live, regardless. He didn't ask about career opportunities only.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:26 AM

He also did not ask about which place has attracted more expats, but it's a very important number to reflect about. If Manila is so and so dirtier, less developed and what not vs. KL then why do more expats flock there than KL? The answer is it had something better to offer.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
He also did not ask about which place has attracted more expats, but it's a very important number to reflect about. If Manila is so and so dirtier, less developed and what not vs. KL then why do more expats flock there than KL? The answer is it had something better to offer.
You're using backwards reasoning...like it has been said, many go to the Philippines go there for other reasons DESPITE it's dirt and poverty.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
By your loose definition, maybe. When I hear that term, it's usually used do describe places like Singapore, Taipei, Rotterdam, Zurich, Helsinki and other small cities and countries that can claim to excel in something despite their small size. Otherwise once could say that Burlington VT "punches above its weight", or even Sienna, Glasgow, Brisbane and what not. They're all decent cities but offer nothing remarkable. "Punching above their weight" in those cases is a bit of a superlative.
Well, then keep your own definition. I'm fine with that. As long as we both understood we're talking about two different things then there's no disagreement.

Point is, yea, I would rather live in KL. It fits my personal situation a lot better.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?

Using the key word, METRO, as it opens up to a much larger area. For example, Manila isn't that nice itself, but the suburbs all around it, can be quite nice.

Anyways, if you were to choose one to live in, (and you had an independent money source not connected to the local economy), which would you prefer and why?
Quote:
I think that's exactly what the OP was asking for. I'm sure there's another topic you can make for which one is best for climbing the corporate ladder. A lot of what you're saying is pretty interesting, but it doesn't seem like you're putting into consideration what the OP is actually asking for.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You're using backwards reasoning...like it has been said, many go to the Philippines go there for other reasons DESPITE it's dirt and poverty.
Wrong. More expats go to Manila BECAUSE of its dirt and poverty, not despite of it. It's the same reason why expats are flocking to Jakarta, Sao Paolo, Lima and other cities with slums.

Precisely because there is something to develop attracts ambitious people from around the world looking to make their mark. If the Philippines were all paved over or majority of its citizens superbly educated then it would be a boring place with no opportunities for foreigners to come in. Brands would max out at 5M consumers, BPOs would hire locals at all levels. It would be just like Stockholm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia