Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
It's very common in Indonesia, even the sandwich icecream, though its in Indonesian version with cheap bread
LOL, they do that in the Philippines too. It's strange to me

Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
One of my best friends growing up was Filipino, and I always went his family's bbq's. I couldn't say how much of it was strictly "Filipino," but I have to say that I always looked forward to them!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
LOL, they do that in the Philippines too. It's strange to me
Haha its almost asian thing nowadays

Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe not as common as Malaysia, but I have seen it quite a lot. Also ice kacang with ice cream.

Another very Singaporean thing is an ice cream sandwich from an ice cream cart vendor: a slab of magnolia ice cream between two slices of coloured bread, or wafers.
You do know that Magnolia ice cream is originally from the Philippines, don't you?
I tend to think ice cream sandwiches as American, what's so Singaporean about it?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
You do know that Magnolia ice cream is originally from the Philippines, don't you?
I tend to think ice cream sandwiches as American, what's so Singaporean about it?
Oh, I didn't know that.

Well ice cream sandwiches (with bread) are not a thing here. I've mainly seen them in Singapore.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Spanish food is great. Paellas are great. Also their tapas too.....not sure why Filipino food is not up to par considering the Spanish influence, so i'd have to agree with the OP. Trust me, when you go to Spain, their cuisine is very good. The jamon in Granada was awesome too. If you are in Barcelona, go to La Rita restaurant. Prices are inexpensive with very good seafood....then again, Barcelona is known for good seafood anyway...lol.
We have Paella too especially on special occasions like Noche Buena ( Christmas Eve Dinner ) and Town Fiestas. Paellas are also served in good Filipino restaurants. Some are good, some are just so so since Filipinos do not use Saffron because we don't really grow it and it is very expensive as it is the most expensive spice in the world.
We have Spanish influenced stews " Caldereta, Afritada, Mechado, Menudo, Cozido, Callos and Picadillo.

Spanish food is not really strong or Spicy but their stews are very flavourful.
I guess, Filipino food is just being compared to the spiciness of Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian and Indian as most people think it will be the same as these countries. But what can we do ? Our food is different.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 PM

I made paella the other day, it was delicious and easy to make!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
I made paella the other day, it was delicious and easy to make!
Did you use Saffron ?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:00 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Quote:
Oh, I didn't know that.

Well ice cream sandwiches (with bread) are not a thing here. I've mainly seen them in Singapore.
Ice cream with cookies and wafers, yes! Crepes, brownies or cakes, absolutely! Bread? Is that even available commercially in Singapore? Maybe I should open up an ice cream parlor or pastry shop there. I cannot believe people actually pay money for that.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Did you use Saffron ?
No, I used a spice mix, which had cumin, paparika (didn't know cumin was used in Spanish food), and mixed it with the water I used to cook the rice, and chicken and chorizo in. Albeit it was 'Continental', but it was just the rice mix and the rice, so it's same as making from scratch. Nice and not healthy. Beginning to see paella at some market stalls/restaurants, as well as tapas bars. Spanish cuisine is a totally new thing here. Also there's Portuguese peri-peri chicken like Nando's, it's pretty good but expensive, have you had it before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia