Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM

142 posts, read 239,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Hmmm so the society of Malaysia was like that since back then its completely different in comparison with the Indonesians where Muslims accept other religion since those times, i suppose the religion policy in Malaysia that prevent the Muslims from leaving their religion is also a major issue why they won't just mix as much like they did in past, because of the cultural gap that's provided.
Well do Muslims and Christians seriously frequent intermarry in Indonesia? I don't think it's the case anywhere, that I know of, not at least on a frequent basis.

I think it depended, but in general, religion was a big reason. In recent years government policy has merely codified this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Well do Muslims and Christians seriously frequent intermarry in Indonesia? I don't think it's the case anywhere, that I know of, not at least on a frequent basis.

I think it depended, but in general, religion was a big reason. In recent years government policy has merely codified this.
Its not that frequent since conservative families won't accepted it probably those who are more acceptive and open, but from my observation, its quiet common.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
I pity the non Muslim people in Malaysia.

That's all I can say!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Its not that frequent since conservative families won't accepted it probably those who are more acceptive and open, but from my observation, its quiet common.
My guess it happens in Malaysia too.

In my general experience, when there are small numbers of people in a country with mostly majority of another type, the chance of intermarrying is a bit more likely.

But when a country like Malaysia that almost 20% Buddhist, than those among the large minority group, tend to find quite a few people who share similar backgrounds, and tend to marry them more often.

I always think of U.S. Cities/States...places where they are few blacks, they tend to marry interracially more - like out in California, Seattle, etc. But, a city where it's 50% black, and it's way more likely they'll marry someone of the same racial background.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:29 AM

142 posts, read 239,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
My guess it happens in Malaysia too.

In my general experience, when there are small numbers of people in a country with mostly majority of another type, the chance of intermarrying is a bit more likely.

But when a country like Malaysia that almost 20% Buddhist, than those among the large minority group, tend to find quite a few people who share similar backgrounds, and tend to marry them more often.

I always think of U.S. Cities/States...places where they are few blacks, they tend to marry interracially more - like out in California, Seattle, etc. But, a city where it's 50% black, and it's way more likely they'll marry someone of the same racial background.
You need to understand Malaysia and well, Islam in general. It's different from a black and white Christian or non-religious person marrying. Most Muslims who take the Quran seriously are pretty strict on that fact: if they want to marry a non-Muslim, that person must convert. Of course, not all follow that, but the prohibitions are stricter. In much of the Muslim world, including Malaysia, that's codified into law..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
You need to understand Malaysia and well, Islam in general. It's different from a black and white Christian or non-religious person marrying. Most Muslims who take the Quran seriously are pretty strict on that fact: if they want to marry a non-Muslim, that person must convert. Of course, not all follow that, but the prohibitions are stricter. In much of the Muslim world, including Malaysia, that's codified into law..
That's an important point.

But, do you think that Indonesia has more Muslim/non-Muslim marriages than Malaysia? And if so, what would account for that, if you do believe that to be true?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
That's an important point.

But, do you think that Indonesia has more Muslim/non-Muslim marriages than Malaysia? And if so, what would account for that, if you do believe that to be true?
It has something to do with the society and culture, there's no penalty for Muslims to leave their religion too and little discrimination for people who do so. So the gap between the two religion is killed, also there's no law stating that different religion couldn't get together while retaining their belief.

Some study even suggested that most Chinese Indonesians are in fact partially native, while only tiny minority of them are Muslims. Although this could be accounted to the fact that they married non-Muslim native instead.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
It has something to do with the society and culture, there's no penalty for Muslims to leave their religion too and little discrimination for people who do so.

Some study even suggested that most Chinese Indonesians are in fact partially native, while only tiny minority of them are Muslims. Although this could be accounted to the fact that they married non-Muslim native instead.
So the Malaysian government penalizes Malaysian Muslims for marrying non-Muslims? And Indonesia doesn't penalize Indonesian Muslims for marrying non-Muslims?

Just confirming that...I'm not questioning it, just didn't know about that differentiation, and just seeing if I'm reading that right.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
So the Malaysian government penalizes Malaysian Muslims for marrying non-Muslims? And Indonesia doesn't penalize Indonesian Muslims for marrying non-Muslims?

Just confirming that...I'm not questioning it, just didn't know about that differentiation, and just seeing if I'm reading that right.
No there's no penalty for Muslims to get married with non-Muslim, but it won't be happening unless the partner agrees to adopt Islam as religion. The difference is that there's more available option for both faith to get together in Indonesia, which is not available in Malaysia.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No there's no penalty for Muslims to get married with non-Muslim, but it won't be happening unless the partner agrees to adopt Islam as religion. The difference is that there's more available option for both faith to get together in Indonesia, which is not available in Malaysia.
So, it's the same.

What are the other 'more available options for both to get together,' that occurs in Indonesia, that doesn't occur in Malaysia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia