Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Philippines is America and Asia's red light district. Where all these men go to get away from their families and the law. Yet, nothing is being done to clean up the country. America consider the country a territory but neglects it or simply don't care about the natives. America just needs a place to use for bases and for entertainment.
That's just delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Much of American humanitarian aid, at least the official ones or semi-official NGOs, do carry political conditions that are pro-US and try to achieve certain political objectives. Nothing is free and I can't believe you are so naive.
But putting too much strings (which the US gov't and its representatives are often guilty of) is also bad! If you do it for way too long (the tolerance threshold varying depending on the country) in such an overbearing manner, you are bound to turn away even your allies. My country has long been described as a lapdog of the USA but even it is starting to look elsewhere for various types of aid (like seeking weapons even from Russia and China, or working much more heavily with the likes of Japan in terms of economic development-related matters) and ween itself off excessive US dependence.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:05 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
But putting too much strings (which the US gov't and its representatives are often guilty of) is also bad! If you do it for way too long (the tolerance threshold varying depending on the country) in such an overbearing manner, you are bound to turn away even your allies. My country has long been described as a lapdog of the USA but even it is starting to look elsewhere for various types of aid (like seeking weapons even from Russia and China, or working much more heavily with the likes of Japan in terms of economic development-related matters) and ween itself off excessive US dependence.
the Philippines never received so much aid from the US (compared to other countries, like South Vietnam, etc) , even when we hosted large military bases for them. even after the war, when money is so much needed for rehabilitation, the US made a it precondition that they be allowed to participate in the economy in exchange for loans and aid.

I don't blame the Americans, they are just doing what the Filipino politicians should be doing for their country and that is, work for the best benefits of the people

Old 09-26-2016, 06:47 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,326 times
i'm filipino myself and as far as i know, most of the average filipino citizens actually love the US, hence the enduring colonial mentality. if it weren't for the "patriotic" philippine politicians post war, the philippines could've easily been a US state, and we wouldn't have had such issues with our economy and immigration.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i'm filipino myself and as far as i know, most of the average filipino citizens actually love the US, hence the enduring colonial mentality. if it weren't for the "patriotic" philippine politicians post war, the philippines could've easily been a US state, and we wouldn't have had such issues with our economy and immigration.
that is if they like the Phils to be a state too

Old 10-01-2016, 01:08 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times
It was a long time ago the US and the Philippines are close allies now... and the process of the US granting the Philippines independence started long before WWII even started. What the Japanese did was much worse and the US and General MacArthur fought for the Philippines. It is sad the war happened but the US gaining the Philippines from the Treaty of Paris in the end probably helped the Philippines.

Spain was the country and empire that wanted to conquer the whole world and the US crushed them once and for all.

I've talked to my share of people from the Philippines I don't recall any of them calling me an American jerk because of what happened over 100 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Philippines is America and Asia's red light district. Where all these men go to get away from their families and the law. Yet, nothing is being done to clean up the country. America consider the country a territory but neglects it or simply don't care about the natives. America just needs a place to use for bases and for entertainment.
That's silly while the Philippines certainly does have many beautiful, awesome women (at least I think so)... very very few people in the US have even been to Asia period. It's expensive and time consuming to fly there from the US. Especially the eastern part of the US.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It was a long time ago the US and the Philippines are close allies now... and the process of the US granting the Philippines independence started long before WWII even started. What the Japanese did was much worse and the US and General MacArthur fought for the Philippines. It is sad the war happened but the US gaining the Philippines from the Treaty of Paris in the end probably helped the Philippines.

Spain was the country and empire that wanted to conquer the whole world and the US crushed them once and for all.

I've talked to my share of people from the Philippines I don't recall any of them calling me an American jerk because of what happened over 100 years ago.

That's silly while the Philippines certainly does have many beautiful, awesome women (at least I think so)... very very few people in the US have even been to Asia period. It's expensive and time consuming to fly there from the US. Especially the eastern part of the US.

the average filipino hardly ever considers americans jerks. a lot of times, we consider the indians, koreans and chinese the jerks due to their unethical business practices back home. they're even better than us at finding loopholes around laws to get away with.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:50 PM

heck, people of my generation and younger do not hate the spaniards (who have colonized us for the longest) nor the japanese. for the most part, the younger people are really quite indifferent toward people of those nationalities or that time in history. there may still be a few people who were affected by the japanese occupation, but they're senior citizens now and there are not a whole lot of them now. the current generation care more about the americans and what's going in the their country's politics, entertainment, economy, technology, etc.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Japanese behavior in the Bataan Death March didn't really differ much from American behavior towards the Filipinos during the Philippine-American War. Orders were given by American officers to murder any Filipino over the age of 10 and villages were frequently razed and completely destroyed. Concentration camps were also extensively used and Filipino civilians were interned in them. Torture techniques that were made infamous by the Japanese during WWII were used extensively by Americans against captured Filipino insurgents.

Ironically, Americans accuse the Japanese of not teaching WWII correctly but the Philippine-American War is also largely ignored and treated as a mere footnote of American imperialism. Strange enough, Filipinos have good relations with both America and Japan and view those two countries as close allies.

it's not as strange with the US considering the US has turned things around for the better after driving out the japanese. as far as i remember, the philippines had one of the best economies in asia (even better than japan and korea) post WWII. i think with japan, japan actually did more of the heavy lifting to turn things around too. even now, when they do business in the philippines, japanese companies tend to be more conscientious with following philippine laws, not like chinese, korean and indian companies/employers.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:35 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
I read in an online article of the Wall Street Journal that Duterte's dislike of the US comes partly from the Philippine-American War and Moro Rebellion. Who knows if he might try to pressure history teachers in the Philippines to adopt an anti-American slant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia