Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 04:12 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times

Advertisements

1. How good looking is your current girlfriend? 2. Do you realize how pretty native Vietnamese women are? I've visited there, the women are smoking hot, perhaps the prettiest in all of Asia in my opinion. 3. Add 1+2 together. You might have a new girlfriend very quickly if you move. 4. Your girlfriend may move back. You? You may never make it back LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 07:46 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Hi all,

My girlfriend (who is neither American nor Vietnamese) wants me to move to Hanoi with her from the US for her job in a year. Obviously, this is a make-or-break the relationship kind of event, and it has me stressed. For the first time in my life, I like my job and and can see it going somewhere. I like the city that I live in (or at least, I'm pretty comfortable here and could settle down here). The idea of moving to Vietnam is thus a little scary (I've never even been to Asia) but at the same time very alluring; maybe I'm too complacent where I'm at, and Hanoi could be an adventure. I always wanted to live in or visit SE Asia, but that was when I was younger. I'm 30 now (which feels pretty old!).

So I guess what I'm asking is,
  • Have you, or anyone you know, ever been in a similar situation? What did you do?
  • How easy is it for Americans to find good work in Vietnam? I currently work in real estate finance for a bank, I'd like to find something in real estate/banking/finance. Is Vietnam one of those countries where they love Westerners, and you can earn a good living?
  • Anything else you can think of.
I realize this is a pretty vague thread, but this news just got dropped on me and I don't even know how to begin assessing how to decide. Visiting Vietnam is out of the question for awhile, too, due to vacation time and other constraints.

Cheers
Without speaking Vietnamese finding work might be difficult. On the other hand you might find a Viet. company that needs an American with your skills.

I've never been to Vietnam but had a friend who taught English in Hanoi for a couple of years. Unlike in the South the people in the North were quite curious to meet an American.

Bad new is corruption in the North (as well as the South) is rampant. Can't trust anyone. You're an American which means you've got money. Or at least a helluva a lot more than the ave. Vietnamese.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:43 PM

65 posts, read 44,397 times
Going to VN with a girl is like bringing coal to New Castle. It is getting much more difficult to get permission to stay, too. They finally figured out that many, who couldn't maintain their permission to stay in Thailand flocked there, and brought their beards and body odor, but not much cash...not their kind of people. Also heard that the gold digging is so bad it would make a Bangkok HiSo blush.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:54 PM

497 posts, read 696,131 times
Tomboy - why do you keep resurrecting old posts in the Asia forum? The OP is no longer an active member and he posted his original message in 2015.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:09 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira kira View Post
Tomboy - why do you keep resurrecting old posts in the Asia forum? The OP is no longer an active member and he posted his original message in 2015.
LOL...several of us have noted this. Please complain to the mods by using that "report" button, maybe Tomboy will get some, errr, "moderation" action finally.

See last page of this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/asia...a-split-6.html

Old 08-24-2020, 10:09 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
I would do this without a second thought. Especially now, the ability to get out of the country and experience something different sounds incredibly alluring.

Unrelated: since when can you make posts here as a guest?

Old 08-25-2020, 05:20 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,832 times
I get a kick out of posters who never bother to read any of the material in the thread but go on to explain in painful detail how they'd handle the situation. What the heck, since the poster started this in 2015 I'll give it a shot!

Possible options coming from this 2015 thread:
[list][*]The couple married, have three kids now, and live in the Bronx NY, after a successful career in the travel industry which they stared in Ho Chi Minh city.
[*]The couple broke-up. The poster married a lovely Canadian lady. The marriage didn't last, as she wanted to move to Greenland, and he had his heart set on Asia.

I'm sure I could come up with some other possibilities, but gots to go to breakfast!

Rich

Old 08-25-2020, 07:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I get a kick out of posters who never bother to read any of the material in the thread but go on to explain in painful detail how they'd handle the situation. What the heck, since the poster started this in 2015 I'll give it a shot!

[list][*]The couple married, have three kids now, and live in the Bronx NY, after a successful career in the travel industry which they stared in Ho Chi Minh city.
[*]The couple broke-up. The poster married a lovely Canadian lady. The marriage didn't last, as she wanted to move to Greenland, and he had his heart set on Asia.

I'm sure I could come up with some other possibilities, but gots to go to breakfast!

Rich
This sub-forum is so polluted with old threads resurrected that I was thinking of making a game out of it. We could:
  • Count how many users that responded years ago now have "not a member" (i.e. banned) under the title. For this one count is zero, but it amazes me sometimes you get 3 or 4.
  • Laugh and make fun of the current responders that think this just happened yesterday.
  • Make up a story of what may have happened to the OP that resolved his issue or question between then and now. Award for most creative story.
  • Complain to the mods than make a bet on how many days until they respond and close the thread.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:43 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamFong View Post
Going to VN with a girl is like bringing coal to New Castle. It is getting much more difficult to get permission to stay, too. They finally figured out that many, who couldn't maintain their permission to stay in Thailand flocked there, and brought their beards and body odor, but not much cash...not their kind of people. Also heard that the gold digging is so bad it would make a Bangkok HiSo blush.

Yes correct! Nobody wants the dreaded backpackers in their country but at the moment the hot spot is Vietnam.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:05 PM

18 posts, read 15,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post

Rich
I signed-up just to post my sentiments agreeing with the first sentence above.

Revived necro threads, without acknowledging them as such by the poster doing the resuscitation, are usually rather amusing. I noticed the OP never responded either. Guess one shouldn't be surprised given the Guest userid designation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia