Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 03:57 AM

349 posts, read 488,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Bangkok is so far ahead of other Asian cities in this category, it is not even funny.
Maybe if you're a sex tourist. I've visited Bangkok twice, and don't deny you can have a lot of fun there for a cheap price, but I wouldn't say it's so far ahead. It's subjective, and will depend on your personal preferences. I've heard Seoul's nightlife is pretty amazing, but it's a bit less foreigner-friendly (though growing so) but haven't visited or partied in Seoul. I'm not a big party animal, but in Asia I have been to:

Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Penang/George Town
Bangkok
Phuket (mostly Patong)
Chiang Mai
Bali (I know it's not a city)
Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon
Hue
Hanoi
Taipei
Kaohsiung
Hong Kong
Macau
Xiamen
Fuzhou
Beijing
Xian
Chongqing
Osaka
Kyoto
Tokyo
Yokohama
Colombo
Dubai

Bangkok is good if you just like getting drunk cheaply, you like go go girls with scantily clad prostitutes/ladyboys you can bang for $50 a pop (not that it's my scene), clubs full of tourists.

Singapore has a pretty good nightlife scene, it's not as boring as some would have you believe, but the big drawback is prices. Both the nightlife and prices are more similar to what you'd find in any developed first world country. There are a few more 'sophisticated' venues, clubs, lots of sort of hip bars.etc. Clarke and Boat Quay is probably the hub for nightlife in SG but there are various areas. Went to Ministry of Sound years ago and it was pretty pumping.

Hong Kong is supposed to have a really good nightlife scene too. I haven't really gone out there though so I can't speak from experience.

Macau is naturally compared to Las Vegas, and it has a lot of nightlife. Also a lot of prostitution, a bit higher class than Bangkok, Pattaya, Manila, Angeles city..

Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City: An emerging city in economically booking Vietnam, it's only recently opened up to foreigners. There are foreigners bars, and a few clubs, but it's still pretty Vietnamese focused. Beer is cheap though, but it's still pretty staid compared to Bangkok if you ask me.

Hanoi has a little more of that sophisticated faux-European vibe. It apparently has a jazz scene.

Beijing is supposed to be pretty good for nightlife, and with an emerging expat presence. It has quite a broad live music scene, a lot of punk and metal bands for instance, and lots of the usual clubs with EDM. It's also cheap.

Tokyo: yeah Tokyo is a pretty incredible city, of course, from maid cafes, to karaoke and hostess bars.etc. Despite being so huge I found knowing where to go a bit disorientating. It has the usual nightclubs, bars, pubs, hip joints, but it'd be good to have a guide with you because it's so huge!

Sorry probably went on a bit more than I intended to again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 02:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,247 times
Singapore
Shanghai
Hongkong
Nanjing
Tokyo

Old 05-25-2015, 09:48 AM

750 posts, read 643,698 times
From a single males perspective

1) Manila
2) Bangkok
3) Jakarta
4) Shanghai
5) Tokyo
6) Hong Kong
7) Taipei
8) Seoul
9) Saigon
10) Phnom Pehn

Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
getting drunk cheaply, you like go go girls with scantily clad prostitutes/ladyboys you can bang for $50 a pop (not that it's my scene), clubs full of tourists.
Wow. Some people's definition of "fun" differs radically from mine.

I''ll vote for Petro-Pavlovsk Kamchatsky. Hot springs! Native culture! Beaches! And yes, they do have bars. Good vodka! If the Icelanders like it, it must be good.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
From a single males perspective

1) Manila
2) Bangkok
3) Jakarta
4) Shanghai
5) Tokyo
6) Hong Kong
7) Taipei
8) Seoul
9) Saigon
10) Phnom Pehn
Single male translates to 'ease of finding cheap sex' lmao

and cheap everything else

Old 05-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I''ll vote for Petro-Pavlovsk Kamchatsky. Hot springs! Native culture! Beaches! And yes, they do have bars. Good vodka! If the Icelanders like it, it must be good.
While the majority of tourists to Bangkok are not sex tourists, it still is a major component. Actually the majority are from other Asian countries, like Japan, South Korea, Singapore, but they don't get the same attention as the western men because they don't stand out a lot. But I think anyone who bangs on about Bangkok (pun intended) is likely looking for a bit of naughty fun. I mean you can have a lot of fun in BKK if you just like eating good food and getting drunk, but take away the sleaze factor and Bangkok isn't exactly that spectacular.

If you're idea is amazing live music or massive clubs, I'd actually say Hong Kong, Seoul, Beijing would be better.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:34 PM

440 posts, read 661,933 times
Yes, the majority of tourists to Thailand are from Asia, China being the number 1. They behave very differently when they are in Thailand. Like getting drunk, partying or flirting with the locals are not what they usually do.

If you like fashion and technology, Tokyo and Seoul are the places. There also the places if you are into J-pop and K-pop.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I''ll vote for Petro-Pavlovsk Kamchatsky. Hot springs!
You call an average temperature of 2 degrees celsius hot

Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You call an average temperature of 2 degrees celsius hot
She meant Warmwaterbron.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:22 PM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
She meant Warmwaterbron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia