Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 AM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times

Advertisements

^ LRT isnt the only line in Manila. I posted this like a month ago. Please read the numbers...

I would say Jakarta has better transit than Manila. Indonesia in general has traditionally been a more train-riding society than the Philippines.

Jakarta has 6 commuter (heavy rail) lines, covering 418 km. An airport link train link (54 km), and an airport skytrain (3 km). Plus it's opening an LRT line (6 km) and an MRT line (16 km) in March. So that's 475 km of train currently, extending to 497 km soon. Then there's the BRT (231 km)

Manila has 1 commuter line (56 km), 2 LRT lines (34 km total, extending to 38 km this year), 1 MRT line (17 km), and opening up another MRT line within a year (another 23 km). So currently 107 km of trains in Manila, extending to 134 km in a year's time. Manila also has a river ferry line (28 km)

When it comes to daily ridership:

Jakarta:
KRL Commuter lines- 1 million
Soekarno–Hatta Airport Rail Link- 33,000 at full capacity
MRT- 173,400 (future estimate)
LRT- 76,140 (future estimate)
= 1.2~1.3 million, including the lines that will open up this year

Manila:
LRT1- 500,000
LRT2- 200,000
MRT- 560,000
PNR- 50,000
= 1.3 million currently

and then the MRT7 (next year) will add 450,000 (future estimate)

So both cities have around the same amount of train passengers.

Besides trains, the BRT in Jakarta has almost 700,000 daily riders. Manila doesnt have a BRT, but 1.3 million ride buses daily. A BRT would be nice. Many of the buses in Manila are nice, especially the P2P buses. but they dont have a dedicated lane like the BRT.

Manila just started construction on an additional commuter line (expected to be complete by 2022), and 2 subway lines (supposed to be complete by 2025) but we'll see how long it really takes.

TLDR- Jakarta has a more extensive train system and a more organized bus system. But Manila has more passengers using trains and buses.

Last edited by manolopo; 04-24-2019 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Yeah..Manila is beautiful especially in the BGC area, but besides that this is still bad this same like Jakarta but Jakarta is still better than Manila
that is why Jakarta is an alpha world city and Jakarta is always * be in between KL and BKK

BTW..a video of Jakarta in the Sudirman - Thamrin Area how about Jakarta looks stunning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsax9FpFCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEmwKmmX2w
BGC isnt the only nice area. Its just the largest and newest. I mention other areas plenty of times. Makati, Alabang, Eastwood, Bay City, Newport City. You mention Surdiman a lot too. The video doesnt show anything beautiful. Just people walking next to a big highway. No shops, restaurants on the street level. Theyre inside the mall. Also, Jakarta should be an alpha world city because its the capital of one of the largest countries in the world. That plays a big part in those rankings. It’s about which cities are more powerful. Its a wealthier, more powerful city, but it still has a lower quality of life than Manila. That really says something

Last edited by manolopo; 04-24-2019 at 06:11 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 08:57 AM

22 posts, read 14,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
BGC isnt the only nice area. Its just the largest and newest. I mention other areas plenty of times. Makati, Alabang, Eastwood, Bay City, Newport City. You mention Surdiman a lot too. The video doesnt show anything beautiful. Just people walking next to a big highway. No shops, restaurants on the street level. Theyre inside the mall. Also, Jakarta should be an alpha world city because its the capital of one of the largest countries in the world. That plays a big part in those rankings. It’s about which cities are more powerful. Its a wealthier, more powerful city, but it still has a lower quality of life than Manila. That really says something
Considering it always was ranked lower, and actually keep climbing up the rank, should say something.

They're cbd area, not meant for commercial or touristic purpose. I think its fair to say that Jakarta is not aesthetically pleasing nor good for tourist visit. It was always like that since the Dutch found the city, messy gemeente planning and disgusting canals/waterways. Then it was made worse by 20th century population explosion. Good governance of the city actually lost its potential when they replace Ahok with new sh*thead Anies, under religiously racist circumstances.

Metro Manila is the best city in the world, thanks to slight margin of better quality of life than one of the world's worst metropolis. Lol.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
Quote:
yes, Jakarta CBD or Sudirman is a business area not for Kormesil, malls, restaurants or tourist but now the area is more alive because there is MRT transportation.

By looking at this video we realized that Jakarta is far better than Manila as a whole (mantap bang angkotnya hahahahaha )

Indonesian visit Manila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYILQZacTBs

Filipina visit Jakarta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txKpJ95w6_k

Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 PM

^ so the 2 minute video of a small part of Manila shows everything? You dont have to post anecdotal things like that. We already have 2 objective major indexes that show which city has the better quality of life.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:09 PM

90 posts, read 111,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
That is precisely what is interesting from Jakarta,Oke... by the way

One area in Jakarta but not CBD , a place that is visited a lot and is never deserted with many green spaces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzhhBbvvF98
❤ one of my favorite places is perfect for a hangout and one of the favorite places for residents of Jakarta especially weekends is almost full of visitors. in Manila only shows walkable and of course Jakarta has advantages such as food, culture, skyscrapercity, transportation etc.
West and south Jakarta has almost the same attraction people to come

Old 04-24-2019, 11:11 PM

90 posts, read 111,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
Lol as if you have ever rode an angkot and call people lazy for trying to make their life easier. Ojek have long been a mode of transportation in the city and these companies simply organize them. You also have no idea how convenient they are. Btw isnt population simply the answer to traffic issues? And the fact that Jakarta is wealthier city, which simply makes ownership of vehicle far more common?

Accrding to wiki manila lrt serves 760k daily ridership, Jakarta krl serves 1 million people and brt serves 600k people. You are spouting nonsense id say, but do ride your very comfortable jeepneys and aging lrt lol.
Agree

Old 04-25-2019, 02:41 AM

400 posts, read 238,392 times

Opinion from Filipino trying Jakarta-Bandung inter-city train. As expected, he loved it.

He tried Jakarta MRT and free Citytour Bus

He explored Monas area and ride Metrotrans. Metrotrans is different from TransJakarta BRT, it doesn't have dedicated lane. Pretty much just modernized ordinary bus, simply tap your card and ride.

These videos shows that Jakarta is moving to the right direction. Slowly but sure ineffective transportation like Angkots or Kopajas will be gone. Replaced by more modern and more efficient ones.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 AM

732 posts, read 779,791 times
Quote:
^ LRT isnt the only line in Manila. I posted this like a month ago. Please read the numbers...

I would say Jakarta has better transit than Manila. Indonesia in general has traditionally been a more train-riding society than the Philippines.

Jakarta has 6 commuter (heavy rail) lines, covering 418 km. An airport link train link (54 km), and an airport skytrain (3 km). Plus it's opening an LRT line (6 km) and an MRT line (16 km) in March. So that's 475 km of train currently, extending to 497 km soon. Then there's the BRT (231 km)

Manila has 1 commuter line (56 km), 2 LRT lines (34 km total, extending to 38 km this year), 1 MRT line (17 km), and opening up another MRT line within a year (another 23 km). So currently 107 km of trains in Manila, extending to 134 km in a year's time. Manila also has a river ferry line (28 km)

When it comes to daily ridership:

Jakarta:
KRL Commuter lines- 1 million
Soekarno–Hatta Airport Rail Link- 33,000 at full capacity
MRT- 173,400 (future estimate)
LRT- 76,140 (future estimate)
= 1.2~1.3 million, including the lines that will open up this year

Manila:
LRT1- 500,000
LRT2- 200,000
MRT- 560,000
PNR- 50,000
= 1.3 million currently

and then the MRT7 (next year) will add 450,000 (future estimate)

So both cities have around the same amount of train passengers.

Besides trains, the BRT in Jakarta has almost 700,000 daily riders. Manila doesnt have a BRT, but 1.3 million ride buses daily. A BRT would be nice. Many of the buses in Manila are nice, especially the P2P buses. but they dont have a dedicated lane like the BRT.

Manila just started construction on an additional commuter line (expected to be complete by 2022), and 2 subway lines (supposed to be complete by 2025) but we'll see how long it really takes.

TLDR- Jakarta has a more extensive train system and a more organized bus system. But Manila has more passengers using trains and buses.
Great summary!

Just one correction though, PNR serves I believe 100,000 daily and MRT3 can go as high as 650,000.

I hope the river ferry would be utilized to it's full potential without affecting the water system of the river much as it can really help decongest traffic more in the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
Lol as if you have ever rode an angkot and call people lazy for trying to make their life easier. Ojek have long been a mode of transportation in the city and these companies simply organize them. You also have no idea how convenient they are. Btw isnt population simply the answer to traffic issues? And the fact that Jakarta is wealthier city, which simply makes ownership of vehicle far more common?

Accrding to wiki manila lrt serves 760k daily ridership, Jakarta krl serves 1 million people and brt serves 600k people. You are spouting nonsense id say, but do ride your very comfortable jeepneys and aging lrt lol.
Before you butt in, do a substantial amount of backreading dude! It was not me who said that Jakartans don't ride angkots (because Jakarta has many cars), it was a statement coming from your fellow Indonesian. Now I see the inconsistency of his statement just to prove a point that Jakartans love and most own cars.

I know they are convenient and I actually agree but it does add to the traffic congestion more rather than reduce it,

Oh yes LRT(LRT1&2) can serve 760k, add 650k with the MRT plus 100k for PNR that's well above 1.5 million ridership more than railway system ridership in Jakarta.

Last edited by neMarL; 04-25-2019 at 05:02 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM

22 posts, read 14,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Great summary!

Just one correction though, PNR serves I believe 100,000 daily and MRT3 can go as high as 650,000.

I hope the river ferry would be utilized to it's full potential without affecting the water system of the river much as it can really help decongest traffic more in the metro.

Before you butt in, do a substantial amount of backreading dude! It was not me who said that Jakartans don't ride angkots (because Jakarta has many cars), it was a statement coming from your fellow Indonesian. Now I see the inconsistency of his statement just to prove a point that Jakartans love and most own cars.

I know they are convenient and I actually agree but it does add to the traffic congestion more rather than reduce it,

Oh yes LRT(LRT1&2) can serve 760k, add 650k with the MRT plus 100k for PNR that's well above 1.5 million ridership more than railway system ridership in Jakarta.
You said more than brt and railway before, how inconsistent.

Why would i read bunch of nonsense? People do ride angkot and metromini, especially the working class. Railway serves mostly people who lived in bodetabek metropolitan area who come to Jakarta to work.

Cars are symbol of wealth and prestige here, which I believe isn't that different from other countries. Just look at most of Middle East and Americas. Most countries who don't favor cars are European countries, thanks to ridiculous parking prices, taxation etc. And that medieval alleyway making life difficult in old town centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia