Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 06:20 PM

22 posts, read 14,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Depends on how you define it. If you define it just 150m or 100m.

This site defines it 100m above.

https://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

11) Manila
15) Jakarta

Also, on the link the other poster provided it only showed 150m for Indonesia and Philippines. It did not mention the cities. And those numbers include proposed and underconstruction. So how's that?
Number of 150m+ Completed Buildings - The Skyscraper Center

Even Emporis lists Metro Manila 150m at 172 versus Jakartas 149. Take note these are only completed buildings unlike the other posters link which included proposal, underconstructions and what-not.

Metro Manila- (Total)172
*Quezon City- 22
*Manila City- 18
*Taguig-29
*Pasig-11
*Makati-65
*Mandaluyong- 27
https://www.emporis.com/country/100131/philippines

Jakarta- (Total)149
https://www.emporis.com/city/100259/jakarta-indonesia

How can that be called misleading information? It's hard to swallow because it isn't true at all.
You've got to be kidding me:

Do you even read properly? It says completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 09:03 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post

I'm just saying that Emporis seems more up-to-date because it lists buildings (completed) that your source doesnt, for both Jakarta and Manila.

And like I said, it doesnt really matter which one has more skyscrapers. It's more about how they're planned.

In Jakarta, the skyscrapers are along big highways, like this.
Sudirman
Mega Kuningan
If they're clustered in any way, they're usually surrounding a big indoor mall where all the action happens.

In Manila, they're built arent planned, walkable communities, like this
Makati (photo is several years old)
Ortigas
BGC
Binondo (Chinatown)

It makes a huge difference on the ground-level when you actually plan your skyscrapers around walkable city centers instead of just stringing out skyscrapers along the highway. In Jakarta, it seems like they build skyscrapers just for show, just to look at from the highway.

This video about Dubai (starting at 2:35) explains this very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxQHjcctZk

Last edited by manolopo; 04-27-2019 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 09:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
and Manila only shows walkable ? Ho Chi has crucified Manila .. Jakarta is far ahead together with KL & BKK

JAKARTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovsxjRO7BXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9p-sg7fmi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A596D8fHI9Q

Old 04-27-2019, 10:00 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
Pinoys just don't accept that Jakarta has more lot skyscrapers than Manila, it's obvious Manila has a little skyscrapers compared to Jakarta.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
and Manila only shows walkable ? Ho Chi has crucified Manila .. Jakarta is far ahead together with KL & BKK
Crucified Manila in what way? Certainly not in overall quality of life.

Mercer Quality of Living Index (the 2019 ranking just came out):
KL- 85
Bangkok- 133
Manila- 137
Jakarta- 142
Ho Chi Minh City- 153
Hanoi- 155
https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2019-quality-of-living-survey.html

Economist's Global Liveability Index (2018)
KL- 78
Bangkok- 98
Manila- 103
Hanoi- 107
HCMC- 116
Jakarta- 119
Bangkok ranks 98th in EIU Global Liveability Index

Manila is much closer to KL & Bangkok's ranking than Jakarta is. And HCMC is way at the bottom on both.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
I'm just saying that Emporis seems more up-to-date because it lists buildings (completed) that your source doesnt, for both Jakarta and Manila.

And like I said, it doesnt really matter which one has more skyscrapers. It's more about how they're planned.

In Jakarta, the skyscrapers are along big highways, like this.
Sudirman
Mega Kuningan
If they're clustered in any way, they're usually surrounding a big indoor mall where all the action happens.

In Manila, they're built arent planned, walkable communities, like this
Makati (photo is several years old)
Ortigas
BGC
Binondo (Chinatown)

It makes a huge difference on the ground-level when you actually plan your skyscrapers around walkable city centers instead of just stringing out skyscrapers along the highway. In Jakarta, it seems like they build skyscrapers just for show, just to look at from the highway.

This video about Dubai (starting at 2:35) explains this very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxQHjcctZk
Well most of the time you are not expected to walk in to random office towers do you? Besides i don't see why it is more uncomfortable walking in Jakarta's downtown, where it actually have pavement. Especially lately that they've expanded them. Its not like any of them are as walkable as London or even Bangkok. So what is the point of your "walkable community"?

So you are saying that anything that represent better image for Manila is "more" updated? or i guess matter?

Old 04-27-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Pinoys just don't accept that Jakarta has more lot skyscrapers than Manila, it's obvious Manila has a little skyscrapers compared to Jakarta.
No sweety only few minority like this one lol

Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Well most of the time you are not expected to walk in to random office towers do you? Besides i don't see why it is more uncomfortable walking in Jakarta's downtown, where it actually have pavement. Especially lately that they've expanded them. Its not like any of them are as walkable as London or even Bangkok. So what is the point of your "walkable community"?

So you are saying that anything that represent better image for Manila is "more" updated? or i guess matter?
In Manila, a lot of the office towers have stores, restaurants on the bottom level that are easily accessible from the sidewalk.

Like this
Makati
Eastwood
BGC

So they dont just build skyscrapers just to look nice. Regular people can actually go in them and access them from the street-level.

Last edited by manolopo; 04-28-2019 at 12:55 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 AM

732 posts, read 779,791 times
Quote:

That doesn't change the fact that the numbers on that page are still country to country rather than city to city. And that Manila has more 150m buildings than Jakarta. You've got to be kidding me. And you know what it says on that page, it says:

NOTE: Counts of buildings under 150m may be incomplete.

99 vs 84 for ID and PH, respectively. Seriously?

Emporis puts the number at 172 vs 149 in favor of Metro Manila. You see the large discrepancy of the numbers between the two sites. Those are literally double the numbers. Like seriously? You still can't accept the fact?
Quote:
No sweety only few minority like this one lol
Quote:
Honey, only bunch of you here claims Jakarta has more skyscrapers than Manila. Everyone knows including and especially all SSCians, Indonesians and Filipino alike know Manila has more skyscrapers and has better skyline than Jakarta. Seriously, I don't know any site except here that Indonesians keeps claiming that. Like wth, the whole skyscraperworld knows that fact.

Manila trumps Jakarta not only in numbers but also organization and variety.

Last edited by neMarL; 04-28-2019 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
That doesn't change the fact that the numbers on that page are still country to country rather than city to city. And that Manila has more 150m buildings than Jakarta. You've got to be kidding me. And you know what it says on that page, it says:

NOTE: Counts of buildings under 150m may be incomplete.

99 vs 84 for ID and PH, respectively. Seriously?

Emporis puts the number at 172 vs 149 in favor of Metro Manila. You see the large discrepancy of the numbers between the two sites. Those are literally double the numbers. Like seriously? You still can't accept the fact?

Honey, only bunch of you here claims Jakarta has more skyscrapers than Manila. Everyone knows including and especially all SSCians, Indonesians and Filipino alike know Manila has more skyscrapers and has better skyline than Jakarta. Seriously, I don't know any site except here that Indonesians keeps claiming that. Like wth, the whole skyscraperworld knows that fact.

Manila trumps Jakarta not only in numbers but also organization and variety.
I never argue about better skyline nor i understand why you think ssci think so, but do continue the delusional grandeur.

Even the numbers you presented are fake.

https://www.emporis.com/statistics/m...ties-worldwide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia