Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:18 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I was in Cambodia almost as long as you were. And I probably saw and experienced more than you did.
The last we were there was for about a month Dec 2 - Dec 30, if memory serves we visited eight different locations before hopping over to Thailand. The previous visit to Cambodia was a little less (maybe 3 weeks?) but can't be sure since not in current passport.

So you were there for a month then and went all over, that's great! A month really gives one time to get a sense of the country. I assumed you had only been 7 days or so since you said you spent a month total in Asia. Sucks you had to do Vietnam, India, etc. rest of the countries on your trip all in the one remaining day, I bet that was one hectic day!

Did I get that right? For your month in Asia you spent 29 days in Cambodia then one day for all the other countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
The core arguments here are:
  • You say Cambodia is not safe. I disagree.
  • You say it's not uncommon to be scammed by tuk-tuk drivers. I disagree.
  • You say it's easy to find people who speak and understand English. I disagree.
All these things are easily veriable by other readers who have spent time in Cambodia, if any of them care to chime in ...

Old 11-19-2018, 03:05 AM

Wow you sure are going to great lengths to avoid asking the simple question of how long you were in Cambodia to obtain all this expertise. That "almost as long as you" answer appeared to go over like a lead weight, so how long was it? Was I right in my initial guess of one week for Siem Reap and Phnom Penh?

As for core arguments:

1. False, I didn't say it wasn't safe. Here is my exact statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Cambodia is generally safe, but any blanket statement that the whole country is completely safe or that it is safer than anywhere in USA is false.
I took issue with your claim it is safer than USA or completely safe, there is crime in Cambodia and it's worse than many places in USA/

2. Yes, people often get scammed by tuk tuk drivers in Cambodia just like everywhere else in SE Asia with tourists rolling through. Google it.

3. I never said it was easy to find people who speak and understand English in Cambodia, what are you smoking?

Old 11-20-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
there is crime in Cambodia and it's worse than many places in USA/
False, no it isn't. I wouldn't have been wandering around slums if it was.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
False, no it isn't. I wouldn't have been wandering around slums if it was.
So you spent what a week in the country and took a walk therefore you have deep insight into the entire country and how it compares to every location in the United States. Cringe worthy, I'd almost think you were kidding if I hadn't seen same blowhardery spouted from you about every country you've spent a few days in.

From KhmerTimes:
Quote:
Seng Eng, 68, was a Chinese teacher who lived in Phnom Penh’s Toul Kork district. In June, she was attacked by a group of thieves who stole her purse and pushed her on to the road. She suffered head injuries in the attack and died nine days later in hospital. Following Ms Eng’s death, her elderly brother thanked the authorities for apprehending the suspects. But he also appealed for more to be done to prevent bag snatching, a crime that is rampant across the capital. Three days after Ms Eng’s case, a couple died and their three-year-old son was seriously injured after their bag was stolen outside Phum Russey Primary School in Stung Meanchey commune. Mean Pisey, 29, and his wife Srey Vatey, 28, crashed their motorcycle in an attempt to catch the thieves and were killed on the spot. Bag snatchings are a daily occurrence in Phnom Penh, where the majority of victims are women, many of whom are injured in the attacks.

From an expat who lives in Phnom Penh:
Quote:
Street robberies in Phnom Penh, though not common, are reported with some regularity. Most occur at night, near popular tourist destinations and expat areas, and almost always happen to people on a motorcycle/motodup, in a tuk-tuk or on foot. The robbers are sometimes armed with a handgun and usually only want money. Though there have been some unprovoked assaults, they generally avoid applying violence, but will if challenged. Give up your money and they will likely leave post haste.

- Consider traveling about town in a car, especially at night, whether that be a taxi or your own vehicle. You are far less visible, exposed and vulnerable in a car than in a tuk-tuk or on a moto.

- Muggers work areas frequented by foreigners - the riverfront area, Boeung Keng Kang 1, the Street 51 area, near markets and clubs and other tourist haunts. They lay in wait at the periphery of these areas looking for passing or lone foreigners. You are much more likely to be robbed in these areas than in some dark, lonely all-Khmer neighborhood deep in Phnom Penh. Whereas foreigners tend to let down their guard in tourist areas, it is in fact a place to be extra cautious.

- Sadly, muggers seem to target women more than men. Women need be especially careful.

- Do not dawdle at the gate. Over and over again people have been robbed at the point they arrive home and stop to open their door or gate. The robbers descend while you fumble with your keys or wait on an exposed moto or tuk-tuk for the door to open. Best strategy is to have somebody inside the house (maid, guard, family) open the gate as you arrive. Call home as you leave the bar, tell them you'll be there soon so that they can open the gate as arrive and allow you walk or drive in without ever stopping.

From Canadian government travel advisory:
Quote:
Street crime, targeting foreigners, has been occurring with increasing frequency in urban areas, including Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, even during daylight hours. There are reports of armed assaults along the riverfront in Phnom Penh and on isolated beaches in Sihanoukville. Canadians have been injured in the course of assaults and armed robberies. Thieves, sometimes on motorcycles, grab bags and other valuables from pedestrians, motorcycle drivers and their passengers. Banditry continues, largely at night, in rural areas and on routes between Snoul, Kratie and Stung Treng in the northeastern provinces. Sexual assaults have been reported. There have been reports that foreigners have encountered difficulties with ill-disciplined police or military personnel. Canadians are advised to exercise a high degree of caution at all times, avoid travelling alone, especially at night, and ensure personal belongings, passports, and other travel documents are secure at all times."

from Australia:
Quote:
Bag-snatching, other robberies and assaults often occur during daylight hours. There have been reports of assaults and armed robberies against foreigners, especially in areas frequented by tourists and expatriate residents, including the Riverfront in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville (particularly at isolated beaches). You should exercise vigilance when travelling through these areas at all times, but especially after dark. You should limit night time travel around Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville and Siem Reap to well-lit public areas and travel in groups. At night, travel by car is safer than motorcycle, moto-scooter or cyclo (cycle-rickshaw). Foreigners have been the target of sexual assault in Cambodia. Due to the high prevalence of HIV/AIDS, victims of violent crime, especially rape, are strongly encouraged to seek immediate medical assistance.

Levels of firearm ownership in Cambodia are high and guns are sometimes used to resolve disputes. There have been reports of traffic disputes resulting in violence involving weapons. Bystanders can get caught up in these disputes. Foreigners have been threatened with handguns for perceived rudeness to local patrons in popular Phnom Penh nightclubs and elsewhere. Banditry and extortion, including by military and police personnel, continue in some rural areas, particularly at night in areas between Snoul, Kratie and Stung Treng in the north-eastern provinces."

from New Zealand:
Quote:
"There has been an increase in violent crime against foreign travellers, particularly in areas frequented by tourists and expatriates including the river front area of Phnom Penh, and at isolated beaches in Sihanoukville. New Zealanders are advised to be vigilant and maintain a high level of personal security awareness at all times."

So who do we believe? Their local newespaper, expat who lives there, and travel warnings from various countries or the guy who thinks him walking near a slum without being robbed means the entire country is safer than anywhere in the United States. Straight up question = were you nervous in isolated areas of Sihanoukville? That seems to be a common theme in the warnings and reports of assaults, what was your impression of it?

Cambodia is generally safe, but to believe it is completely safe or safer than anywhere in the USA shows is astoundingly naive. There are many places in USA where getting injured from scooter drive by purse snatching or robbed at gunpoint is the farthest thing from anyone's mind because they've never heard of it happening.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:20 AM

Your Khmer article says "more needs to be done about bag-snatching" and discusses a 68-year old woman who died after she was pushed during a bag snatching. It's unfortunate she died, but it's obvious the criminals weren't intending to kill her and she could have just as easily died tripping and falling by herself. The only other death your article mentioned is a couple who died when they crashed their own motorcyle. This was a traffic accident and it was their own fault.

If that's the only evidence of bodily harm caused by robbers in Cambodia, then I have to say you're only supporting what I've been saying all along about Cambodia being safe.

The second article says "robbers generally avoid applying violence." Exactly. They snatch your purse and they flee and that's all.

Let's contrast this with Latin America and Mexico where the majority of thieves are armed with fireguns and in Mexico gun-weiling robbers are likely to shoot you just for sport.

Or let's compare with the neighborhood where I grew up in Albuquerque where there is substantial risk of being jumped and beaten by gang members with chains or pipes, or even being stabbed or shot, depending on their mood at the time or whether they suspect you of being from a rival gang. I prefer Cambodia any day.

You yourself have said in other forums that Government travel advisories are often exaggerated, inaccurate and misleading. So which is it? You believe them only when it suits you, you discard them when it doesn't suit you? This makes you non-credible.

Your article mentions an expat. Well, guess what. I also spoke with a couple expats and they contradict what your guy is saying. The guys I talked to say Cambodia is much safer than their own country (Australia.)

Sorry, but outliers don't give any meaningful information. I want to see hard numbers. Of all the robberies that have happened, how many have resulted in physical injury being caused directly by the robbers, and what kind of injuries were they? (It hardly counts if your only injury is a bruise on your hand while your purse is being snatched).

If levels of firearm ownership are "high" (which I seriously doubt), I want to see numbers: what percentage of the public owns a working firearm? In what percentage of robberies is a firearm actually present?

But, if there's a link with those numbers and those numbers are actually high, then I'll rethink my stance.

Otherwise, I stand by my statement that Cambodia is safe and you don't have to worry about bodily harm there.

Last edited by 80skeys; 11-20-2018 at 04:31 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Your Khmer article says "more needs to be done about bag-snatching" and discusses a 68-year old woman who died after she was pushed during a bag snatching. It's unfortunate she died, but it's obvious the criminals weren't intending to kill her and she could have just as easily died tripping and falling by herself. If that's the only evidence of bodily harm caused by robbers in Cambodia, then I have to say you're only supporting what I've been saying all along about Cambodia being safe.
Dude, do you even hear yourself? You're dismissing a woman killed due to crime in Cambodia because they didn't mean to kill her. The article clearly says "many of whom are injured in the attacks" who reads that and concludes there was only one incident?

Here's another example of waht 80skeys considers perfectly safe with no risk of bodily harm since they aren't trying to kill them:

https://youtu.be/MzfUUlQofo8

Quote:
The second article says "robbers generally avoid applying violence." Exactly. They snatch your purse and they flee and that's all.
Well it says there have been unprovoked assaults as well, is that not violence? It says they are sometimes armed with handguns, that doesn't count as a dangerous situation since they don't actually shoot the gun? You've now moved the goal posts of safety to be where someone robbing a tourist with a gun isn't an unsafe crime event since they only want money.

Quote:
Let's contrast this with Latin America and Mexico where the majority of thieves are armed with fireguns and in Mexico gun-weiling robbers are likely to shoot you just for sport.

Or let's compare with the neighborhood where I grew up in Albuquerque where there is substantial risk of being jumped and beaten by gang members with chains or pipes, or even being stabbed or shot, depending on their mood at the time or whether they suspect you of being from a rival gang. I prefer Cambodia any day.
Your preference isn't relevant to whether a country is completely safe, and after interactions with you and seeing how much BS you constantly shovel I doubt your living situation in Albuquerque was anything like you described, especially since when asked for specifics about any of your experiences you suddenly want to ignore questions. For example, for the 5th time how many days were you in Cambodia? Chirp... chirp... you won't answer because you know it'll make your posts seem even more ridiculous than they already are.

Quote:
Your article mentions an expat. Well, guess what. I also spoke with a couple expats and they contradict what your guy is saying. The guys I talked to say Cambodia is much safer than their own country (Australia.)

Sorry, but outliers don't give any meaningful information. I want to see hard numbers. Of all the robberies that have happened, how many have resulted in physical injury being caused directly by the robbers, and what kind of injuries were they? (It hardly counts if your only injury is a bruise on your hand while your purse is being snatched)
To contradict what the expat is saying they would have had to say there were no robberies and muggings in Cambodia, which I doubt anyone would say because it's easily proven false.

Quote:
Otherwise, I stand by my statement that Cambodia is safe and you don't have to worry about bodily harm there.
Tell that to these two:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/t...bberies-43855/
Quote:
An American construction consultant and a Japanese tourist were shot and seriously injured during separate armed robberies in Phnom Penh over the weekend, prompting the Japanese Embassy on Sunday to express concern for the safety of its citizens in Cambodia. Maurice Law, 57, who lives in Cambodia, was shot in the groin at about 7 p.m. on Friday after being held up at gunpoint while walking home with his wife in Chamkar Mon district’s Tonle Bassac commune. In a separate incident on Saturday night, Sakiko Takayanagi, 33, a tourist, was robbed and shot in the left leg near the popular Night Market in Daun Penh’s Wat Phnom commune at about 8 p.m.
We'll be sure to let them know that someone who was probably in Cambodia for a week says they don't have to worry about bodily harm there. Afterall, he's an expert now.

Here's a video of a guy who was robbed at an ATM, shame he didn't know that our resident expert who discounts any and all evidence of violent crime in Cambodia has decided there is no risk:

https://youtu.be/FAS8a_CZ8_s

Old 11-20-2018, 06:00 AM

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/14...--s-dark-side/
Quote:
Returning to Victory Beach, she was approached by a shirtless Khmer man wearing a distinctive red and green chequered mask, a black baseball cap and ragged shorts. “He grabbed me around the throat and started strangling me,” she recalled. Jane screamed but her cries were not heard. She screamed again and he throttled her until she could hardly breath, let alone make a sound. He then smashed Jane on the head with a rock until she fell to the ground where he violently raped her. When finished, the rapist emptied her bag, apparently disgusted by the small amount of cash the victim was carrying, and ran towards Victory Beach. The police report of the crime, filed with the assistance of local tourism officials, makes for painful reading. Police say they are investigating but have no suspects. Jane received medical treatment and has now left Cambodia.

Second Rape

Three days later, a young Australian woman was travelling back to Otres Beach from Serendipity in a tuk-tuk in the early hours of the morning when she fell asleep. She awoke to find herself partially undressed in an unknown location. Her driver was raping her. In both cases, local expatriates arranged for the women to get emergency medical treatment from a European doctor, a skilled gynaecologist, in downtown Sihanoukville.
No risk of harm in Cambodia according to 80skeys, safer than anywhere in USA.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/11...crime-iceberg/
Quote:
In February, two French women were attacked on Otres beach by two Cambodian men wielding clubs. The next morning, a German was similarly attacked in a similar manner on Ekareach Street, the downtown thoroughfare.

In March, a Spanish woman suffered multiple injuries when robbers tried to grab her bag near Golden Lions. On April 8, a Russian woman riding from Victory hill to Sokha beach around midnight was knocked off her motorbike by unidentified men. They first took her bike, but later returned to beat and rob her.

In early May, a British man was relaxing with his girlfriend on Otres beach when a Cambodian man ran out of the forest and stole the woman’s bag. The man tried to persuade the thief to return the bag, but was stabbed several times with scissors. He was later hospitalized in Phnom Penh.

The following week, two young German women on Serendipity beach were attacked. One was punched in the face after two robbers grabbed her bag. Last week, it was the turn of a Canadian journalist who was robbed of his mobile phone and laptop.

Then this Monday night, around midnight, a 29-year-old Russian woman sustained multiple injuries after being robbed of her money and phone not far from Golden Lions.

Restaurant owner Shazia Shah, 30, has heard her fair share of crimes.
Yep, perfectly safe. Just ask 80skeys, he was there for an entire week.

https://aecnewstoday.com/2015/rapes-...kvilles-charm/
Quote:
n unrelated incidences last month, in the same Sihanoukville area,

Denis Goncharov a 28-year-old Russian was stabbed 30 times in the back before his throat was slashed
A Ukrainian man had his motorbike stolen after being drugged and beaten
An Australian man suffered serious head injuries after being attacked by his motorcycle taxi driver
An English and Canadian tourist were hospitalised after being beaten and robbed at a bar on Ochheuteal Beach
Last week a British man, Phillip Shcimmin, was hacked about the head by a man wielding an axe in an unprovoked attack as he walked with some friends.

What did you think of Sihanoukville 80skeys? Oh wait, that's one of those questions that exposes you a bit more, so best left unanswered...

Old 11-20-2018, 06:06 AM

Zero risk.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/13...-kampot-crime/
Quote:
“Thought I would let people know that I was robbed last night on the dirt road past the new bridge,” said Nick, an American expatriate. “Two Khmer kids about 18 to 20 years old walked up, hit me and stole $120. There was a third one on a motorcycle that took them away,” he continued.

Multiple other residents have also shared their stories on social media in an effort to bring increased awareness to crime in Kampot, which seems to be worsening, and has affected the whole community.

https://thediplomat.com/2013/03/murdered-in-cambodia/
Quote:
Cambodian police are having a torrid time lately. Murdered foreigners are turning up at an alarming rate and the authorities are struggling to catch those responsible. In mid-February a French woman was found dead. The 25-year-old was naked and had been bludgeoned on the head. Her clothes and the bike she was riding when she disappeared on a Saturday evening have not been found. Police say they have no idea who killed her. Her name has not been released.

https://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/94791.html
Quote:
PHNOM PENH - A Dutch woman who died in a rented house in Phnom Penh, A teenage girl with a bloody throat, while a 1-year-old girl was seriously injured, sleeping in a hospital. Hospital. This incident sparked a surprise at 9am on April 28 at the house of rent at No. 172, Norodom Blvd, Sangkat Tonle Bassac. Khan Chamkarmon while the cleaners went upstairs. Currently, the competent authorities are checking for examination without knowing what the case is but suspicion of the murder.

Any thoughts on the situation in Kampot? Surely you spent some time there as well to get this well-informed view that there is no risk of bodily harm in Cambodia. Chirp... chirp...

Old 11-20-2018, 07:40 AM

No worries, entire country perfectly safe.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/nation...ped-and-robbed
Quote:
BATTAMBANG provincial police have detained a Cambodian monk accused of raping a female British backpacker at a resort near Phnom Sampov mountain. Bun Sambo, police chief of Banan district, said that on Tuesday the alleged victim accused Than Sophoan, 17, of raping her on her visit to the area. Bun Sambo added that on Wednesday, Than Sophoan was arrested after being defrocked and escorted into provincial police custody for further questioning.

Monk confesses

"He confessed that he raped and robbed her," Bun Sambo told the Post Wednesday. "We took the victim to the provincial hospital for an examination and they confirmed that she [showed signs of sexual assault]."

Apparently this isn't a safety issue since they weren't trying to kill her.

https://cne.wtf/2018/09/02/battamban...ck-australian/
Quote:
Battambang police chief Colonel Pang Hieng said two suspects on a black Honda motorcycle snatched a bag from Laura Nana, 35, an Australian, causing her some painful injuries.

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feat...etreg&region=2
Quote:
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has updated its travel advice for Cambodia warning women to take care in the tourist resort of Siem Reap. It says this year there have been several cases of lone women being sexually assaulted by men claiming to be motorbike taxi drivers in the Pub street area of the resort, which is a gateway to the ruins of Angkor. "You should be vigilant at all times, especially when walking alone," says the advice.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket...sman-39195.php
Quote:
The suspect escaped to hide in Thailand. He is wanted in Cambodia, where he has a long criminal record. The Man, identified as Sok Na, 28, together with four companions, killed Kitakura Kosei, 44, a Japanese businessman based in Phnom Penh, on March 3. They took US$18,000 (B485,000) cash.

The gang had been observing the casino in Poi Pet. Once they saw Mr Kitakura win at gambling, they signaled one another and lured the victim into using their bicycle rickshaw service. The Japanese man was shot dead with a 9mm gun while on the road, and the suspects escaped separate ways. Cambodian authorities had earlier arrested three members of the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia