Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,485,255 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UvRavszvPY

I blame the communist party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Oh Han Chinese are nothing special but just like Russians, Americans, Japanese etc who will not let any part of the current territory go.

LOL Who cares what you believe and think. Your "assurance" is as laughable as your confused view of the world.
The fact is Taiwan cannot claim independence and I'm happy with the status quo.

Another fact is the hardcore pro-independence generation in Taiwan are mainly 30-50 years old. Many younger Taiwanese are actually not that extreme. Heard of 绿蛆?
You're right in saying so.

In my age group I found my classmates and coworkers from Taiwan have been mostly "Green", but younger generations are less so.

Interesting.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's a long story, but a short answer is those who don't consider themselves Chinese all want to claim independence given a chance. Some of those who claim to be Chinese actually want to be unified with China in some situation.
I agree.

The trend of de-sinicization was in heydays when Lee Teng-hui was leader of Taiwan. His administration tried to justify independence of Taiwan by educating the people that they are not Chinese at all.

For ordinary people, this is almost enough to persuade them that they need to found a non-Chinese state.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,037,560 times
Strange to me is how the KMT, once Communist China´s sworn enemy, is now the anchor party of the Blue Coalition, which essentially entertains the idea of possible reunification in the future, whereas the Greens led by the DPP seem to toe a more independence-minded line (without formally declaring it...yet). Is this ironic? I´d say so. But come on, it´s been 70 years...time change...and cultures grow ever farther apart.

I guess in theory the KMT feels like reunification could be more on their terms, or at least the "one country, two systems" ideal would be taken very seriously, and a reigned in Taiwan would not be pushed around like Hong Kong has been. I just don´t know see how that would possible, or how the two countries could come together at this point without it being a serious mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia