Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,524 times

Advertisements

Shanghai has by far the best quality of life if your an expat. No other China city compares, esp if you want options for activities and social clubs and sports.

What's up with Xiamen? I've never heard of many expats living there, esp not long term expats. I've been twice and its a nice city but I didn't see much Western influence or hot areas that expats might hang out in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Shanghai has by far the best quality of life if your an expat. No other China city compares, esp if you want options for activities and social clubs and sports.

What's up with Xiamen? I've never heard of many expats living there, esp not long term expats. I've been twice and its a nice city but I didn't see much Western influence or hot areas that expats might hang out in.
I think they like it for other reasons. The ones I know living in Xiamen have been in China for a long time and studied Chinese. Maybe not a good place for those looking for the excitement of a major cosmopolitan city.

But I get the sense its a good city for a laid-back experience, in a good beach city with better weather than most other places.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
The close-by island, Gulangyu, which is accessible by ferry from Xiamen, is very relaxing and full of western-style architecture. A lot of these villas were built by the wealthy overseas Chinese during the ROC period. There used to be many foreign consulates on this tiny island during the ROC period.

By the way, Xiamen is actually also an island. A side trip can be taken from Xiamen to Kinmen Island by ferry 20 minutes away. The island is administered by Taiwan and in certain way, it is more Chinese than other Chinese cities. Abundance of southern Fujian style architecture and at every street corner you can find the Sea Goddess Temple. People there are more friendly.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:51 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Have you been to Wuhan? If so, what did you think of it?
Visited Wuhan multiple times, not impressed.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Wuhan is at the confluence of the Hanshui and Yangtze rivers. Pittsburgh is where the Allegheny and the Monongahela merges to become the Ohio River. Chongqing is also where the Jialing River meets the Yangtze. All three cities are "river" cities.

I haven't been to Wuhan or Chongqing, so am not very sure how similar they actually are. Wuhan is probably flatter than Pittsburgh, but when I read that its top tourist attraction is Yellow Crane Tower situated on top of Snake Hill, it reminds me of Mount Washington in Pittsburgh where one can get a good view of the rivers and the skyline. Another similarity is Wuhan has some reputable universities, and it has a higher proportion of college students among its population than other cities. Same with Pittsburgh, but both are too big to be called "college towns".
Both Wuhan and Chongqing are very hot and humid in summer. Wuhan has colder winters, with snow accumulations almost every year. Chongqing downtown has not snowed since 2008, although the mountains in the suburbs can be colder.

Chongqing is hilly everywhere. As a result, it is not uncommon that some buildings have the main entrance on Floor 4. Many roads look overlapping on the map but have different heights. Some light rails pass through apartment buildings, and have a station in the building.

Wuhan is much flatter with a lot more lakes. It has severe floods/waterloggings every few years. Wuhan use to have a lot of heavy industries including steel and automobile manufacturing, but now its IT and biotech sections are growing. This may be another similarity to Pittsburgh.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The close-by island, Gulangyu, which is accessible by ferry from Xiamen, is very relaxing and full of western-style architecture. A lot of these villas were built by the wealthy overseas Chinese during the ROC period. There used to be many foreign consulates on this tiny island during the ROC period.

By the way, Xiamen is actually also an island. A side trip can be taken from Xiamen to Kinmen Island by ferry 20 minutes away. The island is administered by Taiwan and in certain way, it is more Chinese than other Chinese cities. Abundance of southern Fujian style architecture and at every street corner you can find the Sea Goddess Temple. People there are more friendly.
I bolded the part about Xiamen and the people being more friendly.

This is the one I've heard the most by long-term expats who live in China for a long-time. I've regularly heard the people are way more friendly, interactive, etc. I've often heard Taiwan is like that too, and since Xiamen and Taiwan have the 'across the straits' connection....

In general, in most other places in China, foreigners often encounter a more harsher interaction or 'lack of interaction' with locals. Xiamen seems to be stressed to me as a place that lacks that.

I've yet to visit Xiamen to experience myself though...

Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Both Wuhan and Chongqing are very hot and humid in summer. Wuhan has colder winters, with snow accumulations almost every year. Chongqing downtown has not snowed since 2008, although the mountains in the suburbs can be colder.

Chongqing is hilly everywhere. As a result, it is not uncommon that some buildings have the main entrance on Floor 4. Many roads look overlapping on the map but have different heights. Some light rails pass through apartment buildings, and have a station in the building.

Wuhan is much flatter with a lot more lakes. It has severe floods/waterloggings every few years. Wuhan use to have a lot of heavy industries including steel and automobile manufacturing, but now its IT and biotech sections are growing. This may be another similarity to Pittsburgh.
With the Wuhan=Pittsburgh reference, I started looking at Wuhan. It does have the rivertown thing going for it, but yeah, picture-wise, Chongqing with the housing dotted in the hills everywhere, has a much stronger 'Pittsburgh' look.

Chongqing looks like a Pittsburgh on steroids 10 million plus people

Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,099 times
Nanjing, Wuhan and Chongqing are known as "Three Furnaces in China". In summer, they are extremely hot and humid.

In 80s, once I passed Wuhan by train. Many people were sleeping on the street on those makeshift canvas beds. Some even slept really close to the rail track.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
I've only been to 4 of them. I'll give my thoughts on all of them

Beijing

I was there back in 2002, so I know that a lot of things have changed. Lots of great historical structures. The Forbidden City and Summer Palace being highlights. The nearby Great Wall is another plus

Shanghai

I was also there in 2002, but already one could see the new developments going on. The Bund was amazing and Pudong was impressive (that's was way before the Shanghai Tower and Financial Center were built).

Hong Kong

Fascinating city. My favorite part was Hong Kong Island. Both the standard double-decker trams and the peak tram are must sees

Macau

Great mix of old and new. On one hand, the Vegas of the Orient, on another a Portuguese colony with an interesting twist.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:04 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I've only been to 4 of them. I'll give my thoughts on all of them
Hong Kong

Fascinating city. My favorite part was Hong Kong Island. Both the standard double-decker trams and the peak tram are must sees

Macau

Great mix of old and new. On one hand, the Vegas of the Orient, on another a Portuguese colony with an interesting twist.
no no no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia