Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 04:46 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
India is primarily Hindu, not Buddhist...but I get your point.
Note that I put down 3 causes - one being cultural and included the issues of diversity on a country. Forget the US crime comparison (crime has been steadily decreasing in the US since the 1990s regardless), once again the topic is Asia. Some of you can't help yourself, I know.

Once again I stress the underreported crime in Mainland China.
https://world.wng.org/2018/10/the_pu...ow_crime_rates
However indeed there is low crime in Hong Kong, and in Singapore - and Singapore is an interesting case as they are multicultural and diverse. So is Hong Kong to a certain extent.
yes, overall crime in the US is decreasing.
and crime is mostly concentrated in black/latino neighborhoods in larger cities (chicago, memphis, st louis, baltimore, detroit, etc.).

i've been to several cities in china (beijing, shanghai) including macau and hong kong spanning a couple of months.
not once did I feel I was even remotely in danger. I can't say the same when walking in certain areas in nyc.

singapore and hong kong are predominantly chinese, and governed by chinese. chinese are too busy studying and getting good grades or to be committing crime.
how many times have chinese made the news in the US for committing crime? practically none, given their large population in NYC and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 04:19 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The bottom line is, it is usually safe to walk in any Chinese city at midnight alone. You can see women walk around at night.
Minor crimes such as theft and fraud are very common, but violent crimes are truly much less than in the US or most other developing countries.
We walked around a large lake at 11pm in a city in the Yunnan province of China last year and the walking tracks were nearly deserted. We commented that we would not dream of doing that in Sydney, London or New York. We have never felt unsafe in Asia, not in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand nor Indonesia.

We were quite scared last year in San Francisco and uneasy in parts of Vancouver. There are certainly parts of Sydney where I would prefer not to walk at night alone.

If anyone stands up for me on the bus or train in Sydney it will inevitably be an Asian person.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,068 times
a poor neighborhood in china is a place where people are struggling economically, but are working hard to get by.

a poor neighborhood in the US is usually the most dangerous parts of town. able bodied adults are leeching off the govt teat in the form of welfare, housing, food stamps.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:28 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
CCTV reduces crime. Violent crime is low in Thailand, where I live, but there are scammers everywhere, especially in education and government. I have been in my 600 unit condo building for a year in a working class suburb...no crimes that I know of..certainly not the car break-in problems of California, but security guards are pretty cheap. Women seem to have a sense of security. No one would bat an eye at pajamas at 711, as long as they were clean.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
The Asian, especially East Asian crime rate in the United States is very low. The lowest of any ethnic/racial group. It has been that way since Asians first made their way to the U.S. In the 1950s it was noticed that there were only 3 Chinese-Americans incarcerated in the entire California state prison system.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We walked around a large lake at 11pm in a city in the Yunnan province of China last year and the walking tracks were nearly deserted. We commented that we would not dream of doing that in Sydney, London or New York. We have never felt unsafe in Asia, not in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand nor Indonesia.

We were quite scared last year in San Francisco and uneasy in parts of Vancouver. There are certainly parts of Sydney where I would prefer not to walk at night alone.

If anyone stands up for me on the bus or train in Sydney it will inevitably be an Asian person.
Some parts of greater Melbourne have me on edge as well, particularly Frankston.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:05 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Some parts of greater Melbourne have me on edge as well, particularly Frankston.
I don't know Melbourne very well but the trouble here in Sydney is that vast areas of suburbia are quite deserted by about 8pm and even apart from real safety issues, it is easy to trip on the footpaths because of bad lighting. People seem to get up earlier and earlier here and collapse into bed at 9pm. So different to when we were young. My favourite coffee shop opens at 4 30am when it is apparently busy.

What I am saying is that in places where more people are around you generally feel safer.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
if it were buddhism, then india would be the safest country in the world so no, it's not that.
it's confucianism, filial piety, not wanting to bring shame to family, overall respect for others, higher IQ's.
these are all traits shared by the east asians.

homogeneity also plays a major role in why it is more civil when it comes to personal/violent crime.

the same phenomenon also explains the state the US is currently in. multiculturalism and diversity is tearing apart our country from within.
in my 30+ years alive, i have never witnessed such conflict and division as I do now. white vs black, left vs right, Rep vs Dem, muslim vs <insert other religion>...
Multiculturalism doesn't explain why Singapore (which is multiethnic) has a very high level of public safety.

Confucianism also doesn't prevent conflict in homogenous societies like Korea. Remember the Gwangju massacres in 1980?

Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 PM

546 posts, read 569,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Multiculturalism doesn't explain why Singapore (which is multiethnic) has a very high level of public safety.

Confucianism also doesn't prevent conflict in homogenous societies like Korea. Remember the Gwangju massacres in 1980?
I think Australia and America is full of crime because it attracts the most riff raff in the world. Australia was founded by criminals and the United States attracted mostly status seekers, traitors to their homeland, political dissidents, refugees and poor people seeking new life abroad. It doesn't help that America is now rich and prestigious it will attract more and more low life self serving people with no sense of duty or compassion for the poor all the more.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,100 times
The violence committed by non law enforcement civilians in HK increased significantly in the last few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia