Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 01:11 PM

20 posts, read 14,897 times

Advertisements

Greetings.

I have noticed some statistics about crime rates in Asian countries and cities being low. I have also seen statistics about crime in the Americas in general being much higher than in Europe and East Asia, especially Hong Kong. They were quite low.

I know people in neighborhoods in the USA regarded as 'middle class' who nonetheless deal with constant neighborhood crime. Usually it is just petty vandalism or theft, but occasionally robberies and murders do happen, even in these neighborhoods. Most houses have fences and some have surveillance systems. A surprising number of homeowners carry guns, and they occasionally do use them.

My question is, is crime in Asian countries like China, especially Hong Kong, really that low? If so, is the crime rate that low because the criminals are in fear of severe and unreasonable punishments from an overreaching State, like executions or unofficial beatings for minor offenses? Or is the crime that low because the citizens there are just behaving better of their own volition? Does the number of practicing Buddhists play a factor?

Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 01:36 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,472,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaysgo321 View Post
Greetings.

I have noticed some statistics about crime rates in Asian countries and cities being low. I have also seen statistics about crime in the Americas in general being much higher than in Europe and East Asia, especially Hong Kong. They were quite low.

I know people in neighborhoods in the USA regarded as 'middle class' who nonetheless deal with constant neighborhood crime. Usually it is just petty vandalism or theft, but occasionally robberies and murders do happen, even in these neighborhoods. Most houses have fences and some have surveillance systems. A surprising number of homeowners carry guns, and they occasionally do use them.

My question is, is crime in Asian countries like China, especially Hong Kong, really that low? If so, is the crime rate that low because the criminals are in fear of severe and unreasonable punishments from an overreaching State, like executions or unofficial beatings for minor offenses? Or is the crime that low because the citizens there are just behaving better of their own volition? Does the number of practicing Buddhists play a factor?
Seriously? Overreaching state? Death penalty is abolished in Hong Kong and the US on average executes a lot more people than the Asian countries you have in mind (except China where executions are carried out in secret).

And I don't think this is an Asia vs. United States dichotomy. The crime rate in the US, especially homicide rate, is much higher than all other Western countries as well. Canada's crime rate is a fraction of what it is in the US and Australia's is even lower. These two countries easily have the most in common with the US in the world (large area, sparse population, melting pot, suburban lifestyle, car dependency, English-speaking etc.). Amongst developed European countries, even in those with higher crime rates like Belgium, France, and the UK they still have a much better track record in terms of criminality.

It's not exactly other countries being so much safer as much as it is the system in the US being a complete failure in this regard.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,935,215 times
First of all, none of us in the USA in middle class neighborhoods deal with "constant neighborhood crime". That's just nonsense. We have fences mainly for privacy and we own guns because it's our constitution right to for whatever reason we may want to own guns - sports shooting, hunting, collecting, etc.

But this forum isn't about the US, it's about Asia. Specifically China and Hong Kong. I do believe you hit on two important elements:
1.) Underreported crime - Absolutely, and more likely in Mainland China then Hong Kong because of the lack of checks and balances in the government structure for reporting. Basically, any type of facts or figures coming from that government are rubbish. Crime, economy...anything.
2.) Cultural - Is not so much Buddhism as it's not recognized by the government, but the legacy of that religion, the recognition of the homogeneous identity of the Chinese, and the cultural and communism focus on the collective society rather than individualism.

and I introduce a 3rd factor:
3.) Types of crime - Violent crime is low yes. Not so low are other crimes - corruption, human trafficking, domestic violence, drugs and prostitution, organized crime, scams. Those are huge issues in China and, like I said, underreported. Yeah I can walk down a street in a tourist area of Shanghai without getting mugged (usually), but I CANNOT walk down that same street without being propositioned by a prostitute, offers of fake watches, or attempts at scam. And yes, those are all crimes. Human trafficking is a serious issue in China, see below link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_...cking_in_China

Last edited by Dd714; 07-30-2019 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's not exactly other countries being so much safer as much as it is the system in the US being a complete failure in this regard.
These topics always seem to get out of control when a comparison is brought up to the US. Then we spend 5 pages getting into a discussion of US crime and forget that the OP mentioned China crime. Let's keep in mind this is the A-S-I-A forum.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:51 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,224,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
3.) Types of crime - Violent crime is low yes. Not so low are other crimes - corruption, human trafficking, domestic violence, drugs and prostitution, organized crime, scams. Those are huge issues in China and, like I said, underreported. Yeah I can walk down a street in a tourist area of Shanghai without getting mugged (usually), but I CANNOT walk down that same street without being propositioned by a prostitute, offers of fake watches, or attempts at scam. And yes, those are all crimes. Human trafficking is a serious issue in China, see below link

But these are crimes that a law-abiding citizen is unlikely to be victim of, or even observe in hes neighborhood. So have no real relevance, except statistical.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,472,985 times
Quote:
1.) Underreported crime - Absolutely, and more likely in Mainland China then Hong Kong because of the lack of checks and balances in the government structure for reporting. Basically, any type of facts or figures coming from that government are rubbish. Crime, economy...anything.
You can probably make that case for China, but not for Hong Kong. And the reality is - and I normally don't have anything nice to say about China - China is generally regarded as a pretty safe country crime-wise and Hong Kong is widely recognised as one of the safest major cities in the world (at least until recently. This reputation has observed a dent thanks to the ongoing government crackdown).

Quote:
2.) Cultural - Is not so much Buddhism as it's not recognized by the government, but the legacy of that religion, the recognition of the homogeneous identity of the Chinese, and the cultural and communism focus on the collective society rather than individualism.
What you are referring to is Confucianism, not Buddhism.

Quote:
Drugs? The opiod epidemic in the US blows the rest of the world out of water. Let's just establish that first. More than 70k Americans die from drug overdose annually. In comparison, 45 people died from drug overdose in Taiwan in 2018. I think that alone is enough to paint a picture.

The situation of corruption, scams, and human trafficking is definitely really bad in China (and they won't recognise it), but that is not what the OP is referring to at all.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,529,673 times
Quote:
First of all, none of us in the USA in middle class neighborhoods deal with "constant neighborhood crime". That's just nonsense. We have fences mainly for privacy and we own guns because it's our constitution right to for whatever reason we may want to own guns - sports shooting, hunting, collecting, etc.

But this forum isn't about the US, it's about Asia. Specifically China and Hong Kong. I do believe you hit on two important elements:

if it were buddhism, then india would be the safest country in the world so no, it's not that.
it's confucianism, filial piety, not wanting to bring shame to family, overall respect for others, higher IQ's.
these are all traits shared by the east asians.

homogeneity also plays a major role in why it is more civil when it comes to personal/violent crime.

the same phenomenon also explains the state the US is currently in. multiculturalism and diversity is tearing apart our country from within.
in my 30+ years alive, i have never witnessed such conflict and division as I do now. white vs black, left vs right, Rep vs Dem, muslim vs <insert other religion>...

Old 08-02-2019, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 931 times
Default Falling crime rate a Hong Kong success to celebrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaysgo321 View Post
Greetings.

Regards.
This is a city with 2.8 million people fewer than half of Hong Kong's population. In other words, if Hong Kong had Chicago's crime rates, we would have had around 1,200 murders last year. Hong Kong is not totally free of violent crime, it is a remarkably safe place to live in. I have heard is that social pressure plays a role.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
if it were buddhism, then india would be the safest country in the world so no, it's not that.
it's confucianism, filial piety, not wanting to bring shame to family, overall respect for others, higher IQ's.
these are all traits shared by the east asians.

homogeneity also plays a major role in why it is more civil when it comes to personal/violent crime.

the same phenomenon also explains the state the US is currently in. multiculturalism and diversity is tearing apart our country from within.
in my 30+ years alive, i have never witnessed such conflict and division as I do now. white vs black, left vs right, Rep vs Dem, muslim vs <insert other religion>...
India is primarily Hindu, not Buddhist...but I get your point.
Note that I put down 3 causes - one being cultural and included the issues of diversity on a country. Forget the US crime comparison (crime has been steadily decreasing in the US since the 1990s regardless), once again the topic is Asia. Some of you can't help yourself, I know.

Once again I stress the underreported crime in Mainland China.
https://world.wng.org/2018/10/the_pu...ow_crime_rates
However indeed there is low crime in Hong Kong, and in Singapore - and Singapore is an interesting case as they are multicultural and diverse. So is Hong Kong to a certain extent.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,777,268 times
Quote:
India is primarily Hindu, not Buddhist...but I get your point.
Note that I put down 3 causes - one being cultural and included the issues of diversity on a country. Forget the US crime comparison (crime has been steadily decreasing in the US since the 1990s regardless), once again the topic is Asia. Some of you can't help yourself, I know.

Once again I stress the underreported crime in Mainland China.
https://world.wng.org/2018/10/the_pu...ow_crime_rates
However indeed there is low crime in Hong Kong, and in Singapore - and Singapore is an interesting case as they are multicultural and diverse. So is Hong Kong to a certain extent.
The bottom line is, it is usually safe to walk in any Chinese city at midnight alone. You can see women walk around at night.
Minor crimes such as theft and fraud are very common, but violent crimes are truly much less than in the US or most other developing countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia