Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 07:46 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
China doesn't really have a lot of women in power
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...a-41652487.amp

One point that I agree with is that communism created a culture where it is normal for women to work. China does not have the nonsense we see in other Asian countries where women are expected to stop working after getting kids. However, the difference is getting smaller over time as women in Korea and Japan are rejecting that culture.

The chained up woman is more of a accountability problem. Local authorities are more interested in protecting the abuser than the victim, because it will raise questions about why they allowed it in the first place.

No, they don't have a lot of women in high political positions and Madame Mao is kind of a shorthand for dismissing women in politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I never claimed it was related to communism itself. What I mean is communist countries love advertising their gender equality, which couldn't be further from the truth as communist countries (Russia, China, Cuba, Vietnam, North Korea etc.) are all deeply misogynistic cultures. I never claimed these problems did not exist in non-communist countries either, but in more robust democracies there would be a civil society providing a support system for women.

I also don't see how Cultural Revolution has in anyway improved women's status in China. Other Confucian societies, e.g. Taiwan, which were incredibly suffocating for women never needed a Cultural Revolution to improve their situation. Communist countries might have been the more progressive side for gender equality some 70 years ago for about ten seconds, but not anymore.
I don't think there's much relation at all and Russia hasn't been even nominally communist for quite a while. They are deeply misogynistic cultures as have been many, many cultures well before communist parties came into power.

Traditional Chinese society was deeply misogynistic. The CCP takeover and the Cultural Revolution very rapidly and in a heavy-handed fashion changed a substantial amount of that though that didn't necessarily all stick and obviously was not completely pervasive and everywhere in China. I think there's a pretty good argument that CCP China was for the most part less sexist than much of KMT Taiwan. However, as I said earlier, in hindsight that was certainly not the only way to do it and I would say the somewhat gradualist approach rather than sudden top down approach made for what I think has become a more pervasive and fundamental change. I think the backs of that actually has a lot to do with the general rhetoric of equality and representation. Aside from greater labor participation due to economic necessity among women, a lot of that initial push for equality in Taiwan was centered originally around unhappiness among the majority pre-KMT population. These people weren't necessarily all that less misogynistic, but that rhetoric for equality and representation makes it easier to also agitate for equality of many other groups / subgroups which would include women, linguistic minorities, ethnic minorities, and gender/orientation minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 11:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
The Chinese treat their women better than other societies due to Confucius and filial piety,more so than the Indians,and the Muslims in the Middle East and Japanese.
But it all boils down to economy,to take on another mouth to feed,she has to do something besides bearing children,back then material goods are expensive,food,clothes,!
These days women are better educated and they work and earn a salary,sometimes more than their husband and they dont live with their inlaws.
In fact in laws have to behave themselses else they wont be seeing their grandkids/

Old 02-21-2022, 06:55 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Given that Eileen Gu was born and raised in the USA she’s not the real China. She is a person who has chosen to represent China but she had western values intermingled in her. However, the chained mother of eight isn’t the real China either, any more than a mother horrifically abused enough to make the national or world news is the real America or France.

My answer is neither is the real China. The real China is some mom caring for her family while running a food booth or a school teacher or a student studying for exams or a woman caring for her child while they study or some woman working in a rice paddy.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:36 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,460 times
Obviously neither is the real China. If any of that was common, it wouldn't be news worthy, would it? That's just logic.

It's like that story of a Hispanic man who decapitated some guy and then played soccer with the head, kicking it around in the park. Is that the real America?

No. Real life doesn't make the news. Real life is boring.

Btw, there are no Chinese websites (ie websites in China, not western sites in Chinese language) reporting on the chained woman. Is it western media propaganda or could it be Chinese government censorship? You decide. For whatever reason, it would be impossible for this story to dominate Chinese social media, because Chinese netizens aren't seeing it.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:22 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Given that Eileen Gu was born and raised in the USA she’s not the real China. She is a person who has chosen to represent China but she had western values intermingled in her. However, the chained mother of eight isn’t the real China either, any more than a mother horrifically abused enough to make the national or world news is the real America or France.
Eileen Gu is obviously not the real China. She would throw her Chinese passport into a trash bin (if she even has one) in a second if she has to choose between her American citizenship and her Chinese citizenship.

The chained mother of eight however IS the real China. Human trafficking of women is extremely common in rural China thanks to the one-child policy.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:25 PM

671 posts, read 315,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Obviously neither is the real China. If any of that was common, it wouldn't be news worthy, would it? That's just logic.

It's like that story of a Hispanic man who decapitated some guy and then played soccer with the head, kicking it around in the park. Is that the real America?

No. Real life doesn't make the news. Real life is boring.

Btw, there are no Chinese websites (ie websites in China, not western sites in Chinese language) reporting on the chained woman. Is it western media propaganda or could it be Chinese government censorship? You decide. For whatever reason, it would be impossible for this story to dominate Chinese social media, because Chinese netizens aren't seeing it.
lol, if that's the case, no one would know about it. this story dominated social media for almost a week
btw, the chinese don't really use websites anymore, they use news apps to get their news. the most popular one is "headline", it has a ranking system of showing what news are popular among the chinese netizens (which almost all uses smartphone, and not computer browser to visit websites)

btw, this news is currently ranked #7 in that app.

I get it, westerners have no chance to understand china, because they don't read chinese and have no way to access chinese social media/news apps, so they get all their information from western propaganda machines.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:06 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
btw, this news is currently ranked #7 in that app.
You are being dishonest. Recently, they arrested a bunch of local officials, hence it is #7.

The official narrative before that was that Sang from the same village took her to Jiangsu for medical treatment and she just wandered off. A family discovered her, helped her and put her in dog chain because she was mentally ill.

A lot of people doubted this narrative, but until recently their voices was censored.

"Lao Dongyan, a former prosecutor and professor in criminal law with Tsinghua University in Beijing, had her WeChat channel and a newly registered Weibo account suspended after expressing concerns about the incident."

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/poli...-woman-scandal

Last edited by Camlon; 02-23-2022 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-24-2022, 01:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Eileen Gu is a curiosity. She is, or was, an American through and through. Apparently she renounced her US citizenship as China does not allow dual citizenship. I have a tough time figuring out her motive, she described it as wanting to be a role model for Chinese Female skiers, which I don't buy for a second. Apparently there was a huge financial incentive in terms of endorsement deals with Chinese marketers. In the US, she is just another talented skier amongst many, she had plenty of endorsements. But in China, she stands out as a star, and the deals by Bank of China, etc dwarf any made in the US. She was bought and sold. Regardless, she is a hypocrite to think she is the face of female sports athletes in a country with such a dismal record of human rights and mysogynistic behavior. Hey Eileen, have you forgotten Ping Shuai?

She might also find herself in some sort of visa scandal if she is still claiming to be an American citizen, as if keeping this issue silent protects her, particularly in her university application, which I am sure is the reason behind her ambiguity on her citizenship status. Hey even liberal Bill Maher attacked her in his show the other week.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Eileen Gu is a curiosity. She is, or was, an American through and through. Apparently she renounced her US citizenship as China does not allow dual citizenship. I have a tough time figuring out her motive, she described it as wanting to be a role model for Chinese Female skiers, which I don't buy for a second. Apparently there was a huge financial incentive in terms of endorsement deals with Chinese marketers. In the US, she is just another talented skier amongst many, she had plenty of endorsements. But in China, she stands out as a star, and the deals by Bank of China, etc dwarf any made in the US. She was bought and sold. Regardless, she is a hypocrite to think she is the face of female sports athletes in a country with such a dismal record of human rights and mysogynistic behavior. Hey Eileen, have you forgotten Ping Shuai?

She might also find herself in some sort of visa scandal if she is still claiming to be an American citizen, as if keeping this issue silent protects her, particularly in her university application, which I am sure is the reason behind her ambiguity on her citizenship status. Hey even liberal Bill Maher attacked her in his show the other week.
What's to figure out. There was more money and prestige for her on the other side. Happens all the time. If put in the same situation I guarantee 9 out 10 people would do the same.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:23 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Eileen Gu is a curiosity. She is, or was, an American through and through. Apparently she renounced her US citizenship as China does not allow dual citizenship.
China does not recognize dual citizenship, they do allow it if it's from birth.

She also say that she is Chinese in China and American in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia