Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Turkey is a middle Eastern country?
Yes, it's a fully middle Eastern country 26 36.62%
It's a mostly middle Eastern country 34 47.89%
No, Turkey isn't a middle Eastern country 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 11:55 AM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times

Advertisements

Near Eastern, in geographic location and culture. Most of Turkey lies on the continent of Asia, not Europe. I've travelled all over Turkey in the last several decades and would call it a lightly "Westernized" Near Eastern country, especially in the western part of the country. There's nothing wrong with considering Turkey to be a Near Eastern rather than European country; that's why I've gone there, to experience that unique, special flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 02:46 PM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's Near Eastern, not "middle".
There is no "near East" in our days.

If Turkey is not European, South/Central Asian, or North African, it's middle Eastern

The question is mostly about Culture, society and mentality, and to a lesser extend geography (lol I am the Op)

Old 06-22-2022, 04:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
I never understood the confusion on this. Turkey is a middle eastern country full stop. Geographically it is 99 per cent in Asia. Culturally it has more in common with other countries in the Middle East/central Asia, the Turkic languages are all in Asia. It shares the common religion with most of the Middle East (Islam).

Old 06-22-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post

If Turkey is not European, South/Central Asian, or North African, it's middle Eastern

The question is mostly about Culture, society and mentality, and to a lesser extend geography (lol I am the Op)
I've often heard "Near East" in reference to Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel/Palestine, and (sometimes) Egypt.

What does "in our days" mean?

Old 06-22-2022, 06:10 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I never understood the confusion on this. Turkey is a middle eastern country full stop. Geographically it is 99 per cent in Asia. Culturally it has more in common with other countries in the Middle East/central Asia, the Turkic languages are all in Asia. It shares the common religion with most of the Middle East (Islam).
Actually it is 3% but has 15% of Turkey population. Plus Istanbul is Europe biggest city as it is located in Europe. BTW Turkey also uses the Roman alphabet as its official alphabet and the only MIddle Eastern country to do so. BTW the founders of the Ottoman Empire, did control a part of Europe, eventually most of its empire existed in Europe. The capital city of the Ottoman empire was Constantinople, which is now Istanbul. BTW the conqueror of Constantinople: Conqueror Sultan Mehmed (or Mehmed the second) named himself “Kayseri Rum” which means Caesar of Rome after the 1453 Fall of Constantinople.

If you claim that it shares a religion, then how would you explain Albania and Kosovo which a majority of people are Muslim. Is then Albania and Kosovo Middle EAstern countries then?

Last edited by herenow1; 06-22-2022 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Actually it is 3% but has 15% of Turkey population. Plus Istanbul is Europe biggest city as it is located in Europe. BTW Turkey also uses the Roman alphabet as its official alphabet and the only MIddle Eastern country to do so. BTW the founders of the Ottoman Empire, did control a part of Europe, eventually most of its empire existed in Europe. The capital city of the Ottoman empire was Constantinople, which is now Istanbul. BTW the conqueror of Constantinople: Conqueror Sultan Mehmed (or Mehmed the second) named himself “Kayseri Rum” which means Caesar of Rome after the 1453 Fall of Constantinople.

If you claim that it shares a religion, then how would you explain Albania and Kosovo which a majority of people are Muslim. Is then Albania and Kosovo Middle EAstern countries then?
Have you been to Turkey? If so, you know that it's distinctly more Near/Middle Eastern than European. Do you look down on Turkey for being Near/Middle Eastern instead of European? Why? It's a fabulous country.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:14 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Have you been to Turkey? If so, you know that it's distinctly more Near/Middle Eastern than European. Do you look down on Turkey for being Near/Middle Eastern instead of European? Why? It's a fabulous country.
Agreed. I didn't feel like I was in in a European cultural setting at all when I toured Turkey.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:52 PM

3,167 posts, read 1,270,573 times
97 percent of Turkey is in Middle East, therefore Turkey is a Middle East country. It does not change according to person.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:07 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post

Says who? Why is there no "Near East"? Where did it go?

Old 06-23-2022, 03:58 AM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Says who? Why is there no "Near East"? Where did it go?
National Geographic: the terms Near East and Middle East denote the same territories and are "generally accepted as comprising the countries of the Arabian Peninsula

Near East is just a PART of middle east, not something mutually exclusive. All near eastern countries are ALSO middle eastern, though not all middle eastern countries are near eastern as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia