Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Turkey is a middle Eastern country?
Yes, it's a fully middle Eastern country 26 36.62%
It's a mostly middle Eastern country 34 47.89%
No, Turkey isn't a middle Eastern country 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 05:52 PM

842 posts, read 551,351 times

Advertisements

I was in Istanbul a few days ago. It is still very different from any western city I have been to.

The vendors of street shops and restaurants are ALL men, not any woman.
Even staff members of the four-star hotel I stayed in are all men. Only a cleaner was a woman.

Many people wear conservative clothes, although many are dressed the same way as in the west too.

They sell “Chanel” and “LV” products on the streets. Such fake products can be seen everywhere.

In the hotel, I heard loud chanting from a mosque an hour before dawn, every day.

Many people do business with tourists in an “aggressive” way. A lot of bargaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 02:38 PM

85 posts, read 39,276 times
It extends further east than all of Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and a good part of Iraq. So the answer obviously is NO!

Old 12-28-2023, 07:14 PM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let us know your impressions after you get back. These "what is Turkey culturally" threads keep cropping up from time to time.
Oops, I plan to go in 2025, not next year.

It will be my wife's 50th birthday present.

Must have slipped my mind.

Old 01-12-2024, 02:47 PM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
I have turkish friends here, they don't like being called West Asian or Middle Eastern or Asian. they will always assume they are Europeans like Greeks or Italians.
In Indonesia , people who don't know that turkish people definitely say "Bule " because their white skin is different from other arabs or middle eastern people who tend to have dark skin and slightly different looks.
What people assume or like to be called for themselves, is different from what they could be in real life.

And skin color has nothing to do with being middle eastern. Syrian president is more fair than Turkish one

Old 01-12-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Western Turkey definitely has Mediterranean/Eastern Block aspects seeing it literally boarders Greece & Bulgaria.

Like? Some examples, excluding climate of course

Old 01-12-2024, 06:12 PM

69 posts, read 44,377 times
It depends on who you ask, Turkey seems to be a racially diverse country

Old 01-13-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshadow914 View Post
It depends on who you ask, Turkey seems to be a racially diverse country

The question is not in terms of "race", for which nobody cares, nor what Turkish people themselves think (though the second one at least is an interesting issue)

Old 01-14-2024, 01:18 AM

69 posts, read 44,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
The question is not in terms of "race", for which nobody cares, nor what Turkish people themselves think (though the second one at least is an interesting issue)
The point is that Turkey is not middle eastern or european. It's a very mixed country that is geographically located in a global "crossroads" of sorts

Old 01-14-2024, 07:48 AM

365 posts, read 215,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Western Turkey definitely has Mediterranean/Eastern Block aspects seeing it literally boarders Greece & Bulgaria.

Eastern Turkey on the other hand is for sure Middle Eastern but not in the colloquial media sensationalized way.
There hasn't even been an Eastern Block for 34 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia