Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times

Advertisements

If you think "Smith" and "Jones" are common names in the U.S; there's a Korean proverb that goes: "If you cast a stone, it will land on the head of someone named "Kim", "Pak" or "Lee". I truly enjoyed my tours in Korea and have seen major changes from my first to my second tour. Considering that the Koreans sell VERY good automobiles in the U.S. nowadays, I'm sure they've come even farther than I could've ever imagined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
TONS of people are teaching in Korea. I was living there for nearly 8 years myself...

There are so many language schools hiring foreigners from abroad...you can hardly go anywhere in Korea anymore without seeing white english teachers all over the place.

Oddly enough, the mass majority of foreigners you meet there ARE language teachers as well. In my nearly 8 years there, I only met 1 traveler passing through. You do meet a few businessmen here and there, and quite a few American military personnel...but the mass majority of the foreigners are teaching english.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 26,352 times
In Baltic countries is the same situation, summer hot+44C , winter freezing to -28C

Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 AM

122 posts, read 381,759 times
Be sure to eat live octopus.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:32 PM

80 posts, read 437,997 times
I'm considering teaching in Busan.

My reasons are as follows:

1) Busan has slightly warmer weather than Seoul
2) Busan has beaches, Seoul does not.
3) Busan is close to Japan. You can take a quick ferry ride to Fukuoka.
4) In general, Busan seems to have more for the outdoors type of person.

Ideally, I'd like to teach in Japan..but since it's more expensive, I wouldn't be able to save nearly as much money as I would teaching in Korea. Plus, there seems to be more opportunities for teaching jobs in Korea, whereas the market is flooded in Japan right now.

So instead, I'm thinking of teaching in Korea while making a trip to Japan every once in awhile. Also interested in making a trip to Thailand, Indonesia(Bali), and China.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,966 times
Hello Teacher,

Did you make it there, to Korea? How do you like it? I may be relocation to Kunsan from Yosemite Valley, Ca.
Although we did live in the OC for 25 years, so I know a bit about your Hollywood experience. Lets chat.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 PM

14 posts, read 19,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
If this is the first time you will be living in East Asia, I suggest browsing at some Korean dramas (with English subtitles) to acquaint yourself with cultural shock vicariously. The story theme is not exactly 'Little house on the prairie', but usually centers around the family.

url address: mysoju.com/browse/
url address: crunchyroll.com/drama

Many Europeans and European Americans get a culture shock watching Korean drama lol. They are not used to the typical concept of the drama 'a girl marries a rich billionaire and her life is reborn' kinda thing because most American shows like Still Standing, Malcolm in the Middle, 8 Simple Rules, Quintuplets, The King of Queens etc etc feature 'average middle class' families whereas Kdrama mostly features a poor girl marrying a super rich billionaire.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM

750 posts, read 643,652 times
Need more info OP.

You male / female?

You a homebody or like to go out and party / mingle?

Cost of living in going to be the same in pretty much every city.

Expenses are gonna come down to 1) how much you eat out and 2) how much you go out.

Id recommend Daegu. Very central type city. Plenty of things for all types of people. Short bus ride from the beaches of Ulsan and Busan.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:37 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
The OP asked 4 yrs ago. He is long gone. Right now, it is very hard to get a teaching job in S.Korea. They are cutting back(especially EPIK), so you better have stellar credentials along with the competition to even be considered for a teaching position. They are hiring in N. Korea though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-2-LGDUYRk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBlows View Post
I'm considering teaching in Busan.

My reasons are as follows:

1) Busan has slightly warmer weather than Seoul
2) Busan has beaches, Seoul does not.
3) Busan is close to Japan. You can take a quick ferry ride to Fukuoka.
4) In general, Busan seems to have more for the outdoors type of person.

Ideally, I'd like to teach in Japan..but since it's more expensive, I wouldn't be able to save nearly as much money as I would teaching in Korea. Plus, there seems to be more opportunities for teaching jobs in Korea, whereas the market is flooded in Japan right now.

So instead, I'm thinking of teaching in Korea while making a trip to Japan every once in awhile. Also interested in making a trip to Thailand, Indonesia(Bali), and China.
You should try China or Vietnam. Vietnam is a hidden gem for teaching English right now.

---------------------

Or you can volunteer to teach English during the summers in N.Korea according to this former teacher. You need a masters degree to teach there though. If you want to teach other subjects instead of English, you will need to have a PHd.

Last edited by JL; 04-04-2015 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 02:04 AM

750 posts, read 643,652 times
^^ Was still dirt easy to get a job 8 months ago. Any white pulse with the documents ready should be able to secure a job in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia