Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:19 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,701,995 times

Advertisements

Just for the sake of all that is holy, avoid Ayn Rand. *shudder*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:21 PM

651 posts, read 1,418,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You could start with "The Idiot's Guide to Philosophy" or "Philosophy for Dummies".

This isn't meant as any sort of insult. I've read several of these books, and they all give a light, brief summary of the concepts. I've found them to be very well written. It's a good "jumping off" point.
No insult taken. I admit, I've always been a bit put off by the 'dummy' and 'idiot' guides simply because of their titles. I might have to give these a second look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'd begin with a history of philosophy - as opposed to intro to philosophy or going directly to one or two 'big' names. A history of philosophy will give you a basic understanding of various schools of thoughts and 'great' philosophers. It's a good foundation. From there you can branch off and go more in depth if a particular school of thought, philosopher, or topic piques your interest.

So, I'd recommend looking for a couple anthologies - maybe history of western philosophy and history of eastern philosophy, for example. If you Google along the lines of 'history of philosophy syllabus' you'll find recommendations from different reputable sources - like universities. That might be a good place to start - you'll see the books they use and also a course outline so you'll know what philosophers they cover.
Good idea. I checked out amazon and found Bertrand Russell's A History of Western Philosphy; I've ordered it and I think it will keep me occupied for awhile. I haven't found anything that I want to order regarding eastern philsophy but I'll keep searching.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't know if I'll ever get around to reading her books. I've thought about reading Atlas Shrugged as it is highly praised; but, after reading the first few pages on amazon and the description I just don't think it's for me.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,893,086 times
If you are just starting to read philosophy, I would start with either Aristotle, or with any of Plato's Socratic dialogues, each dialog covers a specific subject. Ask your librarian, they will know where they are. Plato is an easier read than Aristotle. No need to make this study more difficult than is already is.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 10-28-2010 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The 100s (under Dewey) is actually Philosophy/Psychology. Although in some libraries Philosophy is put in with Religion.

I consider myself a pretty smart guy, but tackling Philosophy by one's self can be very daunting.

I think those who can understand Kant, or Nietzsche or any philosopher without some context or definitions of concepts are smarter than me or at least more motivated.

The only reason I know about philosophy is because I majored in it. Otherwise I wouldn't have had the wherewithal to study these sorts of dense texts on my own.

It's very much like working out. And like working out, you need spotters; or at least someone to motivate you. Plus its a lot more fun when you work these concepts out with others.

I would definitely take an intro class at your local community college...

And if you can't make it to a class, the next best thing is the syllabus:

Introduction to Philosophy

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~drkelly/K...onFall2009.pdf
------------

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy : Is a great resource.

UC Berkeley Webcasts | Video and Podcasts: Fall 2010 Courses (http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses.php?semesterid=2010-D - broken link) : Has some philosophy course webcasts!

Philosophy for Beginners - Faculty of Philosophy WEBCASTS FOR BEGINNERS!!!

Personally I would start from the beginning, then work my way up. From the pre-Socratics to deconstructionism. But that's going to take some time.

Its amazing how much is out there for philosophy on the internet. 5 years ago there wasn't that much, but now...wow.
I like the idea of a webcast. Daunting is the perfect description for how I feel about taking up this subject. That's why I think that it is important to understand the basics before I tackle the big guys. Trying to avoid textbooks is probably a bad idea on my part. I'm taking toosie's suggestion and starting out with the history of philosophy. In February, I'll have lived in this state for a year and can take a course in it without paying out of state tuition.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,893,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I don't know if I'll ever get around to reading her books. I've thought about reading Atlas Shrugged as it is highly praised; but, after reading the first few pages on amazon and the description I just don't think it's for me.
Well, Rand does tend to carry individualism to an extreme.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, Rand does tend to carry individualism to an extreme.
I can't put my finger on why I was turned off by her writing. At any rate, her subject matter is too specific for what I'm trying to accomplish right now. Once I gain a broader understanding of the subject, I'll put greater emphasis on particular topics of interest to me. Right now, I just don't see the point in tackling material that I don't have the background to fully appreciate.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 PM

18,968 posts, read 11,626,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Good idea. I checked out amazon and found Bertrand Russell's A History of Western Philosphy; I've ordered it and I think it will keep me occupied for awhile. I haven't found anything that I want to order regarding eastern philsophy but I'll keep searching.
Wow you act fast! That should be a good start - he covers the classics. For contemporary western philosophy you might want to check out someone like Habermas. He's a nice counter point to Russell and covers a lot of material from Russell onward.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Wow you act fast! That should be a good start - he covers the classics. For contemporary western philosophy you might want to check out someone like Habermas. He's a nice counter point to Russell and covers a lot of material from Russell onward.
Well, I was already looking at philosophy books on amazon when you posted. You just helped me make the decision. I haven't heard of Habermas but now that I have I'll check it out. My reading list is getting unmanageable! I decided to start reading the classics this year as popular fiction usually leaves me disappointed and I still haven't had a chance to read Hawking's new book. I'm going to have to implement a rotation system so that I can keep up with all my new interests.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM

7,610 posts, read 6,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

Oh, Come on....
Atlas Shrugged is a great book, my favorite (being an artist) is Fountainhead

Ayn Rand has her place within the curce of philosophers.

To start, read Campbell's Power of Myth if you have not already. Of course, you would have to include teachings of Buddha and Confuscious, as they were so reagionally influential. With that, Plato would hold a high influence on future learners, as would Socrates, and my personal favorite, Epicurus......

Outside of taking a class, why don't you take a trip to a college bookstore (or find one online) What you will find is a book, something like the title of "Introduction to World Philosophy" or something similar. You will find the latest edition #23 for $92 (Insert your own title)
BUT if you look closely you will find edition #21 for $4 on the clearance rack, as the current Philosophy 101 class requires the newer, updated book. The professors usually require the latest edition (which they authored) and the older editions, while still useful, can be had very cheaply.
If you were trying to learn medicine, it may be to your advantage to buy only the latest edition, but for a general philosophy book, an older edition is not going to be that much out of date. What Plato wrote in Ancient Greece still looks on paper as it did 100 and 500 years ago.
This would be a great book to start as it would present a broad overview of various philosophical schools.
On a collegiate level, we had a philosophy course for everything pretty much , (except premature ejacualtion, but I heard that is coming quickly) My favorite was Aesthetics, the "philosophy of art" Philosphy books can be very specialized, you need to start broad and work your way to the areas that interest you the most. There is so much written, and so much of it is so good, including the one Mercury Cougar and I disagree about, that to read it all would take a lifetime...
But, appearantly, some people do.....just guess they have more time or focus than I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism