Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,895,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Oh, Come on....
Atlas Shrugged is a great book, my favorite (being an artist) is Fountainhead

Ayn Rand has her place within the curce of philosophers.

To start, read Campbell's Power of Myth if you have not already. Of course, you would have to include teachings of Buddha and Confuscious, as they were so reagionally influential. With that, Plato would hold a high influence on future learners, as would Socrates, and my personal favorite, Epicurus......

Outside of taking a class, why don't you take a trip to a college bookstore (or find one online) What you will find is a book, something like the title of "Introduction to World Philosophy" or something similar. You will find the latest edition #23 for $92 (Insert your own title)
BUT if you look closely you will find edition #21 for $4 on the clearance rack, as the current Philosophy 101 class requires the newer, updated book. The professors usually require the latest edition (which they authored) and the older editions, while still useful, can be had very cheaply.
If you were trying to learn medicine, it may be to your advantage to buy only the latest edition, but for a general philosophy book, an older edition is not going to be that much out of date. What Plato wrote in Ancient Greece still looks on paper as it did 100 and 500 years ago.
This would be a great book to start as it would present a broad overview of various philosophical schools.
On a collegiate level, we had a philosophy course for everything pretty much , (except premature ejacualtion, but I heard that is coming quickly) My favorite was Aesthetics, the "philosophy of art" Philosphy books can be very specialized, you need to start broad and work your way to the areas that interest you the most. There is so much written, and so much of it is so good, including the one Mercury Cougar and I disagree about, that to read it all would take a lifetime...
But, appearantly, some people do.....just guess they have more time or focus than I do

\
Well, Ayn Rand does give credence to the theory that most philosophers are a product of their environments. Certainly also could be said about Plato and his Socratic dialogues too, the world from an Athenian perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Wow you act fast! That should be a good start - he covers the classics. For contemporary western philosophy you might want to check out someone like Habermas. He's a nice counter point to Russell and covers a lot of material from Russell onward.
Russell is a good place to start, he is readable and does not seem to take pride in an ability to lose his reader. Descartes, and his "Discourse on Method and Meditation" is another Philosophy 101 text. Paul Reps also has a great little compilation in his "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones".

Old 10-29-2010, 04:00 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,846,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
\
Well, Ayn Rand does give credence to the theory that most philosophers are a product of their environments. Certainly also could be said about Plato and his Socratic dialogues too, the world from an Athenian perspective.
Anyone can have some interesting comments to make even if only as lines to follow up and find subjective and truncated, not to say wrong. Yes, The 'Idiots' guides' and 'for dummies' are well worth taking as a starting place as we are all dummies when we start a subject. Reading up on the history of philosophy is useful as it does often show that some philosophical concepts were products of their time and frankly we have moved on.

I'd just say that the first things to learn when starting on philosophy is correct logic and the role of semantics. So much wrong - headedness of based on incorrect logic and confusion about meanings.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,987,298 times
Here's an online text from a community college

Introduction To Philosophy Online Text Textbook

Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,037,189 times
Try listening to some of the archives here:

Philosophy Talk

Old 10-30-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Wow you act fast! That should be a good start - he covers the classics. For contemporary western philosophy you might want to check out someone like Habermas. He's a nice counter point to Russell and covers a lot of material from Russell onward.
I started my thing with philosophy at age 15, I read Bertrand Russells, "why I am not a christian", It was wonderful to read someone who put my doubts into better words than I could use. His explanations were better phrased than my questions. It was like he was reading my mind. I did eventually graduate from UNC-Greensboro w/ a degree in Philosophy.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:25 AM

651 posts, read 1,418,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I started my thing with philosophy at age 15, I read Bertrand Russells, "why I am not a christian", It was wonderful to read someone who put my doubts into better words than I could use. His explanations were better phrased than my questions. It was like he was reading my mind. I did eventually graduate from UNC-Greensboro w/ a degree in Philosophy.
I listened to Why I am not a Christian on Itunes a few months ago and enjoyed how eloquently he relayed his ideas. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought a hard copy of the book for my home library. I'm hoping that A History of Western Philosophy will be as accessible for a beginner as the former.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 PM

651 posts, read 1,418,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes, The 'Idiots' guides' and 'for dummies' are well worth taking as a starting place as we are all dummies when we start a subject. Reading up on the history of philosophy is useful as it does often show that some philosophical concepts were products of their time and frankly we have moved on.
I own my ignorance about the subject; I just tend to avoid books that over simplify subjects and/or talk down to the reader. But, I'm willing to give these books a second look as several have mentioned that they are helpful.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,814,675 times
Maia, earlier this year I read Jennifer Michael Hecht's Doubt: A History. It is a wonderful book, highlighting the history of the lack of faith or challenges to faith. She mentions many of the major philosophers and what they thought. I plan to reread the book next year and read some of the writings of the philosophers and doubters she mentions. She writes about the Romans, Greeks, Arabs, and Eastern philosophers. I thought it was just a wonderful book and have recommended it to many of my open-minded friends.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM

I really can't speak for anyone else, but, as a teenager, 15 or so, I was the babysitter for a professor in the Philosophy Department of U. of Delaware. Each night after I put Seth, his son to bed, I would read some small book he had left for me. "Lord of the Flies" was the first one and "Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell, was the second one. We discussed the books upon his return. I had mentioned to Dr. B. on a number of occasions that I was becoming leary of Christian theology. I told him of a few specific doubts. He kept me in reading material. I don't know if I ever thanked him enough for the favor he had done me. It was like waking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism