Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,509 times

Advertisements

I've been an atheist for about two years now. During that time, I've been exploring fundamental questions that many of us ask. My efforts have been focused on scientific explanations; I've gained a better understanding of evolution, abiogenesis, and cosmology. Reading books written by authors such as Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene, and Jared Diamond have really helped in this effort. Although I plan to continue reading about these topics, I've become interested in the study of philosophy. I've cobbled together a rudimentary understanding but have found that the subject is so expansive that I don't know where to begin. Even the language of philosophy is an entry barrier. In a way studying science is easier as there are so many highly publicized books geared toward the lay person. I haven't found that to be the case with philosophy. So, I'm asking for recommendations. Where would you begin with your study of such a broad subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times
Hmmm...how about taking a basic Philosophy course at your local community college?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Hmmm...how about taking a basic Philosophy course at your local community college?
I've thought about it. But, I haven't lived in my current state for a year and don't want to pay out of state tuition. I'm really just looking to self educate on my own time without spending a lot money.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,201,242 times
Get an introductory text on philosophy. You can teach yourself.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Get an introductory text on philosophy. You can teach yourself.
When searching for books on amazon.com I've considered buying a textbook. I dunno, I guess I was hoping that somebody might know of some authors that have popularized the subject of philosophy like Carl Sagan popularized cosmology. If books like that don't exsist, I'll start with a textbook.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Library. The 200's cover religion AND philosophy. You might be particularly interested in Kant (Immanuel) and Locke (John), perhaps also Mill (John Stuart). For myself, I liked Nietzsche. I was also interested in the fiction of Franz Kafka.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
When searching for books on amazon.com I've considered buying a textbook. I dunno, I guess I was hoping that somebody might know of some authors that have popularized the subject of philosophy like Carl Sagan popularized cosmology. If books like that don't exsist, I'll start with a textbook.
You could start with "The Idiot's Guide to Philosophy" or "Philosophy for Dummies".

This isn't meant as any sort of insult. I've read several of these books, and they all give a light, brief summary of the concepts. I've found them to be very well written. It's a good "jumping off" point.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Library. The 200's cover religion AND philosophy. You might be particularly interested in Kant (Immanuel) and Locke (John), perhaps also Mill (John Stuart). For myself, I liked Nietzsche. I was also interested in the fiction of Franz Kafka.
I have The Trial on my reading list; perhaps, I'll move it up. I'll look into the other suggestions you've made.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,603,494 times
I'd begin with a history of philosophy - as opposed to intro to philosophy or going directly to one or two 'big' names. A history of philosophy will give you a basic understanding of various schools of thoughts and 'great' philosophers. It's a good foundation. From there you can branch off and go more in depth if a particular school of thought, philosopher, or topic piques your interest.

So, I'd recommend looking for a couple anthologies - maybe history of western philosophy and history of eastern philosophy, for example. If you Google along the lines of 'history of philosophy syllabus' you'll find recommendations from different reputable sources - like universities. That might be a good place to start - you'll see the books they use and also a course outline so you'll know what philosophers they cover.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,278,962 times
The 100s (under Dewey) is actually Philosophy/Psychology. Although in some libraries Philosophy is put in with Religion.

I consider myself a pretty smart guy, but tackling Philosophy by one's self can be very daunting.

I think those who can understand Kant, or Nietzsche or any philosopher without some context or definitions of concepts are smarter than me or at least more motivated.

The only reason I know about philosophy is because I majored in it. Otherwise I wouldn't have had the wherewithal to study these sorts of dense texts on my own.

It's very much like working out. And like working out, you need spotters; or at least someone to motivate you. Plus its a lot more fun when you work these concepts out with others.

I would definitely take an intro class at your local community college...

And if you can't make it to a class, the next best thing is the syllabus:

Introduction to Philosophy

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~drkelly/K...onFall2009.pdf
------------

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy : Is a great resource.

UC Berkeley Webcasts | Video and Podcasts: Fall 2010 Courses (http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses.php?semesterid=2010-D - broken link) : Has some philosophy course webcasts!

Philosophy for Beginners - Faculty of Philosophy WEBCASTS FOR BEGINNERS!!!

Personally I would start from the beginning, then work my way up. From the pre-Socratics to deconstructionism. But that's going to take some time.

Its amazing how much is out there for philosophy on the internet. 5 years ago there wasn't that much, but now...wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism