Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 01:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Philly,
Evolution cannot be tested either!
Evolution is constantly tested. It also makes many predictions.
Quote:
It has never been reproduced in the lab.
Yes it has.
Quote:
Nor has anyone ever seen life created from non-living materials.
This is abiogenesis, not evolution.
Quote:
Evolution is a theory.
Yes it is, as are the various other scientific theories, including those that describe the phenomenon of gravity. It is also a fact, as is gravity.
Quote:
IMO it should be taught as such.
Which it is, as are other scientific theories.
Quote:
If they want to throw in aliens and leprechans so be it. Intelligent Design is a theory as well.
Intelligent design is a poorly thought out hypothesis. It is not a theory.
Quote:
NO ONE CAN PROVE HOW THE UNIVERSE WAS CREATED. Therefore, I think we should explore ALL options.
Proof is for mathematics and alcohol. Science attempts to gain knowledge by explaining phenomena. Big bang cosmology explains what happened one planck length after expansion began. No one knows what happened before. This does not equate to goddidit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,744 times
This is a very interesting thread for all the former Catholics, of which there are many since the sex scandals.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
GenesisNemesis -

I don't know if you've answered this question already (this forum is amazingly long) - but do you and your fellow athiest believe in the human soul?

Also, is it contradictory to be "spiritual" AND be atheist? Can one be both?

Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
GenesisNemesis -

I don't know if you've answered this question already (this forum is amazingly long) - but do you and your fellow athiest believe in the human soul?
Define soul.

Quote:
Also, is it contradictory to be "spiritual" AND be atheist? Can one be both?
Define spiritual.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
Well, I believe in the Big Bang theory! God said it and BANG it happened!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Well, I believe in the Big Bang theory! God said it and BANG it happened!
Ditto..Amen ,Jazzed

Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 PM

358 posts, read 916,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
This is a very interesting thread for all the former Catholics, of which there are many since the sex scandals.
A bit off topic, but are there any theories on why Catholicism seems to produce so many pedophiles? A pedophile is abhorrent, but one who parades as pious is beyond reproach.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
Default nvxplorer - that was kind of vague...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Define soul.
I guess what I mean by soul is... energy. I've heard somewhere (Einstein maybe), that energy is never destroyed but it only changes form. When we die, it is possible that the energy that makes us alive - and who we are - is converted into something else.

Do you believe it is possible that what makes us all who we are is more than tangible flesh but energy also? No scientist can thoroughly understand all forms of energy being that it's unpredictable, difficult to harness, and in different forms etc. - so we don't know if all energy can be measured. I don't mean the Christian idea of soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Define spiritual.
-

Something that effects you that is intangible that can be parallel to: The religious who pray. The agnostics who seek. Do atheist do anything to satisfy their human spirit?

Is that better?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I guess what I mean by soul is... energy. I've heard somewhere (Einstein maybe), that energy is never destroyed but it only changes form. When we die, it is possible that the energy that makes us alive - and who we are - is converted into something else.

Do you believe it is possible that what makes us all who we are is more than tangible flesh but energy also? No scientist can thoroughly understand all forms of energy being that it's unpredictable, difficult to harness, and in different forms etc. - so we don't know if all energy can be measured. I don't mean the Christian idea of soul.
Thanks for the clarifications.

Bluntly, I don't know.

The closest thing I could compare to a soul would be consciousness. We don't, and may never understand why my and your consciousness - the essence of our being, if you will - eminates from our particular bodies at this particular time. Why is it that I came into being when I did, born into the family that I was, rather than at some other time and place?

This idea itself is only possible because we are capable of thinking in the abstract. We can separate our conscious being from our physical being and image ourselves in another body, time and place. The common cry, "Why wasn't I born rich?" exemplifies this type of thinking.

I have no answer nor belief in this regard, and since consciousness is a product of brain activity, the current state of knowledge suggests that this dies along with our bodies.

-

Quote:
Something that effects you that is intangible that can be parallel to: The religious who pray. The agnostics who seek. Do atheist do anything to satisfy their human spirit?

Is that better?
Yes, I acknowledge human spirit. I feel great awe when in the high Sierra. The love I feel for the woman in my life, and even for my pets, is satisfying and fulfilling. I do not in any way make the leap from these feelings to God.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:21 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,245 times
I have to say, I was disappointed by this thread.

20 pages, and all we got was a few cyclical christian arguments, a few bumper sticker talking points and the typical nonsensical 'logic' that any atheist will face on a weekly basis.

Oh well.

Philly, and others, you did a predictably admirable job of stating what should be painfully obvious. Good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism