Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
p.s. I'd LOVE to read the documentation.
If you are biased by religious beliefs, no amount of evidence will convince you. If you are open to ideas, I suggest starting here: 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: the Scientific Case for Common Descent

You can find anything you want at talkorigins. If you browse a bit, you'll find how evolution is tested, and more importantly, what predictions it has made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
If you are biased by religious beliefs, no amount of evidence will convince you. If you are open to ideas, I suggest starting here: 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: the Scientific Case for Common Descent

You can find anything you want at talkorigins. If you browse a bit, you'll find how evolution is tested, and more importantly, what predictions it has made.
I'm on my way out for the day...but I'll check it out later tonight.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Ok, so if it's not abiogenesis...where did the first life come from?
What difference does it make? The answer to this question is irrelevant to the theory of evolution.

I don't need to know who assembled my car to understand that I should change the oil every 3000 miles, and whether the first lifeforms formed naturally, were created by God, aliens or the IPU is irrelevant to the theory of evolution.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I'm on my way out for the day...but I'll check it out later tonight.
Wow...just clicked over there real fast...ummm...that's a lot of reading! LOL!!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
What difference does it make? The answer to this question is irrelevant to the theory of evolution.

I don't need to know who assembled my car to understand that I should change the oil every 3000 miles, and whether the first lifeforms formed naturally, were created by God, aliens or the IPU is irrelevant to the theory of evolution.
Wait, so you are saying that it's POSSIBLE that God created the first life? Ok, sorry I remember we talked briefly about this.

Ahh...I need to get going but...wondering about this.

(putting on shoes now)

Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Wait, so you are saying that it's POSSIBLE that God created the first life? Ok, sorry I remember we talked briefly about this.
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm telling you that the theory of evolution does not concern itself with abiogenesis. Just as medical science is not concerned with how life began, nor auto mechanics, nor aeronautics, nor botany, nor French cuisine.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm telling you that the theory of evolution does not concern itself with abiogenesis. Just as medical science is not concerned with how life began, nor auto mechanics, nor aeronautics, nor botany, nor French cuisine.
Well, that's news to me. Everywhere "evolutionists" are arguing about the origin if "first life".

So, what do you think personally regarding first life?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,525 times
Quote:
Everywhere "evolutionists" are arguing about the origin if "first life".
Everywhere?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Well, that's news to me. Everywhere "evolutionists" are arguing about the origin if "first life".

So, what do you think personally regarding first life?
I'm not being over dramatic. Every article discussing first life usually involves someone who believes in evolution trying to explain it. I've never heard someone say it doesn't matter where first life came from even *if* it was God it has nothing to do with evolution.

So, where do you think first life came from?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
I'm not being over dramatic. Every article discussing first life usually involves someone who believes in evolution trying to explain it. I've never heard someone say it doesn't matter where first life came from even *if* it was God it has nothing to do with evolution.

So, where do you think first life came from?
Jazzed, I think I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure if I follow you entirely. I think you'll find that most evolutionary scientists will agree that the "first life" occurred probably in the warm waters of the oceans. Now, as far as what it was, I can see why that could be very speculative. I think you have to first determine what "life" is or isn't.

I had an extremely long post on here somewhere before about molecules forming to be DNA strands and, in return, the convergent DNA strands, formed cells and so on and so forth. The point is, when do you consider something living? I think that's what has a lot of people flustered. Really, like I have said before, we are all simply lifeless matter, it's our cells that act in ways that make us "alive". Our cells are merely a makeup of matter and so in that respect I think it's safe to say that the first life would be a single-celled organism. As far as how complicated or advanced it was, I think that's hard to determine because it's not like something of that size leaves very impressionable evidence of it's existence 5 days after it dies, much less 3.5 billion years after it dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism