Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Atheists only please......

Is there anything that could ever change the views you have now? Even the staunch anti-theist Christopher Hitchens admitted on 60 minutes that he wont say nthat there is nothing that could change his mind, but he has yet to see anything that could come close

Moderator cut: Deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 06-23-2011 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,355 times
I'm a Theist, and can answer this from an Atheist/Agnostic point of view. Verifiable, testable proof.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
I'm sure there are things that could change my mind but I don't know what they are.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:36 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
I agree with Hitchens. I can't think of anything that would ever convince me again.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I agree with Hitchens. I can't think of anything that would ever convince me again.
If God picked you up, shook you, and set you back down again, I'm sure you would be convinced. I think there are a lot of people who think that way. I can understand, to a large degree.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,781 times
I am an atheist who acknowledges that since it cannot be proven that no god exists, it must be at least possible for a god(s) to exist. It just really looks to me that the concept of god is a man-made idea that has no real counterpart in existence.

So, you asked if there is anything that could change my mind. That would mean that I would go from thinking that there probably isn't a god in existence to thinking there probably is a god in existence.

Well, first things first, what are we talking about when we say "god"? Before I can tell you what might change my mind, I need to know what it is that I am supposed to be determining whether it is likely to existence or not. Am I looking for a corporal being, a force, an energy, what? I am not asking about the effects of god (the earth, life, a feeling during prayer), I am asking what god is.

If you tell me god is incomprehensible, then I can honestly answer that there is nothing that can change my mind, and it is not due to my stubbornness, it is because you have left me no options. If I can't comprehend god, then I can't comprehend god.

But, if god can be defined, even in part, in sufficient detail so that I know what I am looking for, then I can begin to formulate what it might take to convince me that a god probably does exist. But, until you define god, I can't tell you what it would take because I don't even know what it is I am supposed to be evaluating.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:00 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
If God picked you up, shook you, and set you back down again, I'm sure you would be convinced.
No, I would not be convinced. What you have described is anecdotal evidence and I am very wary of thinking I have learned something about the nature of reality from my own personal experience.

Why? Because all I could know is that I had an experience in which I thought I was picked up, shook, and set down again. It could have been a hallucination for all I know. Even if I was reasonably sure that I really was picked up and shook, that proves nothing about how that happened or who did it. Maybe it was a magic trick, or someone pretended to be god and used a mechanical arm to shake me.

I can't assume that someone who can pick me up and shake me is god. I don't even know what god is. I would be looking for an explanation for my experience. Even if I found out what caused me to be picked up and shaken, and it was god, I wouldn't know it was god because I have no conception of what god is supposed to be. I literally would not know god if I found god because I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for.

PS - Should I call anything that can pick me up and shake me "god"? I guess that means most professional wrestlers, elephants, and gorillas should be called "god".

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 06-18-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
If God picked you up, shook you, and set you back down again, I'm sure you would be convinced. I think there are a lot of people who think that way. I can understand, to a large degree.
I doubt it. People have hallucinations all the time. If the event could not be corroborated, I wouldn't believe it.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
Proof.

Without it I remain an atheist.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Proof.

Without it I remain an atheist.
Yep, it is just that simple.

And since billions and billions of people have been searching for a couple of thousand of years and have come up with absolutely nothing, I don't anticipate any break through's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism