Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,031 times

Advertisements

Being a soul guy, karma, reincarnation, life to make your self perfect until you can enter heaven etc.

I would say there is a form of the devil in all of us, the things we do that harm others and ourselves.

These things affect our souls, shaping us for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,015 times
There must be. Who or what else could have come up with a concept of religion that functions to divide people and provides a great backdrop for all kinds of atrocities?

Last edited by vamos; 06-30-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unbridled selfish responses to our inner drives irrespective of the harm they inflict on others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative; it's just that this sort of language is vague to me and in need of clarification. Are you saying that it's the response that is the devil? It seemed to me that others were saying that it is the emotion itself that is the devil, which I believe is total garbage. I'm not sure I can agree that responses are devils or evil or demonic or wrong or whatever.

Also, does "others" refer strictly to human beings?
Unbridled = completely unrestrained. Selfish= concerned only with self. Responses to our inner drives = actions we take to satisfy our inner drives. Irrespective of the harm they inflict on others = wanting to satisfy the drives without any care or concern for the harm our satisfying those drives does to anyone else. Whenever we do that WE are Satan.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Unbridled = completely unrestrained. Selfish= concerned only with self. Responses to our inner drives = actions we take to satisfy our inner drives. Irrespective of the harm they inflict on others = wanting to satisfy the drives without any care or concern for the harm our satisfying those drives does to anyone else. Whenever we do that WE are Satan.
Thanks. That didn't answer my questions. I suppose you're defining "Satan" as negative behaviors that result from "negative" emotions (i.e. murder, lashing out, abuse)? Is that right?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Thanks. That didn't answer my questions. I suppose you're defining "Satan" as negative behaviors that result from "negative" emotions (i.e. murder, lashing out, abuse)? Is that right?
All our drives are considered good by our body since it is entirely focused on our survival and enjoyment (pleasure/pain) The limbic system (old brain or reptilian brain) does not have any cognitive function or ability to discriminate among the drives it generates in response to external or internal stimuli. That makes it the devil, the Serpent, or Satan because it is totally self-oriented and a source of evil (indiscriminate unrestrained response). We have the ability to discern when our responses to those drives will cause harm to others and to not respond. That is how we apply the concept of Good to our behaviors and thoughts. If you would be more complete in what you are questioning perhaps I could answer you more effectively. I do not read minds . . . my screen name notwithstanding.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
All our drives are considered good by our body since it is entirely focused on our survival and enjoyment (pleasure/pain) The limbic system (old brain or reptilian brain) does not have any cognitive function or ability to discriminate among the drives it generates in response to external or internal stimuli. That makes it the devil, the Serpent, or Satan because it is totally self-oriented and a source of evil (indiscriminate unrestrained response). We have the ability to discern when our responses to those drives will cause harm to others and to not respond. That is how we apply the concept of Good to our behaviors and thoughts. If you would be more complete in what you are questioning perhaps I could answer you more effectively. I do not read minds . . . my screen name notwithstanding.
I asked you questions to the best of my ability. I won't bother in the future.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 4,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impossoblenew View Post
Hello.
Is there any devil ?
Or dark consciousness ?

Yes, I likes jokes too.

But ones in a dark night
at piknick
we saw a ray of light in the sky,
and than
we saw inhuman being
he was like a young fellow.

He started to fight with us.

Two of my friend at the morning was dark and cold
and suddenly went far away without the cause.
they did not tell anything.

Now I don't know what happened to them.

He captured their mind.

What you say ?
It was real.

Then he met with me and tried to capture me.
He said I must give up.
He said his mission is Earth.

I remained alive by miracle.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
^^^^^^^^^^^ sounds like a bad drug trip

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 4,496 times
No, it was real.

Places, Facts all is there.

I like jokes but it is not ones.

What to do now ?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM

110 posts, read 107,495 times
Quote:
So because we're a more highly evolved society, that considers the impact of our actions on others (and, more to the point, considers the blowback on us), this means satan suddenly exists? Whereas before, when we thought as reptiles, Satan didn't exist?

If I'm reading you correctly, then you believe Satan exists entirely in our conscious imagination.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism