Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Abrahamic religion do you like the most overall?
Christianity 16 43.24%
Islam 5 13.51%
Judaism 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times

Advertisements

I'm a great admirer of the Jehovah's Witnesses. They showed incredible courage standing up to the Nazis, in the day. Many died as a result.

They also seem to be the only Christians that have a detailed idea of what "Heaven" is like. All the others focus on the hellfire that awaits the unbeliever.

That's another thing; JW's don't believe in Hell, at all. They think that truly evil people just cease to exist.

Oh, and their "Awake" magazine is not a bad read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Why would you ask Atheists and non believers which religion do you admire?
Its Kinda like asking a blind person whats their favorite color..Dont know,dont care.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I'm a great admirer of the Jehovah's Witnesses. They showed incredible courage standing up to the Nazis, in the day. Many died as a result.

They also seem to be the only Christians that have a detailed idea of what "Heaven" is like. All the others focus on the hellfire that awaits the unbeliever.

That's another thing; JW's don't believe in Hell, at all. They think that truly evil people just cease to exist.

Oh, and their "Awake" magazine is not a bad read.
Are you serious?

I know nothing about JW during WW2. But having a defined idea of heaven makes a religion admirable to you?

Awake, at least the last time I perused it on the subway, was a piece of trash.

What do you have to say about their stance against blood transfusions? Or their proscription of birthdays and other celebrations? What is admirable about these things?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceDad View Post
Please try to still answer the questions/poll.

Just pretend that YOU have to pick one. There should be at least one religion that you *feel* is overall or slightly better than the other.
The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you serious?

I know nothing about JW during WW2. But having a defined idea of heaven makes a religion admirable to you?

Awake, at least the last time I perused it on the subway, was a piece of trash.

What do you have to say about their stance against blood transfusions? Or their proscription of birthdays and other celebrations? What is admirable about these things?
I read about JW's in the Nazi era in a book called "The Wehrmacht." Don't recall the author.

The last time I picked up "Awake", there was a neat article about birds. Another time that I recall, they had a big feature article on diet and cholesterol and why it's good to not eat so much fat. All in language understandable by a 7th grader. Such things have their place.

I don't much celebrate holidays, myself; we are now coming up on the great granddaddy of them all, which a buddy of mine calls The Winter Marketing Festival. Hard to see what all the hullabaloo has to do with Christ.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
You should list one of the pagan religions. I might go for one of those!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You mean one of those where you get to dance naked around the fire in the moonlight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Sounds like a fun time to me. I gotta hit the gym first though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
Ha-ha, I think very few pagans actually do that (at least these days.) Some may, though.
Quote:
Been there. Done that. Know a few people who still do.
Quote:
No. I was married to one. I went to a few holiday celebrations in the same way many people go to church with their parents or spouse on Christmas. However in this case the religious ceremony involved getting naked and jumping over a fire.

I never believed in any of it, and always thought that it was quite silly. But many of the people I knew believed in it with the same devotion of any modern day, bible believing born again christian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think dancing naked around trees then having an orgy might be a fun type of religion. As long as I can drink wine as well
Quote:
Well, it wasn't a bad way to pass the evening. More entertaining that midnight mass for sure.

There was definitely wine. Or beer. Or something. Probably song too, so I guess I did have my wine, women and song.
I see a trend developing here that shows what some of these forum participants consider a REAL religious celebration!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 AM

63 posts, read 53,236 times
Quote:
No. I was married to one. I went to a few holiday celebrations in the same way many people go to church with their parents or spouse on Christmas. However in this case the religious ceremony involved getting naked and jumping over a fire.
Sounds like an interesting way to spend the evening! (Although I would be too shy/embarrassed to take my clothes off, but get me drunk and I'd certainly do a lot of (very bad) dancing. Of course, when I'm drunk, I think my moves are on a par with John Travolta's.)

I would still say this particularly group are not representative of all Wiccans/pagans, there are different kinds everywhere.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
I admire the religion of atheism the most - because they at least search for the truth - and GOD loves a soothsayer. Other than that - I admire - Jesus Christ because he was a brilliant and devine entity...but I have lost respect for Christianity because they are all cowards.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I admire the religion of atheism the most - because they at least search for the truth - and GOD loves a soothsayer. Other than that - I admire - Jesus Christ because he was a brilliant and devine entity...but I have lost respect for Christianity because they are all cowards.
There isn't any such thing, and (by definition) atheists aren't searching for truth.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Certainly atheists are interested in truth- just not in the answers of god beliefs.
If I had to convert at the point of a gun, it wouldn't matter what religion I pretended to be accepting. I wouldn't believe it internally, and I'd sure say anything to avoid getting shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism