Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,877,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's my perception of the situation. We live in a country where evangelist Christian faiths are much more popular than in the EU; this means that we are inundated with evangelism to a degree that is greater in the EU.
While I was in grad school we had a visiting professor (an evolutionary biologist) from the UK who was absolutely appalled at being asked his religious beliefs during lectures. Even though he was from a country with a state religion, he'd never been questioned about it before. We had to tell him that once or twice a year we'd get a student who would take Geology 101 just so he or she could stand up in lecture and try to denounce evolution as a fraud - the department actually had a written policy for dealing with such students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 03:00 PM

18,529 posts, read 9,218,447 times
I wouldn't say we are extremist. We American atheists and agnostics have to deal with religion that is far more powerful and influential than it is in places like Northern and Western Europe.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:31 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,661,595 times
The atheists I know just live life how they want and mind their own business. I really could care less that my money says "In God we Trust" or that the pledge of allegiance references God. Don't care, better stuff to worry about.

Honestly, I roll my eyes when the PC brigade rolls out just as much as a religious person would. Seems like these days, everyone is out to ban something that offends them.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:23 AM

20,168 posts, read 13,604,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The atheists I know just live life how they want and mind their own business. I really could care less that my money says "In God we Trust" or that the pledge of allegiance references God. Don't care, better stuff to worry about.

Honestly, I roll my eyes when the PC brigade rolls out just as much as a religious person would. Seems like these days, everyone is out to ban something that offends them.
I don't know that the OP was concerned specifically about the PC brigade, which is only one way that atheist activism could assert itself. The question was really about why we aren't as seemingly indifferent / patient / quiet as atheists outside of America.

The open question is whether we are more activist because of real pushback against real religious overreach, or whether we are more activist for some other reason, such as that we're just jerks or something.

I think that in Europe for example religion has been on the decline and more loosely held by more people for a long time. In the US we have far more fundamentalists / dominionists who are leaning toward theocratic notions of how our government should be run.

Conversely in many parts of the world such as Asia and the Middle East, they are even less further along, fundamentalist religion is very strong and atheism is closeted.

I think Europe went through its own period of openly and assertively questioning religion during and after the Enlightenment; also one can argue that there just was never that much of a revivalist type of religious ethos to try to reform the Reformation as it were. Luther and Calvin were actually pretty rabid as it was, but the Reformation was quickly gentled and after that Europe and the UK kicked their religious nutcases out and sent them over here to America. Thanks guys.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 AM

18,529 posts, read 9,218,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think Europe went through its own period of openly and assertively questioning religion during and after the Enlightenment; also one can argue that there just was never that much of a revivalist type of religious ethos to try to reform the Reformation as it were. Luther and Calvin were actually pretty rabid as it was, but the Reformation was quickly gentled and after that Europe and the UK kicked their religious nutcases out and sent them over here to America. Thanks guys.
That.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,645,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
While I was in grad school we had a visiting professor (an evolutionary biologist) from the UK who was absolutely appalled at being asked his religious beliefs during lectures. Even though he was from a country with a state religion, he'd never been questioned about it before. We had to tell him that once or twice a year we'd get a student who would take Geology 101 just so he or she could stand up in lecture and try to denounce evolution as a fraud - the department actually had a written policy for dealing with such students.
yup, the main problem is that children/people think they are on equal terms all the time with authority. Its of the more "real boogy men "liberal laws" that cause far more harm to safety then any religion. I see it every day. But since when do facts get in the way of opinions.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,898,619 times
Quote:
You are very welcome old chap. Enjoy them!

Old 01-09-2016, 12:56 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,810,419 times
Quote:
The open question is whether we are more activist because of real pushback against real religious overreach, or whether we are more activist for some other reason, such as that we're just jerks or something.
This. ^^^

I think sometimes we come across as extreme because we have to shout to be heard over the other shouting.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,645,830 times
when ya shout down a clown its looks like two clowns shouting eachother down.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,898,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
when ya shout down a clown its looks like two clowns shouting eachother down.
When ya don't shout down a clown, the clown thinks he's winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism