Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM

924 posts, read 1,645,376 times

Advertisements

I was reading 9/11 stories for whatever reason, I guess cause today is Veteran's Day, and came across a story about a guy who called his father shortly before perishing in one of the towers, and the father was describing how grateful he was that he had that final moment with his son. And it really struck me that that truly was their final moment, there is no after-life where you reunite with your loved ones. That's it, that's the last time he'll ever hear from his son again, and now he only has memories to live by.

It really depressed me thinking about it, and about it happening to me, and I can see how people so easily use religion as a coping mechanism for these types of events, because facing the cold indifference of reality can be tough.

In a lot of ways, being born any other animal than a human is better because you lack even the ability to comprehend and understand your insignificance, and you don't have the ego that tries to tell you otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I was reading 9/11 stories for whatever reason, I guess cause today is Veteran's Day, and came across a story about a guy who called his father shortly before perishing in one of the towers, and the father was describing how grateful he was that he had that final moment with his son. And it really struck me that that truly was their final moment, there is no after-life where you reunite with your loved ones. That's it, that's the last time he'll ever hear from his son again, and now he only has memories to live by.

It really depressed me thinking about it, and about it happening to me, and I can see how people so easily use religion as a coping mechanism for these types of events, because facing the cold indifference of reality can be tough.

In a lot of ways, being born any other animal than a human is better because you lack even the ability to comprehend and understand your insignificance, and you don't have the ego that tries to tell you otherwise.
Although, as an atheist or agnostic, there is always the possibility that you will reunite. Not much of a reason to make it impossible. There is also the non-depressive way of accepting the truth. The glass might be halve empty but that can be appreciated sometimes. People die terribly sometimes, at least its not worse.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:41 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
I understand, Llewelyn, because I've had the same feelings. But then I think of the words of Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Lawrence Krauss, and Neil deGrasse Tyson with respect to our being stardust. As with everything else in the universe, every atom within us comes from exploded stars. We really are part of the universe, and the universe is in us. We're all connected, all one in being.

When a family member passes on, I take comfort in that, and in our DNA. I look at my hands, my skin, my face, and think of how we share some coding and how, because of our common DNA, we are partly the same being in a very real, tangible way. The first time I considered that, it was quite profound, almost overpowering in its simplicity and truth. My loved ones are indeed still alive, as part of me.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 AM

260 posts, read 926,624 times
Why must an afterlife depend on religion, or a God?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
Why must an afterlife depend on religion, or a God?

It doesn't depend on religion or a God, but it does depend on the supernatural because it assumes the existence of a soul or spirit of some sort that is, and remains, its own entity. I can't speak for all atheists, but when I consider how humans came to be and how we are ultimately the sum of our atoms, I cannot find cause to believe in such things.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It doesn't depend on religion or a God, but it does depend on the supernatural because it assumes the existence of a soul or spirit of some sort that is, and remains, its own entity. I can't speak for all atheists, but when I consider how humans came to be and how we are ultimately the sum of our atoms, I cannot find cause to believe in such things.
Yep, this. To say that there's an afterlife period seems to put humans above nature and natural law, and I can't accept this as long as it's pure speculation. Again, I think it's just humans looking out for their own self-interest in thinking we don't rot in the ground when we die, to put it bluntly.

The whole existence and ability to perceive is entirely dependent on the brain, to suggest the soul is some separate entity that is capable of thought on the same level would suggest that you don't need a brain in our current predicament that is life, no?

Thanks for the video Lilac, I do like that perspective quite a bit and it's not one that I had previously considered. I wouldn't say it gives me a complete sense of closure, but then I doubt anything but heaven being a reality would. It helps having the brilliant minds of Carl Sagan, and as a more sarcastic spokesman, George Carlin on our side

Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Just assume you would have gone to hell. Now doesn't the thought of nothingness seem better?

Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just assume you would have gone to hell. Now doesn't the thought of nothingness seem better?

By certain religious logic, I'll be going to hell while Jeffrey Dahmer will be going to heaven

Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Yep, this. To say that there's an afterlife period seems to put humans above nature and natural law, and I can't accept this as long as it's pure speculation. Again, I think it's just humans looking out for their own self-interest in thinking we don't rot in the ground when we die, to put it bluntly.

The whole existence and ability to perceive is entirely dependent on the brain, to suggest the soul is some separate entity that is capable of thought on the same level would suggest that you don't need a brain in our current predicament that is life, no?

Thanks for the video Lilac, I do like that perspective quite a bit and it's not one that I had previously considered. I wouldn't say it gives me a complete sense of closure, but then I doubt anything but heaven being a reality would. It helps having the brilliant minds of Carl Sagan, and as a more sarcastic spokesman, George Carlin on our side
Heh, for those not privy to our DMs, here's the video (words are in the description on YouTube):

Sometimes it actually gets stuck in my head!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,813 times
I've never felt depressed or saddened at the thought of never again seeing loved ones. I don't take any comfort in pretending that we'll have some kind of reunion. When they're gone, I feel a certain amount of sadness at the loss of their companionship, and I cherish the memory of the time we had together. But it's also a reminder of the cycle of nature that encompasses all of us. We're all here for a short time--which is why it's so very important to live in the present; and to show our love to those close to us, and to show our concern and compassion for all of our fellow human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism