Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
When in Rome do as the Romans.
So Christians living in a secular society like the USA should stop going to church. Got it.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Happy holidays.

"Carol Of The Belts" by Here Come The Mummies - YouTube

Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
Found it, problem solved ...

Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If the Jews and Muslims are my friends I will say Merry Xmas and may even invite them to my home for a Xmas Eve party. My Jewish friends have invited me to Bar Mitzvahs and I have a great time. I tend to do whatever they do and may even go to the temple for the ceremony. And when I go to the temple I use the kippah because when I am in Rome I do as the Romans.

As usual your posts are very refreshing and logical.
Do you wish them well on their holidays? Or just yours?

Most Jews I know would say, "Oh, I'm Jewish" in that situation. They'll wish you a Merry Christmas if they know you are Christian, but for you to deliberately wish a Jew or Muslim a Merry Christmas smacks of arrogance.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Personally,
I think this thread is stupid.
Who cares?
I'm an atheist, so I could care less about the religious
significance of what you call Christmas.
Christmas to me is a day of eating, drinking, and family.
Can't forget the gifts! Can't forget spending all that money on
buying my friends and family gifts to celebrate a day of eating
and drinking, and more drinking.
I think personally, my favorite holliday is New Years.
I love New Years. A fresh new start, parades, more food,
fireworks, I LOVE fireworks, yea, my favorite holiday is New Years.
If you are a religious person, let the holiday be whatever YOU MAKE
of it. You make the holiday, it's not to be pushed on others.
I don't care if you say Merry Christmas to me.
I don't care if you don't.
Just have a good time on whatever holiday you want.
I think the whole war on Christmas is stupid. If you truly
are convinced the religion you are is good for you, why would you
consider anyone a threat? WHy would you consider anything a threat?
Religion is a thought. It's yours.
And to all my atheist friends on this board, Have a Great Holiday Season.
Eat, drink, give and receive presents if you want, and enjoy the New Year!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::It is a National Holiday . . . like the 4th of July. Do you not celebrate the 4th of July because some celebrate Cinco de Mayo???
Not the same. First of all, I DO celebrate Christmas, obviously, so your analogy is off-kilter there.

And hell, don't we celebrate Cinco de Mayo, now, too? Though not in the same way as we Americans feel about Independence Day--it's just a newer excuse for a party and a parade!

Just because it's a national holiday, that doesn't give me an excuse to be a jerk and yell Merry Christmas to my Jewish, Muslim, and Hindu coworkers as I'm walking out the door on December 24. Although, having worked with these people for decades I probably could and they would just laugh. And I'll tell them to enjoy their Chinese food and movies, too. I like these people and I have no desire to be obnoxious and jump up and down and say, "Well, it IS a NATIONAL HOLIDAY, people!" Not very Christlike.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Do you wish them well on their holidays? Or just yours?

Most Jews I know would say, "Oh, I'm Jewish" in that situation. They'll wish you a Merry Christmas if they know you are Christian, but for you to deliberately wish a Jew or Muslim a Merry Christmas smacks of arrogance.
Exactly.

And yes, I do wish them well on their holidays.

LOL-ing over the ridiculousness of this thread. This is the Atheist and Agnostic forum. There are the A&A's, sitting outside on the sidewalk cafe minding their own business and the religious nuts spill out the swinging doors of the gin mill fighting with one another.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Personally,
I think this thread is stupid.
Who cares?
Did you even READ what I said? The point is that OTHER people make a stink over it if you say "Happy Holidays." Personally, I think responding to a thread without actually having read the OP stupid, but hey, who's counting?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:43 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
I dont' have time to read the entire thread and the search function doesn't seem to work all the time so maybe the second point has been made, anyway her goes.

Two points that seem to escape those who can't take a traditional greeting in the way it's intended
- a greeting their grandparents and great grandparents and so on would have welcomed btw:

1. Inclusion of the different holidays, Christmas, New Years, 12th Night, etc, and many others already listed

2. Evidently many don't get it that the word "holiday" originally comes from "holy day."

Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
the more I think about it, the only really appropriate Greeting is "Happy Holidays" as that does include all people who celebrate something during the year.

Also makes it easier to pick out greeting cards when you are not certain what somebody is celebrating.

My favorite greeting card:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism