Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,374,438 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody for all the comments. Even if I disagreed with you, none of you were even remotely dumb. It's more of a respectful disagreement. I'm going to be gone for a few days.

Last edited by Clintone; 06-03-2016 at 12:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 05:05 AM

50,139 posts, read 20,908,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Thanks everybody for all the comments. Even if I disagreed with you, none of you were even remotely dumb. It's more of a respectful disagreement. I'm going to be gone for a few days.
Excellent. Have a good time. It's been an interesting and useful thread. Your last posts touch on the idea that the rest of nature works by instinct and does what it needs to do to survive or uses the instinct it did to survive as a member of the cat -pack and a hunter, even if we now provide the food for it.

While a surprising number of pack animals have social instinctive behaviour that strikes us as surprisingly empathic and selfless, only humans seem to have reason and can work it out. Our morality of right and wrong does in a surprising way relate to survival as a species: not being anti -social, not ruining our environment. And evil is perhaps indulging our monkey -mischief instinct. To just suit ourselves and sod everyone else.

That also seems related to bads that until surprisingly recently were seen as the right way to live domestic violence and abuse of various kinds, bullying an intimidation in work, school and the armed forces, and of course dictators, their inner circle off thugs and the use off war.

So,while our reasoning is an amazing and unique ability I wonder whether it is anything other than a product of an evolved mind, full of instincts. Some say it is Something More, and it is perhaps the best argument of the theist, even better than First cause.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,260,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Some of the rules did, the laws (standard patterns) of nature.
Oh? Which of the checkers rules do you reference? Nature's law which holds you can only move one square at a time unless you are jumping another checker?

Old 06-03-2016, 04:19 PM

10,556 posts, read 6,210,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post

Well we do our best.

You're welcome.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So,while our reasoning is an amazing and unique ability I wonder whether it is anything other than a product of an evolved mind, full of instincts. Some say it is Something More, and it is perhaps the best argument of the theist, even better than First cause.
Yes, it might just be the best theist argument. But still another god of gaps argument in my mind.

There does seem to be a correlation between brain size and cognition. Perhaps linked to the amount of synapses one can support, which permit more complex association of thoughts and even more complex feelings, as a byproduct. We may be closer to filling that gap than we might think, so perhaps first cause will regain it's place atop the theist arguments soon enough.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,095,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Oh? Which of the checkers rules do you reference? Nature's law which holds you can only move one square at a time unless you are jumping another checker?
The example in that same post where a checker piece can't just stop following the laws of logic and nature. The facts that it wouldn't really be fun nor a good game without good rules and those who follow them.
"it takes two to decide what's fair" sort of axioms.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,260,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The example in that same post where a checker piece can't just stop following the laws of logic and nature. The facts that it wouldn't really be fun nor a good game without good rules and those who follow them.
"it takes two to decide what's fair" sort of axioms.
I asked you to cite a rule from checkers which supports the idea that such rules pre-existed the game. You have not done so. "it takes two to decide what's fair" isn't a checkers rule, is it?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:03 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,879,671 times
Quote:
I think we have this sorted out by now.

So, on to the next question:

Did the rules of checkers always exist before being discovered by humans?
Excellent question, and highly illuminating of right and wrong.

There are no universal rules of checkers. There are a number of variations on the game, and these variations have changed throughout history. These variations are based on shifting preferences and priorities.

Just like right and wrong.

They only exist as human constructs, and their construction varies depending on individual and group perceptions of utility over geography and time. Some find this dissatisfying, as they ache for right and wrong to be universal and objective. But personal desires have no bearing on reality.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,667,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Yes, it might just be the best theist argument. But still another god of gaps argument in my mind.

There does seem to be a correlation between brain size and cognition. Perhaps linked to the amount of synapses one can support, which permit more complex association of thoughts and even more complex feelings, as a byproduct. We may be closer to filling that gap than we might think, so perhaps first cause will regain it's place atop the theist arguments soon enough.
When we claim "something" it is not based on gaps. It is based only on what we do have. The standard model and PT to be exact. It's ok not to agree, but saying it's based on "gaps" is false.

Sometimes claiming "gaps' is an attempt to diminish "observation" just because. Like looking at a sun set and claiming, "nothing special, just another sun set. In a way, that is correct, but do I enjoy looking at just another object as we spin.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:21 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,095,962 times
Quote:
I asked you to cite a rule from checkers which supports the idea that such rules pre-existed the game. You have not done so. "it takes two to decide what's fair" isn't a checkers rule, is it?
You asked for a complete tangent from what I was talking about, of course most rules for checkers (specifically) are made-up, but they are made up based on a reality and certain set of facts (a game has to be back and forth, a game has to have a way to win, a game must follow laws of nature, a game must be entertaining, etc).

I was talking about "rules" in a wider sense.

A game has to be back and forth isn't a checkers rule, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism