Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have no problem with the idea of "nothing", but nothing can't start something.
Then something created "creator." What created it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The same place eternal matter came from...what do you mean by eternal matter?

I am speaking of any God, any "intelligent designer".

What is "eternal matter"?

I'm not really sure, but earlier someone said perhaps eternal matter sparked the universe. I asked why that eternal matter couldn't be our creator.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Then something created God. What created God?
I don't understand why our creator would need a creator. Are you promoting infinite causation?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure, but earlier someone said perhaps eternal matter sparked the universe. I asked why that eternal matter couldn't be our creator.
And on the other hand, why WOULD it be "our creator"? I'm assuming you are using this "creator" thing to mean something that consciously, knowingly creates. Is that right?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why our creator would need a creator. Are you promoting infinite causation?
I'm not "promoting" anything, LOL.

You don't understand why our creator would need a creator - yet you say we probably have a creator because something can't come from nothing...which is why a creator "makes sense"?

If this creator thing didn't need a conscious creator then why would we, or anything, need a conscious creator?

At least we do agree on one thing. A conscious creator ISN'T needed.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
And on the other hand, why WOULD it be "our creator"? I'm assuming you are using this "creator" thing to mean something that consciously, knowingly creates. Is that right?

Because everything has a source.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 PM

15,073 posts, read 10,101,447 times
circular logic.

As far as I'm concerned, mothers and fathers are creators.... and they have mothers and fathers who created them.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not "promoting" anything, LOL.

You don't understand why our creator would need a creator - yet you say we probably have a creator because something can't come from nothing...which is why a creator "makes sense"?

If this creator thing didn't need a conscious creator then why would we, or anything, need a conscious creator?

At least we do agree on one thing. A conscious creator ISN'T needed.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'll speak for myself.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
I have no problem with the idea of "nothing", but nothing can't start something.
But what I'm saying is that nobody really knows the distinction between "something" and "nothing" in an absolute sense. These are merely relative concepts we make up in our minds.

Someone might ask you, "jimmiej, what are you doing?" You might respond, "Nothing." But actually, you may be sitting, waiting, reflecting, relaxing, etc. So, you're always doing something. That's because there's really no such thing as "nothing."

Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
You're arguing semantics instead of answering the questions put to you.

Quote:
Not sure why you reject the idea of a creator. Did you have a bad experience with religion?
There it is, folks. The real reason jimmiie is here. Aren't you just angry at god, really.

Time to move on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism