Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mormons don't believe in a god, they believe in a race of Aliens.
Aren't you confusing Mormons with Scientologists?

Mormons believe in magic underwear and a future inheritance of your very own planet and a covert history of the US as the home of the lost tribe of Israel in the form of an advanced Native-American civilization and a lot of other interesting things but they definitely believe in the same Abrahamic god as orthodox Christianity (though a somewhat different interpretation thereof).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Aren't you confusing Mormons with Scientologists?

Mormons believe in magic underwear and a future inheritance of your very own planet and a covert history of the US as the home of the lost tribe of Israel in the form of an advanced Native-American civilization and a lot of other interesting things but they definitely believe in the same Abrahamic god as orthodox Christianity (though a somewhat different interpretation thereof).
Nope. The Mormon god appears not to be the cosmic mind that most God - believers have in their heads, but is one of a race of super beings. Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnaa5MQIH94

Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Oh, Mordant, please. You know better than that. And if you don't, you should. I would have expected this kind of nonsense from some people, but not from you. And I certainly didn't think you held me in such poor regard as to actually assume that I, as a Mormon, believe those things.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Nope. The Mormon god appears not to be the cosmic mind that most God - believers have in their heads, but is one of a race of super beings. Aliens.
I had hoped that after nine years on this forum, and over 20,000 posts, I had succeeded in educating people about my religion. Apparently I was wrong, as the myths continue to prevail, and my first-hand, sixty-nine years in the LDS (i.e. Mormon) religion clearly count for nothing among people who would prefer to believe the lies.

Oh, and that YouTube video? Seriously? You gotta love that spooky music, though, and the narration, which sounds like something right out of a monster movie. Too bad it's 90% lies.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Mormons don't believe in a god, they believe in a race of Aliens.
That is absolute nonsense.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:41 AM

Are you sure? Ex mormons have tended to confirm that this is so and it's rather believers who are being fed a covered -up version.

Shouldn't become a 'Mormon' thread, but it might be interesting to find out what the actual claims (whatever is now taught) are. Mordant mentioned Scientology, which is in fact a science -fiction story turned into a cult and then a religion. I gather that convets are not given the facts right away, if ever.

The explanations by ex Mormons (mormons tend to gloss over this stuff and say how much they love Jesus as the savoir) tend to be discursive,

This one dwells on John's gospel a lot but does explain this super -race living on another planet and coming down to take charge of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X59xrCc6mwk

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-26-2018 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 05:22 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh, Mordant, please. You know better than that. And if you don't, you should. I would have expected this kind of nonsense from some people, but not from you. And I certainly didn't think you held me in such poor regard as to actually assume that I, as a Mormon, believe those things.
Don't take it personally. I didn't have you in mind. I would no sooner ascribe these things to you than I would ascribe snake-handling ideology to a liberal Christian. To my mind at least you are what might be described as a "liberal Mormon".

But I didn't make that stuff up either.

For example, the Mormon church finds it necessary to correct the totally understandable impression, based on Mormon scripture, about inheriting planets or going to Kolob when you die.

If this bothers you, I'm sorry, but a lot of things about my former faith used to bother me too. It is what it is.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:38 AM

Of course. We don't want this to be Going after Katz, because we all like her a lot. But this is a discussion -forum, and what is believed and what is not ought to be discussable, hopefully without making it Personal.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Are you sure? Ex mormons have tended to confirm that this is so and it's rather believers who are being fed a covered -up version.

Shouldn't become a 'Mormon' thread, but it might be interesting to find out what the actual claims (whatever is now taught) are. Mordant mentioned Scientology, which is in fact a science -fiction story turned into a cult and then a religion. I gather that convets are not given the facts right away, if ever.

The explanations by ex Mormons (mormons tend to gloss over this stuff and say how much they love Jesus as the savoir) tend to be discursive...

This one dwells on John's gospel a lot but does explain this super -race living on another planet and coming down to take charge of this one.
I am 100% sure, and I would be amenable to discussion at any time -- just not on this particular thread.

Quote:
Don't take it personally. I didn't have you in mind. I would no sooner ascribe these things to you than I would ascribe snake-handling ideology to a liberal Christian. To my mind at least you are what might be described as a "liberal Mormon".

But I didn't make that stuff up either.

For example, the Mormon church finds it necessary to correct the totally understandable impression, based on Mormon scripture, about inheriting planets or going to Kolob when you die.

If this bothers you, I'm sorry, but a lot of things about my former faith used to bother me too. It is what it is.
I am a "liberal Mormon." I own that and I am proud to call myself that. And I know you didn't make that stuff up. Somebody else did, though. Just a quick analogy may shed some light on this "misunderstanding." Catholics teach the doctrine of transubstantiation, which teaches that the bread and wine given at communion actually become the body and bread of Christ. It's something that non-Catholics find pretty strange, but most of us just let it go. An ex-Catholic who left his church with very bitter feelings might tell someone who knows very little about Catholicism, "Catholics are cannibals. Go to a Catholic mass if you want to sit around and chew on Jesus' flesh and drink His blood, because that's what they do." And knowing no better, the recipient of this information would probably believe it.

I'm sure you'll agree that any further comment on my part or attempt to explain the parallels is probably unnecessary.

Quote:
Of course. We don't want this to be Going after Katz, because we all like her a lot. But this is a discussion -forum, and what is believed and what is not ought to be discussable, hopefully without making it Personal.
This is the atheism forum, though, and I'm not sure it's the best place for anybody to use as a soapbox to trash Mormonism. Of course, various beliefs should be fair game for discussion. But caricatures are not the same as actual beliefs, and a half-truth is really just a lie in disguise. There is nothing to be gained by gross exaggerations designed to create a comic or grotesque effect. People who want to get their facts straight understand this.

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-26-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 AM

I take your point that this isn't the right place, and I would much rather revise what I have gathered about Mormon beliefs than just stick with what some video says. maybe some other time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism