Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:24 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times

Advertisements

When I was in my mid '30's I went back to school to get my MA degree. In one of my classes there was an attractive woman who I estimated was probably three or four years younger, certainly at least 30. I wanted to ask her out but figured the best way to start would be with something informal, so I asked her if she would like to have lunch with me on campus the next day. She accepted.

The next day I got there and found her waiting for me at a table accompanied by an older woman. I figured that this was a friend of hers and she would leave when I sat down. Nope. She was my date to be's mother. It was explained to me that they were Jehovah Witnesses and I was going to have to pass some interview with her mother before being allowed even to have lunch with my classmate. This wasn't some teenager in need of protection, she was an adult, so I wound up apologizing and saying that these were not the sort of arrangements with which I was comfortable...thanks and all but....and I was out of there. The Jehovah Witness part would have been sufficient in itself to end matters, but Mama's chaperoning of an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 4,888,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Tell your cousin not to celebrate Christmas because if you change the letters around in Santa, you can spell Satan. Christmas is evil. It might just blow her mind. Fanatics. Yikes.
I love this.....Santa.....Satan!

You have to let people be who they are. It's like hitting your head on a brick wall trying to change a fanatic. We are stuck with family, but we can choose our friends.
Fill your life with like minded friends.

It occurs to me that perhaps she has difficulty dealing with the real world and this is how she compensates. Still nothing you can do about it.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 AM

118 posts, read 66,182 times
I wonder, in the Old testament story of Lot and his daughters, old Lot, the only righteous man in town, offers up his daughters to be gang raped in order to protect men he perceives as angels. Then later, another woman, his wife, was killed by God for disobedience. Then later, Lot says his daughters were at fault for getting him so drunk, that he didn't realize that he was having sex with his daughters.

I wonder, what is there to fall in love with this stories obviously misogynistic writer?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
When I was in my mid '30's I went back to school to get my MA degree. In one of my classes there was an attractive woman who I estimated was probably three or four years younger, certainly at least 30. I wanted to ask her out but figured the best way to start would be with something informal, so I asked her if she would like to have lunch with me on campus the next day. She accepted.

The next day I got there and found her waiting for me at a table accompanied by an older woman. I figured that this was a friend of hers and she would leave when I sat down. Nope. She was my date to be's mother. It was explained to me that they were Jehovah Witnesses and I was going to have to pass some interview with her mother before being allowed even to have lunch with my classmate. This wasn't some teenager in need of protection, she was an adult, so I wound up apologizing and saying that these were not the sort of arrangements with which I was comfortable...thanks and all but....and I was out of there. The Jehovah Witness part would have been sufficient in itself to end matters, but Mama's chaperoning of an adult?
Wow Grandstander, You just didn't see it. A mother and daughter into a threesome and you just walk away .

Last edited by Aeroman; 10-22-2018 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: not going to start posting again, just could'nt help myself. lol. I think in pictures and not words not so much.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Wow Grandstander, You just didn't see it. A mother and daughter into a threesome and you just walk away .
They were Jehovah Witnesses, not Mormons. Besides, even if the JW's were into threesomes, they probably require you to wear a hair shirt and blindfold while doing it.

Which reminds me of a story I read in Michael Caine's autobiography. His first big starring role was in "Zulu" produced, directed and starred in by Stanley Baker. Baker had the whole crew and cast flown to South Africa for the filming. These were the days of apartheid so they were met on the tarmac at the airport by a South African official who had them stand there while he read off the apartheid codes and spelled out the punishments for violation. Among the laws was one prohibiting sex between whites and blacks, the punishment was to be 30 lashes.

Baker interrupted him at that point and asked:
"If I'm caught, may I have the lashes while I'm still doing it?"

Old 10-22-2018, 04:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,385 times
FB, who needs it anyway? Btw, reading this nonsense is just another day at the Christian forum.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
I wonder, in the Old testament story of Lot and his daughters, old Lot, the only righteous man in town, offers up his daughters to be gang raped in order to protect men he perceives as angels. Then later, another woman, his wife, was killed by God for disobedience. Then later, Lot says his daughters were at fault for getting him so drunk, that he didn't realize that he was having sex with his daughters.

I wonder, what is there to fall in love with this stories obviously misogynistic writer?
Well, they were in a misogynistic society, so it probably didn't faze them that it was misogynistic.

What there was to "love" about the story's writer was that he confirmed the entire point that the rest of the tale leads up to: That the main enemies of the Israelites--the Moabites and the Ammonites--were descended from a couple of inbred bastids.

It made waging war against them a bit more justifiable.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:00 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,062,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
Then later, another woman, his wife, was killed by God for disobedience.
Well, technically, she wasn't "killed", she was merely turned into a pillar of salt!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arher10X View Post
Then later, Lot says his daughters were at fault for getting him so drunk
They were drinking Margarita's, so was God's behavior so egregious considering the aforementioned act?...

Back to the topic at hand...

Northsouth, your religious relative is seeking attention in a provocative "Troll" like manner. All these bizarre statements and quotations are Troll bait traps (more like a minefield in this instance) that you will likely spring if you do anything other than completely ignore them. Just quietly step around/ignore them and don't set one off.

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 10-22-2018 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I love this.....Santa.....Satan!

You have to let people be who they are. It's like hitting your head on a brick wall trying to change a fanatic. We are stuck with family, but we can choose our friends.
Fill your life with like minded friends.

It occurs to me that perhaps she has difficulty dealing with the real world and this is how she compensates. Still nothing you can do about it.

Santa...or Satn? That's another fine mess he's gotten us into.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
I was once told by an atheist fanatic ... "that doesn't matter. Just because its more valid doesn't mean we should talk about it. It only helps theists. It will only make it harder for atheism.""

it seems personality traits express beliefs. The sicker the person the sicker the belief expression is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism