Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,277,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I was once told by an atheist fanatic ... "that doesn't matter. Just because its more valid doesn't mean we should talk about it. It only helps theists. It will only make it harder for atheism.""

it seems personality traits express beliefs. The sicker the person the sicker the belief expression is.
What characteristics make an atheist a "fanatic?"

Which poster on these boards has ever written anything like the sample you provide above?

Wouldn't your contributions be more valuable if you argued with things the posters in this forum have written rather than with someone for whom none of us are responsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 10:06 AM

51,440 posts, read 24,801,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Which poster on these boards has ever written anything like the sample you provide above?

Wouldn't your contributions be more valuable if you argued with things the posters in this forum have written rather than with someone for whom none of us are responsible?
I agree.

In fact it was interesting: Yesterday I was out and about, and for the first time in my life I actually heard someone having a conversation about atheism. (And even then, the one person was telling the other person a joke about atheism). And I'm 69.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,935,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree.

In fact it was interesting: Yesterday I was out and about, and for the first time in my life I actually heard someone having a conversation about atheism. (And even then, the one person was telling the other person a joke about atheism). And I'm 69.
Now I won't be able to sleep tonight, wondering what the joke was...

How about this one?

Q: Why did the Atheist cross the road? A: He thought there might be a street on the other side, but he wouldn't believe it until he tested his hypothesis.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/religiousjok...eistjokes.html

Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 AM

5,919 posts, read 3,833,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I love this.....Santa.....Satan!

You have to let people be who they are. It's like hitting your head on a brick wall trying to change a fanatic. We are stuck with family, but we can choose our friends.
Fill your life with like minded friends.

It occurs to me that perhaps she has difficulty dealing with the real world and this is how she compensates. Still nothing you can do about it.
Yes absolutely, I agree with the bolded part for sure. She's always lived in a fantasy world of sorts even when she wasn't such a fanatical christian. She has tremendous trouble managing her life and affairs and has made some HUGE mistakes/decisions. And you're right, not a dang thing I can do about it.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:47 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,935,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Whatever he wants to invent. He is totally disinclined to argue reasonably. Gldnrule is the soul of rationality by comparison.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:24 PM

5,919 posts, read 3,833,801 times
Oh crap it's happening again! I went on FB and what did I see? Another post to irritate me! It is one of the exact same posts (or similar) to one of the ones in the OP.

I unfollowed my cousin, but still friends with a lot of other really religious people as I stated before. Don't want to unfriend or unfollow all of them but every once in a while this kinda stuff pops up:

"Heaven has a wall, a gate and a strict immigration policy. Hell has open borders. Let that sink in."

It seems I'll never fully be free from these chains unless I move. *sigh*

Old 10-28-2018, 05:41 AM

16,770 posts, read 15,843,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Oh crap it's happening again! I went on FB and what did I see? Another post to irritate me! It is one of the exact same posts (or similar) to one of the ones in the OP.

I unfollowed my cousin, but still friends with a lot of other really religious people as I stated before. Don't want to unfriend or unfollow all of them but every once in a while this kinda stuff pops up:

"Heaven has a wall, a gate and a strict immigration policy. Hell has open borders. Let that sink in."

It seems I'll never fully be free from these chains unless I move. *sigh*
Moving won't help. They will still be your relatives.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 AM

7,244 posts, read 9,435,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Maybe if you consider it a form of mental illness, it would slide over your psyche a little more easily. When/if one of my FB friends makes a post to which I cannot relate, I simply don't respond to it.
^^^This

Lots of people get addicted to religion. I have a sister like that. I just don't respond to that stuff. If she wants to believe in it and obsess over it I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism