Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 03:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,088,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It's 'tyre' and 'kerb' my dear old thing as Trans will confirm.
Trans also puts his groceries in the boot, and thinks that he doesn’t have a fanny, so I don’t think we can rely upon his judgment for this one.

Although I do agree that Americans don’t use enough “U”s. For myself, I am glad that Technology means that I no longer have to write cheques, and the last letter of the alphabet is correctly pronounced zed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 04:45 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,036,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You are correct. Colour, flavour and neighbour need the U and tire has an I and curb doesn't have either a k or a E.
I improve my English from with the BBC news site and US American sites like this, with some North English dialekt. These differences used to nerve me, now it is sausage to me.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 11-01-2018 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Used a better word.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I improve my English from with the BBC news site and US American sites like this, with some North English dialekt. These differences used to nerve me, now it is sausage to me.
Your English is excellent. It took me quite some time to realize that it isn’t your native language, and that only because you made some sort of reference to it.

Is the phrase “now it is sausage to me” a German idiom? I know what you are saying of course, but it is an unusual construction that I haven’t seen before.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,890,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Trans also puts his groceries in the boot, and thinks that he doesn’t have a fanny, so I don’t think we can rely upon his judgment for this one.

Although I do agree that Americans don’t use enough “U”s. For myself, I am glad that Technology means that I no longer have to write cheques, and the last letter of the alphabet is correctly pronounced zed.

Quote:
You're not going to improve your English by listening to American sites Harry. You'll end up saying... 'He had came', 'she had went' and 'centrifugal' instead of centrifugal

Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:

You're not going to improve your English by listening to American sites Harry. You'll end up saying... 'He had came', 'she had went' and 'centrifugal' instead of centrifugal
Oh the horrors of saying al-oo-minum as opposed to al-oo -min-ium.

Don’t forget the mangled “she could of gone”, or the confusion between tenants and tenets.

Maybe I should have continued my German classes back in university.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:47 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
Quote:
It's 'tyre' and 'kerb' my dear old thing as Trans will confirm.
Indeed, A Tyre (other than a city that was quickly rebuilt, in spite of the prophecy) is something to put on cars to stop them making a horrible clanking noise when they drive past, and it is not to get shagged out. A Kerb is something to have on the edge of a pavement (not a sidewalk, which is what a crab does) so you have something to trip over when you cross a road. It is not effective in curbing for instance a car bouncing up to park on the pavement to ensure that the pedestrian has to step into the road where he is mowed down by two -wheeled terrorists in leather jackets.

Seriously though, all kidding aside, I love American English and enjoy using some of those idioms. I am less likely to say "Have you taken leave of your senses?" than to say "Have you gone smack out of your tiny mind?"

Ah ... the direct no -nonsense American who cuts through the British crap and waffle and says it like it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEeF_SsgLUA

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-01-2018 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 09:00 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,036,013 times
Quote:
Your English is excellent. It took me quite some time to realize that it isn’t your native language, and that only because you made some sort of reference to it.
Thank you. My English half brother came over with many books and DVD's so I have been busy these last months improving my English. But sometimes I have problems trying to say what I mean in English, especially when we are talking about something I do not normally read about. And I still want to put verbs in their correct place, and put capital letters on every noun.

Quote:
Is the phrase “now it is sausage to me” a German idiom? I know what you are saying of course, but it is an unusual construction that I haven’t seen before.
Das ist mir Wurst. (That’s sausage to me). It means I do not care at all. It is ironic when you think how much we Germans like our Sausages.

But back to the subject, if I had no sausages, I may talk to the god of my childhood not because I really believe but because it is something I was taught to do as a child.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:43 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
Quote:
Trans ... thinks that he doesn’t have a fanny, ...
You mean I really do?

"You do if you come to America"

They do this operation at immigration in compliance with feminist social requirements? By God. In the UK they only do chemical castration.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:32 PM

88,794 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
I can teach ya how to tawk like yer from Jersey.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:59 PM

51,063 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can teach ya how to tawk like yer from Jersey.
Isn't it Joisey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism