Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2019, 05:42 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It may have been set in the 23rd Century, but it was made in the sixties and reflected prevailing values. Even when they depicted women in positions of responsibility, they felt obliged to include some "well, afterall she's just a woman" scene. Like the Klingon commander who allowed herself to be seduced by Spock while Kirk stole the cloaking device. The feminist movement first gained traction in the early '70's, after the original series was off the air.
Romulan. I'd always rather liked that Romulans so often had women commanders. I believe I know why but you won't get me saying so. Not if you locked me in a mansion with three beautiful women, I'd never tell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 07:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I still maintain that the "something more" has to do with the galaxies of outer space and, in the opposite direction, atomic and sub-atomic structure. And that all the oddities and unexplained phenomena humans have claimed to glimpse, are reflections of that in some way.

It's an inside/outside problem, a quite ordinary continuum which we have not grasped as yet, mainly because understanding it is not necessary for our survival, and would be too distracting at this stage of our evolution (which has barely begun, despite our self-delusion and arrogance).
thats exactly what I say. I disagree its a continuum that we can't grasp to guide us in these topics. We have enough to say that "something more, not more gods" seems to be more valid than "deny everything to stop religions control" and "my-god-only"

zoom out powers of ten and describe the system. If you zoom to far out we see nothing. maybe until we zoom many powers of ten. 10^100 maybe.

well, I say 10^6 miles is the best we can do for now with any real certainty. Universal is just to big.

we are the exact same field. That means you and me are on the exact same field. now zoom out. the surface of our earth is better described as non-life? errr, nope. is it best described as natural? using the word natural is like asking whats the difference between a car and a plane and the person answering they are both natural.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
Quote:
I still maintain that the "something more" has to do with the galaxies of outer space and, in the opposite direction, atomic and sub-atomic structure. And that all the oddities and unexplained phenomena humans have claimed to glimpse, are reflections of that in some way.

It's an inside/outside problem, a quite ordinary continuum which we have not grasped as yet, mainly because understanding it is not necessary for our survival, and would be too distracting at this stage of our evolution (which has barely begun, despite our self-delusion and arrogance).
I thought this was pretty good. But I'm innocent of physics, despite my extensive collection of Einstein photos of him playing the violin, playing the piano, riding a bicycle at Princeton and at conferences. I don't enjoy reading his prose, either. So I have no idea if there is any sort of similarity between the stars and subatomic particles. Don't suppose there is any cosmological genius who could address the issue?

I didn't think so.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I thought this was pretty good. But I'm innocent of physics, despite my extensive collection of Einstein photos of him playing the violin, playing the piano, riding a bicycle at Princeton and at conferences. I don't enjoy reading his prose, either. So I have no idea if there is any sort of similarity between the stars and subatomic particles. Don't suppose there is any cosmological genius who could address the issue?

I didn't think so.
yeah, kara ... when it doesn't suit your need just ignore it. weather its true or not isn't really a concern to you ... so it seems.

something more, not more gods is clearly the most rational stance. based not only on science but that fact that you have to ignore the science that shows you.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:28 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yesterday I was taking the third class in a series of four about "developing psychic ability". I've found some of the class quite interesting and intriguing...other things not so much.

Yesterday, however, I was interested in part of the discussions which turned to the idea of "psychic cords"...the idea of which is that we connect to people via strings of psychic energy, and that that can be both good and bad, and that sometimes we need to strengthen those cords, and other times we need to brush them away. And it occurred to me that this may be something like how we are or can be connected to people throughout the world.

I couldn't help compare it to a Buddhist ceremony that I have participated in several times, where a literal ball of twine is attached to the wrist of a Buddha statue, and then passed around to connect each and every participant as a way of feeling the connectedness that should exist between people.

Unfortunately, it seems that religions want to feel that connectedness only to people who think like they think.
This was very interesting. In going through the traditional ritual of the Eucharist (Communion) in the Episcopal Church, one of the things that drew me in is the feeling of "one-ness" that sometimes takes over after communion in our little motley group of Sunday show-ups. It doesn't happen every time, and you can't force it, but every so often there is a true sense of literal communion that seems to bind everyone in the room after we all do this weird ritual of going up to get dry circles of bread and take a sip of wine from a chalice.

Probably in earlier times, the same sense came over the community as the woolly mammoth fell to the ground and everyone went up to dip their finger in the blood and draw a line on their face.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:00 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This was very interesting. In going through the traditional ritual of the Eucharist (Communion) in the Episcopal Church, one of the things that drew me in is the feeling of "one-ness" that sometimes takes over after communion in our little motley group of Sunday show-ups. It doesn't happen every time, and you can't force it, but every so often there is a true sense of literal communion that seems to bind everyone in the room after we all do this weird ritual of going up to get dry circles of bread and take a sip of wine from a chalice.

Probably in earlier times, the same sense came over the community as the woolly mammoth fell to the ground and everyone went up to dip their finger in the blood and draw a line on their face.
It can be very good when religion goes beyond ritual to actual community.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:27 AM

Are the "threads there", yes they are, they call it space/time these days. its clearly more valid to start at that statement. Can they influence us? yes, we need to be careful how far we go tho.

it doesn't take Eisenstein to see something more, not more gods is the most rational start to any lines of logic. At this point in time.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:11 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
Quote:

I didn't think so.
I’m not sure what you mean by similarity in this case but we can say with a high degree of certainty that there is a strong relationship between the nature of subatomic particles and the behavior of stars, galaxies and even of the universe itself.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:25 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m not sure what you mean by similarity in this case but we can say with a high degree of certainty that there is a strong relationship between the nature of subatomic particles and the behavior of stars, galaxies and even of the universe itself.
Hello Mr Einstein!

Old 11-30-2019, 08:35 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Hello Mr Einstein!
????

Definitely no Einstein, not even anything remotely resembling a physicist, especially a particle physicist or cosmologist. I’m one of those biologists that Lawrence Krauss keeps poking fun at in his talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism