Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But as Tzaph reiterated, why is it a weakness?
Because claiming “experience” of something that does not exist calls into question your ability and willingness to be consonant with reality and what is real and true. We actually diagnose minds which imagine alternatives to reality. I think the term “weakness” is inexact. It is more of a brain state that one may be too fearful or lazy to correct. Indoctrination is strong here. Including self-indoctrination. Very comforting, very quieting, even if very false.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 11-30-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 03:39 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The problem with this response is that:
(a) the length of time someone does something ("decades") is not convincing with respect to whether something is true or not, and it is a logical fallacy to suggest it is; and
(b) it is obvious that you worship your own intellect and assume the rest of the peons in the forum should recognize this superiority. See:
As to (b), I for one am a little tired of it. Don't hold your breath.
I have no need for affirmation by this forum, Kara. Mensa and the Triple 9 society do that as does my Emeritus Professorship. Your disdain of intellect is no stranger to me. I never suggested any such thing about my decades-long quest. You inferred it. You also infer the "superiority" NOT me. I had nothing to do with the intellectual ability I have only what I have done with it. Why is it, do you think, that you and your cohort in the atheist group rely so much on attacking your intellectual opponents personally rather than on the merits of their views?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I have no need for affirmation by this forum, Kara. Mensa and the Triple 9 society do that as does my Emeritus Professorship. Your disdain of intellect is no stranger to me. I never suggested any such thing about my decades-long quest. You inferred it. You also infer the "superiority" NOT me. I had nothing to do with the intellectual ability I have only what I have done with it. Why is it, do you think, that you and your cohort in the atheist group rely so much on attacking your intellectual opponents personally rather than on the merits of their views?
The views you have asserted, without evidentiary support, are what I have seen being discounted. “Personal experience” as “proof” of theistic claims? Shirley you can’t be serious.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Because claiming “experience” of something that does not exist calls into question your ability and willingness to be consonant with reality and what is real and true. We actually diagnose minds which imagine alternatives to reality. I think the term “weakness” is inexact. It is more of a brain state that one may be too fearful or lazy to correct. Indoctrination is strong here. Including self-indoctrination. Very comforting, very quieting, even if very false.
The "does not exist" is your assumption, NOT mine. What would YOU call an overarching consciousness that includes yours and everything else that exists, but is NOT your consciousness, if not God?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The "does not exist" is your assumption, NOT mine. What would YOU call an overarching consciousness that includes yours and everything else that exists, but is NOT your consciousness, if not God?
The time to assign a word to describe a consciousness that exists independent of individual minds is when we discover it. Not before.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times
Quote:
Wait. I don't have any disdain of intellect. Where did you get such an erroneous and absurd idea.

Furthermore, I don't have any cohorts. Not here, anyway, and only one genuine friend on CD as a whole, after months of daily posting.

Someone is much too enamored with the sound of their own voice.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The views you have asserted, without evidentiary support, are what I have seen being discounted. “Personal experience” as “proof” of theistic claims? Shirley (sic) you can’t be serious.
I am just saddened by the number of people here who have such low regard for their own ability to assess Reality through their DIRECT experiences. It is also puzzling how such a lack of confidence in one's own experiences would develop to such an alarming degree. If you have not at least read my Synthesis, you are ill-equipped to evaluate my views here because the primary emphasis has been on my BELIEFS that resulted from my quest, NOT the underlying science. Regrettably, the underlying science has been banned from discussion in this forum.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
The time to assign a word to describe a consciousness that exists independent of individual minds is when we discover it. Not before.
How do you expect to discover it other than by experience? I HAVE experienced it many times.

Old 11-30-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Wait. I don't have any disdain of intellect. Where did you get such an erroneous and absurd idea.
I must admit I inferred it from this response of yours:

"(b) it is obvious that you worship your own intellect and assume the rest of the peons in the forum should recognize this superiority.

As to (b), I for one am a little tired of it. Don't hold your breath."
Quote:
Furthermore, I don't have any cohorts. Not here, anyway, and only one genuine friend on CD as a whole, after months of daily posting.
Someone is much too enamored with the sound of their own voice.
I am truly saddened by this because I thought we had become friends. My mistake.

Old 11-30-2019, 04:14 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times
Quote:
I must admit I inferred it from this response of yours:

"(b) it is obvious that you worship your own intellect and assume the rest of the peons in the forum should recognize this superiority.

As to (b), I for one am a little tired of it. Don't hold your breath."
I am truly saddened by this because I thought we had become friends. My mistake.
Questioning your intellect means I question intellect in general? You are confused.

Drop mike. I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism