Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2019, 12:24 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is relevant is NOT so much what we know but what we accept as the default. That is a better indicia of our state of mind regarding God and the reason we exist.
The position -- in my viewpoint -- is that we know what many accept as the default, and we see that as a weakness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 01:03 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
What is relevant is NOT so much what we know but what we accept as the default. That is a better indicia of our state of mind regarding God and the reason we exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The position -- in my viewpoint -- is that we know what many accept as the default, and we see that as a weakness.
How is it a weakness to accept the default that we have a reason for our existence?

Old 11-30-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
How is it a weakness to accept the default that we have a reason for our existence?
"a reason"...what does that mean? If I understand how you're using that, then I might be able to answer the question.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:54 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
"a reason"...what does that mean? If I understand how you're using that, then I might be able to answer the question.
human life is not random.
it is by design.
it has purpose.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is by design.
it has purpose.
Undecided.

But that does not mean the life cannot have purpose.

The idea of "having purpose" I think relates strongly to Maslow's hierarchy.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Don't be coy. Since we seem to be the only species we know of that possesses the capability to infer a purpose to our very existence, does that imply an overarching purpose is endemic to our existence. Any source for such a purpose would by definition qualify as our God.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:01 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Undecided.

But that does not mean the life cannon have purpose.

The idea of "having purpose" I think relates strongly to Maslow's hierarchy.
what is it that you are deeming a "weakness"?

Old 11-30-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Don't be coy. Since we seem to be the only species we know of that possesses the capability to infer a purpose to our very existence, does that imply an overarching purpose is endemic to our existence. Any source for such a purpose would by definition qualify as our God.
"our" god?

This is where the weakness comes in that Tzap is asking about.

You assume it is basically the christian god (as denoted by your capitalization of the word).
It could be the Hindu god.
It could be other spirits that are not god.
It could be our own intellect.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is by design.
it has purpose.
Human life is a simple result of natural processes. The term random does not apply. Random implies alternatives. There are none. When natural processes yield life-affirming conditions, abiogenesis will occur and life will result. And it will evolve and change over time. And cease to exist when it dies. It’s not amazing. It’s not wondrous. It’s not miraculous. It’s not a long shot. It’s just existence.

It is not designed. There is no creator. There is no designer. There is no extrinsic purpose. It is incoherent to ascribe purpose to inanimate matter or existence at large. Purpose is a label we put on the direction and activity that we choose for our own lives. There is no purpose to the universe, or the planet, or your life. Except what purpose you decide to create and execute as a living being. Which goes away the moment you are dead and cease to exist as a living being.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
"our" god?

This is where the weakness comes in that Tzap is asking about.

You assume it is basically the christian god (as denoted by your capitalization of the word).
It could be the Hindu god.
It could be other spirits that are not god.
It could be our own intellect.
Pedantry. The basic default has nothing to do with any specifics. It is an either/or issue. Those who infer a purpose to human existence differ from those who do not but it is NOT a weakness. In what way do you see it as a weakness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism