Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

nipped for space ...

There are a few atheists creeds out there, but, they are just mocking religion:
The creed of the atheist
this site really looks like a religion mocking atheist. I mean sure, they are half right. It looks like religion mocking atheism tho

they latched on to the unimportant part. I guess we all do in away. But it is what it is at this point.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:35 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this site really looks like a religion mocking atheist. I mean sure, they are half right. It looks like religion mocking atheism tho

they latched on to the unimportant part. I guess we all do in away. But it is what it is at this point.
I agree! It was a mistake! But, I am astounded by the outrage. Atheists are behaving like the religious.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:06 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times
Quote:
I agree! It was a mistake! But, I am astounded by the outrage. Atheists are behaving like the religious.
I didn't catch the error because I'm leery about following links. But people are much more mean and dismissive in anonymous forums, and it probably is wise to ignore this. Nobody is perfect.

It's like the dismissiveness regarding veganism by a poster who clearly has no disinterested knowledge about the subject whatsoever, but proudly states their anti-vegan position. It's not a trivial matter: the health of the planet and the survival of future generations is at stake. And to boost of that in an atheist forum is outrageous, IMO. Atheists are, generally speaking, rejecting of religion for rational, logical and historically based reasons. That means having the facts, and holding opinions tentatively until more persuasive facts surface. Disinterested knowledge, to me, is the basis of free-thinking.

I applaud young people for dissecting the assumptions of the past.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I didn't catch the error because I'm leery about following links. But people are much more mean and dismissive in anonymous forums, and it probably is wise to ignore this. Nobody is perfect.

It's like the dismissiveness regarding veganism by a poster who clearly has no disinterested knowledge about the subject whatsoever, but proudly states their anti-vegan position. It's not a trivial matter: the health of the planet and the survival of future generations is at stake. And to boost of that in an atheist forum is outrageous, IMO. Atheists are, generally speaking, rejecting of religion for rational, logical and historically based reasons. That means having the facts, and holding opinions tentatively until more persuasive facts surface. Disinterested knowledge, to me, is the basis of free-thinking.

well stated

Old 12-01-2019, 09:19 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:

The bold is a great line. Sadly, many atheists are tribal and they quickly adopt the tribal dogma.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:22 AM

25,459 posts, read 9,825,519 times
Thankfully that is one good thing that has come out of the information age. There is no excuse anymore not to be educated when it comes to religion.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Mea Culpa.

I still cannot understand the outrage. This is a bit like focusing on an spelling error in a post instead of trying to debate the main contents of the post. I posted numerous statements about the source of morality before that line, see post #26. Why is everybody focusing on that last statement?
Two reasons.

First, your willingness to post any random link shows that you are not really engaging in the discussion. Facts don’t really matter to you, the integrity or intentions of link authors doesn’t matter either. A quick sound bite is sufficient. That strongly implies that you do not read and consider the postings of others on this forum. In short, you expose yourself as a shallow thinker.

Secondly, your determination to double down and refuse to admit your mistakes. You tried to retcon your post and imply that the inclusion of the word “mockery” meant the exact opposite of what you originally intended. This implies that you are not at all trustworthy and willing to lie at any given time.

So, you exhibit the behaviors of a shallow thinker and a liar. Why should we continue to engage?

Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:

Please stop trying to derail the thread in the direction of virtual signaling veganism. There are other forums for that.

Gen Z is not only more atheist, but more willing to admit it:
https://www.barna.com/research/athei...-generation-z/

We not only need a society that is more atheistic internally. We need more people who are proud to be atheists and display a superior form of dealing with the world: Reason.

We often criticize millennials and Gen Z for perceived faults. Which I think tends to get over blown. In this department, they are getting it far more correct than the dopey baby boomers. Not only are they more atheistic, they are more data centric and less willing to fall victim to dogma.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Please stop trying to derail the thread in the direction of virtual signaling veganism. There are other forums for that.

Gen Z is not only more atheist, but more willing to admit it:
https://www.barna.com/research/athei...-generation-z/

We not only need a society that is more atheistic internally. We need more people who are proud to be atheists and display a superior form of dealing with the world: Reason.

We often criticize millennials and Gen Z for perceived faults. Which I think tends to get over blown. In this department, they are getting it far more correct than the dopey baby boomers. Not only are they more atheistic, they are more data centric and less willing to fall victim to dogma.
we also need to address the militant atheist that is preaching to children and young people that "deny any and all gods" and "keep science out of spirituality".

that teaching makes us proud atheist look religious.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM

to the militant atheist and fundy theist ...

why should we engage you?
because you won't go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.