Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 12:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree with your post. However, you misunderstood my point. Kids often do as parents do. Leaving no children behind means one less person to propagate a good idea. This is how is done Fish. An exchange of ideas is best.
As a boomer, I can tell you for a fact that kids often DON'T do as their parents do. And it's been shown often enough that for most kids, their peers are more important than their parents, and that this effect becomes more pronounced as they get older.

If that weren't true the whole premise of this thread would be rendered invalid!

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-01-2019 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I asked you 'what is this something

The trans thing...he obviously said something to you at one time that you've never let go of.
You want to tell us what that conversation was?
I did answer you this morning old cold. I will again. please, give some credit for answering like 50 times in the last month.

The something more is the notion that we are an integral part of a system that is better described as life over non life. QED points to the notion that we are just a sub set of the interactions, not separated from them. Much like there is not one atom or molecule in you that we classify as alive. But you are alive.

I was reported for giving a detailed explanation of it. none of it was advanced science, its all in high schools and colleges.

I said that like 50 times already old.

but lets address the other things in detail.

are you are ok with, or even strongly agree, that evidence found in textbooks, in high school, shouldn't be used in spirituality claims? Is hear say more rational? or is evidence more rational?

Are you ok with a person reporting me when I gave a detailed list of the evidence for that claim?

yes, I am stuck on what he said, and if you are aware, I point out what he did every time.

lucky generation Z, like all those before it, will not be deny everything out of fear of religion.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree with your post. However, you misunderstood my point. Kids often do as parents do. Leaving no children behind means one less person to propagate a good idea. This is how is done Fish. An exchange of ideas is best.
Your point, if that was your original point and not another attempt at retconning your posts, was poorly written. You said that memes were passed AS genes, in a post about biological reproduction.

In any case, you still misunderstand the concept of memes. A meme is an idea that passes from person to person via communication. There is no requirement for a familial relationship. A strong idea, such as atheism, will flourish in the right environment, such as a civilization that values truth and logic while eschewing harsh punishment for divergent ideas.

That is why atheism flourishes in the west, relatively less so in the USA, and is having a more difficult time in harsh religious climates like Saudi Arabia, India and Egypt.

I still find your linking of “great ideas” to a specific biological group troubling.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I'm a millennial. I was raised Catholic, and I became an atheist in 2004 at the age of 14. Lies on the internet played a role in that. However, the Lord found me now in my late 20s and I'm a Christian (not Catholic).
Lies on the internet?

Are these same lies as published in books something you dispute?

On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt by Richard Carrier
Christianity: The Origins of a Pagan Religion by Phillippe Walter
Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices by Frank Viola and George Barna

Many of the things Christians belief today do stem from ancient cultures.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:45 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
^ Yes, I already made a post about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Interesting that you phrase it that way. You were “found”. Meaning you considered yourself lost. It’s funny how the stress of life and not having a purpose or direction causes some people to lapse from reality in this way. I guess the pain was pretty bad. That does seem to be a common denominator with so-called “saved” people. Usually a tremendous pain from loss, abuse, etc. Then a magic moment of capitulation to take away the pain. It’s sad that people fall this way.
I only see my former lostness now. I wasn't looking for God when He found me. I wasn't looking to become a Christian. I wasn't particularly dissatisfied with life. Actually, life was somewhat better for me at that time (end of 2018) than in years past.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:01 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
^ Yes, I already made a post about that.

I only see my former lostness now. I wasn't looking for God when He found me. I wasn't looking to become a Christian. I wasn't particularly dissatisfied with life. Actually, life was somewhat better for me at that time (end of 2018) than in years past.
Yeah, I kind of doubt that. Like completely. I have met and interviewed countless so-called “saved” people. There is always a backstory of loneliness, isolation, despair, trauma, abuse, substance issues, etc. It’s palpable, and the capitulation relieves the pain. I know you won’t see it or admit to it, or maybe even recognize it, but it was there. And unfortunately with the solution you have succumbed to, it still is. The condition is not necessarily permanent however. I hope you find the strength to reclaim your life, as you only get 1 chance at this, and while in a “saved” mental state, you are wasting it. Good luck, and better premises!

Old 12-01-2019, 01:18 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I did answer you this morning old cold. I will again. please, give some credit for answering like 50 times in the last month.

The something more is the notion that we are an integral part of a system that is better described as life over non life. QED points to the notion that we are just a sub set of the interactions, not separated from them. Much like there is not one atom or molecule in you that we classify as alive. But you are alive.

I was reported for giving a detailed explanation of it. none of it was advanced science, its all in high schools and colleges.

I said that like 50 times already old.

thing out of fear of religion
Are you ok with a person reporting me when I gave a detailed list of the evidence for that claim?

yes, I am stuck on what he said, and if you are aware, I point out what he did every time.
I'll just have admit to not comprehending what you keep going on about a system that is better described as life over non life. "
Maybe others do so I' ll leave it up to them.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'll just have admit to not comprehending what you keep going on about a system that is better described as life over non life. "
Maybe others do so I' ll leave it up to them.
ok, that's that. I am even ok with it. You do not understand what the something more is. I mean you have to admit that an important part of this ,tho right?

and you didn't answer my question.

Are you ok with a person reporting me when I gave a detailed list of the evidence for that claim? or is hear say the most rational way to evaluate claims?

Old 12-01-2019, 01:34 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
ok, that's that. I am even ok with it. You do not understand what the something more is. I mean you have to admit that an important part of this ,tho right?

Are you ok with a person reporting me when I gave a detailed list of the evidence for that claim? or is hear say the most rational way to evaluate claims?
If whatever your detailed list was given as supposed evidence, if it violated CD rules,(discussing science) then I can understand it.
However, you can send them to anyone on this forum via PM. I'm sure most of us would be glad to entertain them.
(especially from a supposed atheist}

Old 12-01-2019, 01:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:

There is no “something more”. That is woo word salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.