Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:45 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,081,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
we also need to address the militant atheist that is preaching to children and young people that "deny any and all gods" and "keep science out of spirituality".

that teaching makes us proud atheist look religious.
Actually, schools should not teach children anything about a nonexistent entity. Since there is no evidence of any God and there’s never been evidence of any God, and school is a place of evidence and teaching, there should be no mention of God in school other than courses like comparative religion where we examine the folly of various dogmas.

Therefore, insanity such as creationism should be kept far away from schools.

I do think we are affectively doing this, since the data shows that Gen Z is much more atheistic. Public schools get a lot of things wrong, but in this department they’re getting it right.

This bodes well for the future, where the world will be run by people more in tune with reality and reason, and less beset by mystical dogma.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 AM

16,744 posts, read 15,772,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The bold is a great line. Sadly, many atheists are tribal and they quickly adopt the tribal dogma.
No, the point is you posted a link that was simply ridiculous. You went searching for something that was already known to be worthless. You've already been shown that so few atheists go to any meetings or join any organizations that anything you found would only possibly apply to less than 1% of the atheists.

They also don't join tribes or create any tribal dogma.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,081,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
to the militant atheist and fundy theist ...

why should we engage you?
because you won't go away.
Equating these is fallacious. One should be “militantly” locked in to reality and reason. You seem to be afraid of certainty. Appearing to be moderate is not necessarily a virtue. “Suffering no fools” is also sometimes a virtue.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:51 AM

16,833 posts, read 5,043,698 times
Quote:
I agree! It was a mistake! But, I am astounded by the outrage. Atheists are behaving like the religious.
You are making a straw man of amusement as outrage and indignation. Your constant need to use fallacies to attack people is also amusing.

As for atheists writing about morality, you need to look at the history of Hinduism.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:53 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,376,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Two reasons.

First, your willingness to post any random link shows that you are not really engaging in the discussion. Facts don’t really matter to you, the integrity or intentions of link authors doesn’t matter either. A quick sound bite is sufficient. That strongly implies that you do not read and consider the postings of others on this forum. In short, you expose yourself as a shallow thinker.

Secondly, your determination to double down and refuse to admit your mistakes. You tried to retcon your post and imply that the inclusion of the word “mockery” meant the exact opposite of what you originally intended. This implies that you are not at all trustworthy and willing to lie at any given time.

So, you exhibit the behaviors of a shallow thinker and a liar. Why should we continue to engage?
Fishbrain I am disappointed. You resort to ad hominem instead of trying to engage in a discussion. You are still focused on a few verses making fun of atheists. As usual I will not reply insulting remarks with insulting remarks.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:56 AM

16,833 posts, read 5,043,698 times
Quote:
Fishbrain I am disappointed. You resort to ad hominem instead of trying to engage in a discussion.
Irony.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:57 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,095,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Equating these is fallacious. One should be “militantly” locked in to reality and reason. You seem to be afraid of certainty. Appearing to be moderate is not necessarily a virtue. “Suffering no fools” is also sometimes a virtue.
Several people on this forum like to apply the adjective “militant” to atheists. It is intended to stigmatize, and seems to be directed at atheists who favor equality under the law and demand some sort of rational justification for beliefs.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,095,588 times
Quote:
Fishbrain I am disappointed. You resort to ad hominem instead of trying to engage in a discussion. You are still focused on a few verses making fun of atheists. As usual I will not reply insulting remarks with insulting remarks.
More shallow thinking on your part. At no point did I attack your character in lieu of addressing your words. So not only am I not guilty of ad hominem, I actually gave two reasons why your earlier posts were absurd and problematic. Pretty much the opposite of what you are trying to imply.

Are you able to address posts in a cogent manner, or do you simply prefer to reply with attempted distractions? So far all I see is improperly used Latin phrases which you obviously do not understand in a juvenile attempt at misdirection.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,925,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Please stop trying to derail the thread in the direction of virtual signaling veganism. There are other forums for that.
No, there aren't, at least not on CD. And I'm not trying to derail the thread.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,376,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
More shallow thinking on your part. At no point did I attack your character in lieu of addressing your words. So not only am I not guilty of ad hominem, I actually gave two reasons why your earlier posts were absurd and problematic. Pretty much the opposite of what you are trying to imply.

Are you able to address posts in a cogent manner, or do you simply prefer to reply with attempted distractions? So far all I see is improperly used Latin phrases which you obviously do not understand in a juvenile attempt at misdirection.
Says the poster that does not use ad Hominem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism