Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 05:58 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If , going by the thumbs up icon, you were actually saying I did well rather than I was out of my depth, thank you, but no credit to me. One doesn't need a masters' degree to see Faith -appeals, and Arach's ranting as being off the topic.
For the love of God--it was a simple stinger.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nobody really knows what Jefferson's religious views were. Sometimes he appeared to be a deist. From the construction of the "Jefferson Bible," it is a fairly good guess that he would not be welcomed into membership in any mainstream Christian church today.
I assumed he was a Christian Atheist. It sounds like a contradiction, but there is such a thing.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Don’t deflect. State what you mean by “something more”. State what it is. Where we find it. How we observe it. And of what use it is to us. And also what it is more than. More implies a relationship with something else and an enhanced quantity or quality than that other thing. So, what is the thing, what is the other thing, and what about the other thing is “more than” the thing?
I didn't deflect. You said it was woo. you would actually have to defend "woo" first. I mean what about the something more is woo?

I am, just playing with ya marc, you know you are coming straight at me.

My something more, not more gods, has a few levels of evidence.

1) QED:
2) Hierarchy prof structure from qed to cosmic web.
3) we are part of a larger system (I stay on the surface of earth so you, marc, can point to it)
4) there is not one atom or molecule in you that is classified as alive. But you are.
5) the most basic traits of life listed in most biology books.

all that points to the the biosphere being better described as alive over not alive. That's my something more. It offers an explanation, mechanism, predictions, and is repeatable.

the biosphere is more than you, although I would kinda of disagree that it is more than me.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What would be the difference between an undetectable, incorporeal, unknown, not understood "something else" and nothing at all?
that would depend on the person.

But claiming its "nothing at all" is the least valid claim we have.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
For the love of God--it was a simple stinger.
Like 'thank you for the condescending generous'. You are smarter than that and so am I. A simple stinger - has stings. you seem to have a habit of trying various ploys and gimmicks to see whether you can get away with them. 'Stingers' with hidden barbs seem to be your latest, and when the sharp edge in the cuddly toy is revealed you can protest injured innocence.

I like to expose gamesmanship like this as crafty play in lieu of a proper case only helps the other side, when exposed.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:37 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What would be the difference between an undetectable, incorporeal, unknown, not understood "something else" and nothing at all?
Why would you expect to use our ignorance about it to demand that the default must be "No God" is responsible for us and everything that exists? Just calling it Nature or whatever is just arrogant ignorance given its Godlike power and control over our entire Reality.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Like 'thank you for the condescending generous'. You are smarter than that and so am I. A simple stinger - has stings. you seem to have a habit of trying various ploys and gimmicks to see whether you can get away with them. 'Stingers' with hidden barbs seem to be your latest, and when the sharp edge in the cuddly toy is revealed you can protest injured innocence.

I like to expose gamesmanship like this as crafty play in lieu of a proper case only helps the other side, when exposed.
That was the longest stinger in world history.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:45 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
For the Fishbrain who is concerned about racism:

OK, go back and read why the statement came about:

The discussion started because it has been said Gen Z do not have a lot of sex. They also prefer being single (I am sure there are exceptions). So they are not likely not to have large families. Then the discussion moved to the concept of memes which are ideas that are passed to others. If atheists don't make babies then there are fewer people in the world to spread the idea. The great superior idea was atheism .

Fishbrain: I hope you learned something!
Do you want to attribute your excuse to sloppy writing or sloppy logic?

Gen Z started in 1996 to 1997. The oldest members are 22 or 23. Marriage age has been getting older for decades now. Do you really expect them to be interested in marriage or long term commitment yet? The oldest of the cohort are barely adults.

The concept of Gen Z doesn’t apply globally. I don’t know anything about demographic trends in China, India, South America or Africa, but I suspect very strongly that the attributes of Gen Z do not generally apply.

So now we are left with assuming you are talking about the developed western world, which while it is diversifying, is still predominantly white. Since you brought up birth rates, it is a commonly acknowledged fact that non-White ethic groups in the western world tend to have larger families.

Remember, your original statement was that memes were passed on like DNA, ie biologically.

Although you referenced “great ideas” in earlier posts, implying a multiplicity of memes, it really doesn’t matter whether you intended to refer to a singular idea such as atheism, or a number of disparate ideas. Linking an idea, any idea, to a racial group and discussing the necessity of reproducing that group as a requirement to spread that idea is racist.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:46 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why would you expect to use our ignorance about it to demand that the default must be "No God" is responsible for us and everything that exists? Just calling it Nature or whatever is just arrogant ignorance given its Godlike power and control over our entire Reality.
I have not demanded a thing, have I? Please re visit my post and quote whichever portions led you to conclude that I was demanding that the default must be no god. In that my post consisted entirely of one question, how could you read it and conclude that there was an affirmative statement being made about anything?

I asked what the difference was and you decided to write the above rather than explain that difference.

The question stands. What is the difference?

Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
I assumed he was a Christian Atheist. It sounds like a contradiction, but there is such a thing.
No, that's an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism