Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 12:13 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
every time something is brought up its denied by some people. at some point when it is denied all the time we can safely say "its deny everything.

I was also told by trans that we shouldn't talk about any science that theist can use that makes atheism harder to sell.

in fact, I was reported when somebody ask me for proof of my claim "that the biosphere is better describe as life over non life".

at some point its deny everything.
I asked you 'what is this something

The trans thing...he obviously said something to you at one time that you've never let go of.
You want to tell us what that conversation was?

Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What a strange thing to be concerned about.

Do you not believe in evolution? It is a well established fact. Assuming a certain group of people reproduce less than a different group, is this a concern to you?
I am a firm believer in evolution. And evolution is about passing DNA. If people with superior great ideas do not reproduce the ideas may not pass to the next generation. According to Dawkins values (memes) are passed as genes.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I'm a millennial. I was raised Catholic, and I became an atheist in 2004 at the age of 14. Lies on the internet played a role in that. However, the Lord found me now in my late 20s and I'm a Christian (not Catholic).
Um, OK.

Have you noticed many people of your age doing the same as you?

Old 12-01-2019, 12:20 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
What lies?
Primarily lies concerning Jesus's historical existence and allegation of borrowing from other religions. These lies are pervasive on the internet, but actually contradict even the secular historical consensus. I made a post just recently addressing those topics: https://www.city-data.com/forum/56753347-post65.html

Old 12-01-2019, 12:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am a firm believer in evolution. And evolution is about passing DNA. If people with superior great ideas do not reproduce the ideas may not pass to the next generation. According to Dawkins values (memes) are passed as genes.
That is a huge misunderstanding of Dawkins concept of meme.

Memes can be viewed as cultural ideas. They pass the cultural idea from person to person, mutating along the way, competing for survival of the fittest meme within a cultural environment.

A meme is not a biological construct at all. It has nothing to do with physical reproduction.

As for the thought that “superior great ideas” exist, and that they are linked to a specific biological group, that is absurd and offensive.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Primarily lies concerning Jesus's historical existence and allegation of borrowing from other religions. These lies are pervasive on the internet, but actually contradict even the secular historical consensus. I made a post just recently addressing those topics: //www.city-data.com/forum/56753347-post65.html
I am a cultural Catholic and I can tell you that the existence of a God is near zero. You probably crave an emotional high that Catholicism does not have. There is no magic my friend. If you enjoy Christianity try to be a Christian like Thomas Jefferson.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Primarily lies concerning Jesus's historical existence and allegation of borrowing from other religions. These lies are pervasive on the internet, but actually contradict even the secular historical consensus. I made a post just recently addressing those topics: https://www.city-data.com/forum/56753347-post65.html
That was an interesting post. It seems that you believe the Bible to be factually true, and anything that contradicts the Bible to be a lie posted on the internet. Is that a correct summary of your thoughts?

Old 12-01-2019, 12:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Um, people with very different genes may hold the same ideas, and people who hold the same ideas may have very different genes. Dawkins absolutely never said that ideas are passed along by specific genes. What he said is that the way memes propagate through a group of people is analogous to the way that genes spread through a population. But they are independent phenomena.

You can physically reproduce all you want, but that says nothing about the ideas that your progeny will hold. Whether your ideas are superior great ideas or not.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
That is a huge misunderstanding of Dawkins concept of meme.

Memes can be viewed as cultural ideas. They pass the cultural idea from person to person, mutating along the way, competing for survival of the fittest meme within a cultural environment.

A meme is not a biological construct at all. It has nothing to do with physical reproduction.

As for the thought that “superior great ideas” exist, and that they are linked to a specific biological group, that is absurd and offensive.
I agree with your post. However, you misunderstood my point. Kids often do as parents do. Leaving no children behind means one less person to propagate a good idea. This is how is done Fish. An exchange of ideas is best.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
I'm a millennial. I was raised Catholic, and I became an atheist in 2004 at the age of 14. Lies on the internet played a role in that. However, the Lord found me now in my late 20s and I'm a Christian (not Catholic).
Interesting that you phrase it that way. You were “found”. Meaning you considered yourself lost. It’s funny how the stress of life and not having a purpose or direction causes some people to lapse from reality in this way. I guess the pain was pretty bad. That does seem to be a common denominator with so-called “saved” people. Usually a tremendous pain from loss, abuse, etc. Then a magic moment of capitulation to take away the pain. It’s sad that people fall this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.