Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 07:59 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ha ha, funny. Good one there. However you are already being called on this and will either have to ante up or be made to look a dick. Zymer's point strikes me as soundly referencing that that PTSD is being used (as parlour psychology was in my young day) as sciencey jargon to make garbage apologetics look like a heap of secrets.

And now, I wondered, where to post this?

https://careynieuwhof.com/3-things-c...tians-despise/

I was looking to see whether the 13th Axiom was anywhere online, since atheists all Know it. It wasn't of course, but a lot of similar memes were. However, This popped up and I thought it might bear consideration, since the topic seems to be hard -hitting but fair criticism of religion.

It made me laugh a bit -just the first one - being Judgemental.

"Disclosure: without the mercy and intervention of Christ, I’m very judgmental. And years ago, I realized how devastating judgment and criticism can be to others. So I’m waging a life-long battle against it. Confessing it, repenting of it almost daily."

Yes, it's good if they fess up to that and try to improve their image in that respect.

And maybe that's what the writer does. But what it looked like to me was not changing and correcting this behaviour but repenting of his sinfulness and begging forgiveness from Jesus and not actually changing.

I could be wrong, but it looked like he was just using the problem to try to fix the problem. Maybe I'm being too judgemental myself, but I have seen the results of Theist-think and can see what will happen; telling himself that, having repented, confessed his sin and having been forgiven by Christ, he is devoid of judgementalism through Faith in Christ and is now bringing nothing but love to those atheists. And if they point out that He is just as judgemental (amongst other things) as he always was, they are lacking the wisdom through faith to understand that this is done with Love, just as a parent tells his kids that they are worthless useless pieces of crap that are bad and wicked and will come to a bad end; and in the Good Old days, he'd have give 'em a good hiding. It's all done with love to correct them.

And so, sad and pitying the atheists who point up this apparent bad image, he will threaten us with the Usual and pray for us and flounce with his saintly nose in the air in that 'I am a superior being' pose that we've all seen with the religious. Come on now, haven't you?

And will tell himself that he tried to put the problem right but these atheists are just so blind and hard -hearted. He did his honest best to correct the problem but atheists just called it dishonest and hypocritical. Well, clearly it's all their fault because, not having the Love of God in their Hearts, they cannot Understand.

Problem solved - at least in his thinking. He is not now the offender, but the persecuted martyr, traduced and mocked by the sinful atheists. I could be wrong, but I just see it working that way. Because I've seen it before.

Which naturally leads onto...
No 2. Ah yeah....hypocritical. shall we talk about that? Shall we? He might be surprised by the atheist view - or this atheist at least.
I venture to say the forum has a bit of communal PTSD when it comes to Christianity. Note how the amygdala of these people hardly fires with Islam. Many here grew up in strict evangelical homes and the PTSD is palpable when the theme of Christianity is discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 08:39 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I venture to say the forum has a bit of communal PTSD when it comes to Christianity. Note how the amygdala of these people hardly fires with Islam. Many here grew up in strict evangelical homes and the PTSD is palpable when the theme of Christianity is discussed.
Which is a valid thought if Islam were as dominant a cultural force in our society as Christianity. But it isn’t, so your thesis stalls at the start line.

I have never once been invited to attend a friend’s mosque, but invitations to Christian churches come along periodically. I have never had anybody at a business function suggest we bow our heads to Allah before eating, but some doofus seems to suggest this for Christianity every year or two. Our legal system attempts to control female sexuality through limiting birth control and access to abortion, not genetically mutilation. Our public buildings and currency are festooned with “In God We Trust”, but no mention of Allah is to be seen. Football teams have chaplains (need I specify the Christian nature) and are always getting in trouble for holding Christian team prayers.

I could fill up a wall of text illustrating the Christian privilege inherent in our society.

Yet you are shocked that a discussion forum populated by Americans, Canadians and Europeans pushes back against Christianity over Islam? Why not choose Zoroastrianism instead?

We push back against the dominant religious force in our lives. For some that may be a form of psychological trauma, but for most it is a response to an annoyance, and a threat to human values.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:22 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Which is a valid thought if Islam were as dominant a cultural force in our society as Christianity. But it isn’t, so your thesis stalls at the start line.

I have never once been invited to attend a friend’s mosque, but invitations to Christian churches come along periodically. I have never had anybody at a business function suggest we bow our heads to Allah before eating, but some doofus seems to suggest this for Christianity every year or two. Our legal system attempts to control female sexuality through limiting birth control and access to abortion, not genetically mutilation. Our public buildings and currency are festooned with “In God We Trust”, but no mention of Allah is to be seen. Football teams have chaplains (need I specify the Christian nature) and are always getting in trouble for holding Christian team prayers.

I could fill up a wall of text illustrating the Christian privilege inherent in our society.

Yet you are shocked that a discussion forum populated by Americans, Canadians and Europeans pushes back against Christianity over Islam? Why not choose Zoroastrianism instead?

We push back against the dominant religious force in our lives. For some that may be a form of psychological trauma, but for most it is a response to an annoyance, and a threat to human values.
Yeah, I'm fairly sure that if some group were to attempt to introduce Sharia Law into our court system, or push for women wearing burkas and walking several paces behind their husbands, there might be some pushback...perhaps even a bit of smiting...

---------------------------------------

Interesting note...rather than come to my door, I recently received a personal letter from an apparent JW. Initially I was a bit perplexed and disturbed that that it was properly addressed with my name and correct street address, and I was concerned as to how it might have been obtained. Later, it occurred to me that it might have been obtained by means of the property tax records which are available on-line. Although that is slightly less concerning than other ways it might have been obtained, I am still disturbed by it.

I haven't yet decided what I am going to do about it...but since I now also have a name and address, I am thinking along the line of 'legally official' looking letter, perhaps a 'cease and desist' with a threat of [civil and criminal] legal actions...conspiracy to defraud might be a good start...

Old 07-26-2020, 09:27 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:

Thank you for making my point about communal PTSD.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:

does a person have to ignore some truths that point to their reaction as "over reaction". or does the person with PTSD have to ignore the fact that them suffering from PTSD can influence a simple discussion at work causing them to have to quiestion theior response.

Again, your post proves the point. In a room full of PTSD anything that counters that base line is proven "wrong". easily I might add.

the question is can those people see it?

not of they close the door and shut themselves in.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Hmm Just the latest gimmick of yours in atheist -bashing. Just like your 'tribalism', 'anti -religion' and 'newbie atheist' scams. I doubt that you will emerge from this latest bit of trickery with much credit.

Quote:
Rather it makes mine - you are using it as a stick (you hope) to bash atheism with.

Quote:

Very good. On my KL trip, while Diversity is supposedly the watchword in Malaysia, Islam was right in the face. Christianity was Allowed, I think we can say. But Islam ruled the roost and was ruling more of it all the time. Religion is not really the problem in Europe - if we remain vigilant and become aware as a society of humanism and its' value. Right now we are just drifting without understanding ourselves as a species and society, because the teachers and leaders don't understand this either, and never will until this is Taught.

The US is different. Religion 'rules the roost' here and ...well I have written about this and you don't need me to tell you.

But, bad and worrisome as the threat of US politicised religious fundyism looks, Islam would be worse. Far worse.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-26-2020 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 10:05 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
First of all, in regard to the last post, saying there are "PTSD symptoms" is not the same as saying there is PTSD in a particular case.

Second, your comment about Islam...this has been explained to you more than once in the past. On average, 74% of the people an American interacts with each day are christians. 0.8% are Muslim.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:26 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

Similar here, despite being in a profession (education) and in an area where there were considerably more Muslims (the D.C. area) than the average American interacts with each day. Approximately 1% of our student population was Muslim. Even my adopted son being Muslim led me to interact with other Muslims only on rare, special occasions. While I lived in Thailand, a country where 4.3% of the population is Muslim, except when I woiuld travel to the 3 most-southern provinces, I rarely had interactions with Muslims.

Not one Muslim -- in either country -- has ever approached me to talk about religion.
Not one Muslim has knocked on my door to proselytize.
Not one mosque has mailed advertisements to my house in either, Maryland, Virginia, Colorado, or Arizona.
The two non-family-member invitations I have received from a Muslim had to do with the death of a former student, with his family holding a remembrance ceremony at their home, and for several years an invitation to a Malaysian Muslim's child's home for the post-Ramadan celebration.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I am truly sorry that you have a problem with reading comprehension. That must be a terrible burden to bear in a literate society.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Similar here, despite being in a profession (education) and in an area where there were considerably more Muslims (the D.C. area) than the average American interacts with each day. Approximately 1% of our student population was Muslim. Even my adopted son being Muslim led me to interact with other Muslims only on rare, special occasions. While I lived in Thailand, a country where 4.3% of the population is Muslim, except when I woiuld travel to the 3 most-southern provinces, I rarely had interactions with Muslims.

Not one Muslim -- in either country -- has ever approached me to talk about religion.
Not one Muslim has knocked on my door to proselytize.
Not one mosque has mailed advertisements to my house in either, Maryland, Virginia, Colorado, or Arizona.
The two non-family-member invitations I have received from a Muslim had to do with the death of a former student, with his family holding a remembrance ceremony at their home, and for several years an invitation to a Malaysian Muslim's child's home for the post-Ramadan celebration.
I think you might find Islam to be a bit more forceful in countries with moslem majority populations. I almost moved to a gulf state country a few years ago, and the orientation given by the university, as well as some initial conference calls with people who would be coworkers, indicated Islam would be an ever present force. Funding for the job fell through, so I never actually went.

My experience here is similar though. In my years in DC and NY, I saw similar things. A few moslem people here and there, mostly keeping their religion to themselves. I did have a friend many years ago who was interested in the Nation of Islam who wanted to talk religion and politics from time to time, and in the subway in NY I was once accosted by an Islamic proselytizer, but those are extremely rare instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism