Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 09:18 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,393,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
The problem is the assumption that religion taught moral and ethical behavior. It may have informed us what it considered moral but it did not teach it. All humans, religious or not, have pushed the boundaries on what is ethical and moral.

Right now what is being debated is culture, a.k.a. preference on how the world should be rather than what it actually is.
One more point: If you read the writings of early Christianity in the first five -8 centuries AD there is strong teaching of moral values. I suggest you read the Didache written in the 2nd century. There was a huge SJW current where the poor were exalted .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If all humans push the boundaries on what is moral or not, then how does religion teach morals?
Read the Didache. The text is available online. Just look at the first couple of pages. They were SJW central in the 2nd century.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:22 AM

51,393 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I had a look at that article. I can see why Julian likes it, what it describes as Social Justice dogma are straw men versions of the actual arguments.

I presume rational, philosophical arguments for why social justice is a good thing is beyond Julian, a level 1 philosopherbabbler.
Thank you for making me laugh out loud in the first half hour of my waking day. That's a rarity!

Julian doesn't like it much when people put labels on other people, and yet Julian puts labels on people frequently. For example, there have been MANY times when Julian has called some of us "Level 1 atheists", and I believe he has used the term "rookie atheists", as well. Just now I Googled "Levels Of Atheism". After a quick perusal I didn't find that particular classification scheme, but I did find half-a-dozen different schemes for classifying atheists. But guess what -- I don't care if I'm labeled an atheist because I am an atheist. I don't care if I'm labeled a certain level of atheist or have some descriptor attached to the term atheist in my case...as long as it's accurate.

He has used the label "social justice warriors" multiple times. I see it as a compliment for one simple reason -- I think social justice is a good thing. I think advocating for social justice is a good thing. In terms of social justice, I see status quo thinking as a bad thing.

Of course, anything can be taken too far. Atheism can be taken too far. I hardly think that posting on this internet forum is taking atheism too far. I don't think that speaking out about the need for religionists to control themselves and not attempt to involve non-religionists into their ranks is extreme. I haven't burned down any churches, nor have I advocated anyone else should. I haven't crucified any christians, not have I advocated that anyone else should. I haven't picketed. I haven't sent our mailers. I haven't stood on any street corners with pamphlets. What have I actually done -- in real life AND in this forum, when religionists have approached me/us, I have talked back. Gasp!

So to Julian, here's what I think you need to do if you're going to slap the level 1 atheist label onto me and others. Post your classification system. I wanna make sure you've put the correct label onto me. I want to know exactly what levels 1, 2, 3, and so forth consist of. I wanna graduate to the most appropriate level for me.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:25 AM

51,393 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
Yes, this extremism is a problem when it occurs. My problem is when people generalize as if SJWs or feminists all think alike. This is usually either intellectual idleness or because the people making the arguments are the people causing the inequality and do not want to change the status quo.

Which brings us back to atheist morality, because it does not exist. There is only morality, and only when we realize why we are moral can we address how to resolve moral problems such as same sex toilets.
Yes, and I'll give you a good example of this: I support blm. I do not support BLM. And yes, my support of blm is based on my moral obligations as an atheist.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:25 AM

22,850 posts, read 19,468,156 times
Quote:
If all humans push the boundaries on what is moral or not, then how does religion teach morals?
by teaching do this, don't do this.
examples: it is very nebulous to say "be generous and help others out"
it is a specific teaching "give 10% minimum, and up to 30% maximum of your take home pay."

it is nebulous to say "be kind to others"
it is a specific teaching to say "don't gossip and here is a list of the specific damage and harm that it causes and why"

those are some concrete examples of the kinds of things that religion teaches in moral and ethical behavior.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:27 AM

7,681 posts, read 4,217,357 times
I looked, Julien. This is what I found so far.

https://christianhistoryinstitute.or...module/didache

It looks like a bunch of rules.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:30 AM

7,681 posts, read 4,217,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
by teaching do this, don't do this.
examples: it is very nebulous to say "be generous and help others out"
it is a specific teaching "give 10% minimum, and up to 30% maximum of your take home pay."

it is nebulous to say "be kind to others"
it is a specific teaching to say "don't gossip and here is a list of the specific damage and harm that it causes and why"

those are some concrete examples of the kinds of things that religion teaches in moral and ethical behavior.
I agree that is teaching. That is not the teaching I received while learning religion. Does that make the way I was taught immoral?

Old 01-01-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I had a look at that article. I can see why Julian likes it, what it describes as Social Justice dogma are straw men versions of the actual arguments.

I presume rational, philosophical arguments for why social justice is a good thing is beyond Julian, a level 1 philosopherbabbler.
The article comes from an atheist website. The are well equipped to recognize the toxicity of religion. What is really astounding that you are surprised? However, if you are an SJW I would not expect you to be conscious of the cultish behavior and all established tenets. Some of the tenets demonstrate a disconnect with reality which is the hallmark of a cult.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I looked, Julien. This is what I found so far.

https://christianhistoryinstitute.or...module/didache

It looks like a bunch of rules.
Yeah, they were into teaching morality and they put it down in paper as a guide for others. Are you aware of ascetism in early Christianity?

Old 01-01-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, and I'll give you a good example of this: I support blm. I do not support BLM. And yes, my support of blm is based on my moral obligations as an atheist.
You are more concerned with the deaths of the few than the deaths of the many. That is a symptom of cultish behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism