Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 03:01 PM

51,079 posts, read 24,586,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yet you and Trans, for instance, express the view there is such a thing as "cultural Buddhism."
surely then there is such a thing as "cultural Catholicism."
do you label those who engage in "cultural Buddhism" to be "dishonest" ?

either they are both acceptable, or they are both "dishonest."
cultural Cathollicism and cultural Buddhism.
First of all, it depends on the actions of the individual.

But let's go back to what Julian does. He admits he doesn't believe in god, yet he goes and accepts the sacraments. That's the dishonest part. Since he says he participates in mass, I presume he says the creed, and that begins, "We believe in one god, the father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is seen and unseen". EXCEPT he says he doesn't believe in god. That's the dishonesty part.

Since becoming a Buddhist and an atheist, I will sometimes go to either catholic mass or a protestant service. I'll sit and think about things, listen to and consider the homily/sermon. But when it comes to things like the creed or communion, I just sit or stand silently.

That is very different than being a "lazy christian" or a "lazy Buddhist". I know lots of lazy christians and lots of lazy Buddhists. I don't see laziness to be the same thing as being dishonest. A majority of christians I have known don't go to church regularly. A majority of Buddhists I have known do not go to temple regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 03:05 PM

22,678 posts, read 19,365,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, it depends on the actions of the individual. But let's go back to what Julian does. He admits he doesn't believe in god, yet he goes and accepts the sacraments. That's the dishonest part. Since he says he participates in mass, I presume he says the creed, and that begins, "We believe in one god, the father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is seen and unseen". EXCEPT he says he doesn't believe in god. That's the dishonesty part. Since becoming a Buddhist and an atheist, I will sometimes go to either catholic mass or a protestant service. I'll sit and think about things, listen to and consider the homily/sermon. But when it comes to things like the creed or communion, I just sit or stand silently. That is very different than being a "lazy christian" or a "lazy Buddhist". I know lots of lazy christians and lots of lazy Buddhists. I don't see laziness to be the same thing as being dishonest. A majority of christians I have known don't go to church regularly. A majority of Buddhists I have known do not go to temple regularly.
if "cultural buddhism" is acceptable, then so is "cultural catholicism."
if one is "dishonest" then they both are.

the more convoluted the long and winding explanations become (as above), the more apparent the double standard is.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:09 PM

51,079 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if "cultural buddhism" is acceptable, then so is "cultural catholicism."
if one is "dishonest" then they both are.

the more convoluted the long and winding explanations become (as above), the more apparent the double standard is.
No double standard.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:20 PM

2,962 posts, read 870,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
They live in echo chambers where other views are immediately shut down. They also have massive confirmation bias and can only process information that supports the position they have. However, the biggest problem is our immense proclivity to tribalism, the US versus THEM mindset is still with us. Each side has a reason to avoid dealing with a valid point. The reason is often irrational, but it works for them. You will also find that many in some cults refuse to have a dialogue where there is no acrimony. Why? Acrimony and anger are useful tools to walk away or declare a moral victory. Others in these groups have low self esteem and cannot accept what looks like a defeat while having a philosophical argument.
I am interested in observing the psychological dynamics at play on this forum and I find you have a good big-picture view of what’s going on here.

It’s clearly an emotional outlet for many and not a place for true discussion. It’s a waste of time having an intellectual argument with someone whose goal is to argue emotionally, for cathartic reasons. An opportunity for self-righteous indignation often takes precedence over acknowledging a truth.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,641,634 times
Quote:

But let's go back to what Julian does. He admits he doesn't believe in god, yet he goes and accepts the sacraments. That's the dishonest part. Since he says he participates in mass, I presume he says the creed, and that begins, "We believe in one god, the father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is seen and unseen". EXCEPT he says he doesn't believe in god. That's the dishonesty part.

Since becoming a Buddhist and an atheist, I will sometimes go to either catholic mass or a protestant service. I'll sit and think about things, listen to and consider the homily/sermon. But when it comes to things like the creed or communion, I just sit or stand silently.

That is very different than being a "lazy christian" or a "lazy Buddhist". I know lots of lazy christians and lots of lazy Buddhists. I don't see laziness to be the same thing as being dishonest. A majority of christians I have known don't go to church regularly. A majority of Buddhists I have known do not go to temple regularly.
I have said those things simply because I was bored ...

the difference phet is that you have emotional response to saying it. I, and presumably he, don't.

maybe focus on that.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:54 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,376,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
An opportunity for self-righteous indignation often takes precedence over acknowledging a truth.
That is a quote for posterity!

This one correlates with yours.

Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience.

Adam Smith

Old 01-01-2021, 04:04 PM

Double post

Old 01-01-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Phet: I have done that for my entire life. It is a freaking ritual and nothing else. And yes, it is dishonest if there was a God. However, there is no God.

Quote:

I don't Phet. I take communion and even kneel and genuflect. I enjoy history and traditions. I enjoy a good Schubert Ave Maria. I am no different than Richard Dawkins who very much acknowledges the importance of Christianity in the history of the British isles. Catholicism is part of who I am as a person.

Quote:
Yes, Phet! I am dishonest with myself. I fake an orgasm when I take communion. Oops, i hope the forum members realize that was hyperbole, a figure of speech.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:08 PM

22,678 posts, read 19,365,600 times
it is exactly what is described as "cultural Buddhism" by several atheists on CD who claim it is perfectly acceptable.
cut to the chase. it's fine for some to claim "cultural Buddhism"
but "dishonest" for others to have "cultural Catholicism."

plain and simple. pure double standard.
if he claims cultural Catholicism is "dishonest" then so too is "cultural Buddhism."

Old 01-01-2021, 04:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,665,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Phet: I have done that for my entire life. It is a freaking ritual and nothing else. And yes, it is dishonest if there was a God. However, there is no God.

I don't Phet. I take communion and even kneel and genuflect. I enjoy history and traditions. I enjoy a good Schubert Ave Maria. I am no different than Richard Dawkins who very much acknowledges the importance of Christianity in the history of the British isles. Catholicism is part of who I am as a person.

Yes, Phet! I am dishonest with myself. I fake an orgasm when I take communion. Oops, i hope the forum members realize that was hyperbole, a figure of speech.
But don't others observe you participating in those sacraments, and saying those words? Isn't it reasonable they would conclude you are declaring yourself to be a believer? Isn't that a requirement to take communion in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism