Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 06:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,385,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah ... exactly ... "arach you are dim or dishonest" ... exactly my point.
Yep, some atheists subconsciously look to replace the religion they left behind and remain tribal in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 07:00 AM

16,759 posts, read 15,806,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Phet: I have done that for my entire life. It is a freaking ritual and nothing else. And yes, it is dishonest if there was a God. However, there is no God.
It surely is dishonest. You are also dishonest in constantly calling yourself an agnostic. Agnostic simply meant that the existence of God cannot be proven. You said there is no God. That belief is the definition of an atheist.

Quote:
I don't Phet. I take communion and even kneel and genuflect. I enjoy history and traditions. I enjoy a good Schubert Ave Maria. I am no different than Richard Dawkins who very much acknowledges the importance of Christianity in the history of the British isles. Catholicism is part of who I am as a person.
Oh, you're a lot different from Richard Dawkins. Besides being a genius, he's also honest.

Quote:
Yes, Phet! I am dishonest with myself. I fake an orgasm when I take communion. Oops, i hope the forum members realize that was hyperbole, a figure of speech.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I knew it!

You found an angle to denigrate me. I have not been a believer since age 13. There is such a thing as an agnostic Christian. It is just culture!
Most Christians are agnostic Christians. That means that they believe in God and worship Jesus, while recognizing that the existence of God is not absolutely knowable. A "Gnostic Christian" believes the same thing, but claims to "know" that God exists.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
For the love of God. We have done this ALL of our lives. It is social event!
If you don't believe God exists (as you said), why would you say "For the love of God?" Most of the non-believers use some other phrase.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It surely is dishonest. You are also dishonest in constantly calling yourself an agnostic. Agnostic simply meant that the existence of God cannot be proven. You said there is no God. That belief is the definition of an atheist.
OK, you are a literalist.

Quote:
Oh, you're a lot different from Richard Dawkins. Besides being a genius, he's also honest.
One does not have to be a genius to do what Dawkins do.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
If you don't believe God exists (as you said), why would you say "For the love of God?" Most of the non-believers use some other phrase.
For the love of God is an idiomatic expression. Is a lot like OMG.
Why do you take things so literally? For example when I say my brother is as tall as a mountain it does not he is that tall. When I say my eyes are as blue as the heavens it does not mean there is a heaven. It is just language Mensa.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
For the love of God is an idiomatic expression. Is a lot like OMG.
Why do you take things so literally? For example when I say my brother is as tall as a mountain it does not he is that tall. When I say my eyes are as blue as the heavens it does not mean there is a heaven. It is just language Mensa.
Nevertheless, you seem to be the only atheist that posts here that ever says that. It's one of those things that make me go "Hmmmm."

Old 01-02-2021, 08:25 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Hmm. My daughter has taken communion when she's attended Christmas Eve services with me in the past. She's technically a cradle Episcopalian, but she's not a Christian. She participates in the ritual, though. As a matter of fact, the priest made the usual announcement that he has gf hosts for those who may need them, and she went up and said to him, "I need the gluten-free Body of Christ".

One year my niece, who has never had any church exposure outside of weddings and whatnot was with me for Christmas Eve, and she took communion, too. She came back to the pew and said, "I always wanted to do that."

Episcopalians are much looser about the Eucharist than Catholics, though. Anybody's welcome to partake, but that fits in with the general idea that they don't hold Christianity to be the only valid spiritual path. Catholicism has a different outlook on that.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Nevertheless, you seem to be the only atheist that posts here that ever says that. It's one of those things that make me go "Hmmmm."
I am 99% certain there is no God. So I call myself an agnostic. And like Dawkins says in his video I acknowledge Christian culture.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I am 99% certain there is no God. So I call myself an agnostic. And like Dawkins says in his video I acknowledge Christian culture.
That's not what the word "agnostic" means. You go right ahead and acknowledge Christian culture. Your acknowledgement is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism